• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Probably the Souls games and Bloodborne. They have some standouts, e.g. Gwyn and Ludwig the Holy Blade, but the rest isn't super memorable to me (though it is generally still a good soundtrack).

Nov 1, 2017
Even if I personally enjoy the ost's for some of the games mentioned I can understand why others would hate them or vice versa...but I didn't even know Bloodborne/Souls were revered for their soundtracks. All I remember is silence and generic fantasy epic music during boss battles.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the Souls games and Bloodborne. They have some standouts, e.g. Gwyn and Ludwig the Holy Blade, but the rest isn't super memorable to me (though it is generally still a good soundtrack).
Unfortunately, I feel part of what makes a track memorable is the context it plays in. You remember Gwyn and Ludwig the Holy Blade because those tracks are timed perfectly for maximum impact.

Meanwhile, something like Amygdala's theme goes unnoticed even when it has some of the best use of strings I've ever heard in a video game.

This isn't "bad" or "bland", it's a phenomenal track that you only barely hear in the background as a big monster roars and stomps over it. And the parts that will stick out to you will probably be the vocals, which lose their impact without the buildup.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Max Payne 3. Didn't even realize the airport scene had discernible music until people were constantly referencing it as some high point.

You don't remember the 50 pieces using the same theme? The thing that sticks out to me from Automata is just hearing the same thing over and over.

I mean, I remember this a lot too, but what that actual tune was doesn't come to my head at the moment.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've seen Fire Emblem Three Houses get a ton of praise for its soundtrack when in reality it's "good battle/map themes and completely forgettable everything else."

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The original from Splatton is horrible. Is like someone threw a tennis ball in a room full of trash cans, recorded, and put on the game. Splaaton 2 is not perfect, but a improvement in every way, at least.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda feel Halo is mostly good at knowing exactly when to use its soundtrack, rather than me caring super much for the individual tracks themselves.

meanwhile halo 2's all like

When it plays in game (at least in the original, not sure in the Xbone version) there are no lyrics which is more fitting for the game.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Secret of Mana's OST is up there for me. I think its first track is great, but the rest of it is generally mediocre in my view. It's certainly not what I consider one of the best SNES OSTs.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Overrated is not the word I would use and that fucking word should be banned from the dictionary.

With that being said, I'm gonna echo a lot of other replies in this thread, never understood the massive praise Nier Automata gets for its OST. The tracks are relatively simplistic and heavily rely on vocals, to me it just sounds like Hiroyuki Sawano on steroids, competent but slightly irritating.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I don't get the term overrated anymore. At this point it's "list popular thing you don't like"

I guess to not waste threadspace I'll say the new God of War ost. I liked Baldur's theme and that's it

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong Country does absolutely nothing for me at all. I don't see what people like about that soundtrack.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Persona 5's soundtrack is completely forgettable outside of it's vocal tracks, which honestly don't reach much higher than great. Not enough to warrant calling the whole thing amazing.

Nier Automata isn't as overrated IMO but it will always live in the shadow of OG Nier's soundtrack, which is a masterpiece.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this thread

The Last of Us. I thought it felt more like background noise than a meaningful soundtrack for the most part. I also couldn't remember a single song after playing it.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Doom 2016 and eternal, I dont hate them or think they are bad or anything, but I dont really like them much either. I guess I always just envisioned a modern doom sounding like 80s/90s metal since so much of the original games ost was taken from that.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What does overrated mean in this context? A soundtrack people generally praise but you personally don't enjoy? Who is doing the rating?
You know everyone is just going to name popular OSTs

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I certainly wouldn't call them overrated as in the context of the games they do work but I'm not a fan of the very film-like orchestra music with choirs, chanting and heavy percussive sounds. But that's simply because I like more melodic, punchy music.

tungmin97

Apr 3, 2019
1 post in and I hate this entire thread.
I mean sure you can say this game or that is overrated, but soundtracks?

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
What in the fuck, I just saw someone say they think the Secret of Mana soundtrack is "mediocre". Can we get some mods in here? Maaawwwwwwds!

Crystal Spire

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Nier Automata. The first game had far superior soundtrack, its good but not great.
Also I agree with Dark Souls series being meh, but anyone saying Bloodborne is a mad man.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
FF XIII or FF X. Needless to say, I am not a fan of of Masashi Hamauzu. Expecting a lot of the music in FF VII-R to disappoint me.

Oct 25, 2017
The Galaxy games.

I think the orchestration deafened people to the reality of there being better Mario soundtracks with less bells and whistles.

They're still good though.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5's soundtrack is completely forgettable outside of it's vocal tracks, which honestly don't reach much higher than great. Not enough to warrant calling the whole thing amazing.

Came in here to say this. Outside of the opening, battle music, and a couple of other tracks it's all visual novel-style lazy bloop-de-bloop crap, just with slightly unusual instrumentation. People who claim to love it really only like about 6 of the 80+ tracks.

Same with P4 except there are like 10 good ones.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't with this thread. I'll say some soundtracks like Nier Automata probably do carry a lot more relevance for people deep into the games because of the emotional resonance with their usage in the game but like even apart from the game Okabe's work is just astounding I just can't comprehend how someone can hear something like Alien Manifestation , Vague Hope or A Beautiful Song and just be like "Eh, that's okay"

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Anything by Tim Follin. I've never liked his style. He knows how to produce good sounds and auras, special effects, and to find ways to make consoles sound in ways that you wouldn't think possible, but in terms of musical composition and song progression, there's just... nothing there. It just always sounds like a string of random improvised solos with no rhyme or reason, no verse/chorus structure, no buildups, no punches, no hooks,... I couldn't hum any of his songs because there's absolutely nothing hummable about them. I get that this is the whole point of prog music, but prog sucks. I don't like stuff like Dream Theater and the like for the same reasons. It just sounds so boring to me.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy. Just the series in general. That's not to say there isn't some fine music but boy is it overrated.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Don't like the Splatoon soundtracks much at all, the squeaky, spastic vocals get so obnoxious and some tracks (especially in #2) just plod.

Also as far as composers go, I was never big into Shimomura after the 16 bit gen (I really like SF2, Live A Live, and Mario RPG though). Stuff all seems forgettable with the same instrument palette.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
You are fucking brave for this post.

That poster has never exactly made a secret of their hate for FFVIII lol

Came in here to say this. Outside of the opening, battle music, and a couple of other tracks it's all visual novel-style lazy bloop-de-bloop crap, just with slightly unusual instrumentation. People who claim to love it really only like about 6 of the 80+ tracks.

Same with P4 except there are like 10 good ones.

This on the other hand is just condescending horse shit