• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Every Confederate monument.
You mean 'Civil War participations trohpies?'

9dpwbb76uq941.jpg

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I would like if more if they could have recreated its original walls and layout, turning the inside of that space into a park.
But nah, a wax museum is much better.

The entirety of the area surrounding it and the river walk are a huge tourist trap, but that's to be expected. I legitimately really like the Ripley's Haunted House + Museum and the Guinness World Records Museum that are directly across the street from it, they're pretty cool.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
The cathedrals I've been to were still awe-inspiring. I get what you're saying, they shouldn't be celebrated without acknowledging their purpose, but I definitely wouldn't call them disappointing.

Honestly I'm not a fan of traveling to historic locations in general. The few that have been really impressive didn't really have anything to do with their history (for example I toured a battleship that had some claim to fame I can't remember and it was awesome, but I don't think walking around one that hadn't done anything notable would have been any less fun). My best advice is to have a good idea of why you want to go to a location. There's a lot of places like Rushmore that are basically just tourist traps people visit just for the sake of saying they have.

Yeah, you're right in this regard. It's actually a point of contention for me when people discount the inherent amazing characteristics of physical things due to the intent of them existing.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Also seeing the Mona Lisa in the Louvre was about as anticlimactic experience as you could wish for
Yeah I'll go with the Mona Lisa but the Louvre as a whole was fucking awesome.
I have been to Paris once and, as such, only went to the Lovre once...

But went quite late and underestimated how MASSIVE it was and how much stuff it actually contains, absolutely fascinating stuff... ended up not even seeing the Mona Lisa. In fact, missed out and entire wing of the museum due to time.

So, I've been to the Louvre and didn't see the single most famous painting in the place...

But I did see Gabrielle d'Estrées et une de ses soeurs, without even trying to find it, so the meme value sort of made up for it.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Tbh, all of them.

I never understood this obsession to waste your time going out of your way to visit this sit you can look up online.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Since I'm starting to study (for real!) world history, I thought I would ask this question to see which sites I should avoid or approach with a grain of salt.

All I got is a few Cathedrals, which by the way were designed the way they were to establish religious dominance over the proles.

What do you mean exactly? The location they were placed on? Their size? Something else?

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, all of them.

I never understood this obsession to waste your time going out of your way to visit this sit you can look up online.
I suppose the immersion aspect and that pictures still don't always do the places justice.

Sagrada Familia, for example, is beautiful, but I haven't see a single picture that captures how truly stunning it is both inside and out.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I hate to say it, and I'm only half serious, but the Coliseum in Rome.

Its honestly beautiful. But the Airbnb we stayed at was like 10 minutes up the road from it, so we passed it like 4 or 5 times a day, for 4 days.

"Its just a stone" was our favorite thing to say about it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Least disappointing was Alcatraz and the audio tour. Like, whoa. I would normally avoid that kinda touristy shit like the plague but there's a reason it's won a ton of awards. You get a dramatic narrated tour featuring real voices of former prisoners and a kind of documentary drama that plays out. The place itself is fascinating, views are spectacular and the night tour is different but just as cool. Back when I went you carried around a clunky unit with headphones. May be better these days.

London had a ton of quite lame historical attractions. Too many to list. Buckingham Palace is probably the worst because you are just one of a thousand idiots staring into a gigantic front yard that's irritating because your taxes paid for it and it's a fantastic reminder that anything Tories argue the Royals do for tourism dollars would be better and more efficient without expensive delicate inbred socially tone deaf German and Greek aristocrats living in it - and you'd be able to see the inside too. On the other hand there's far more upside historically in the City - and the museums would make up for it anyway.

Most surprisingly amazing and gorgeous (but not technicallly historical) was Zion canyon. The Grand Canyon's photos don't do it justice but they do a much better job than photos of Zion can. In real life they're both jaw dropping, but Zion is more surprising because of the gulf between photos and reality.

Kyoto is gorgeous in places and because it's a big Japanese city, it's dense with fascinating, entertaining or interesting stuff, but the general nature of the city is pretty dull. Unless you're at a castle or a palace, it's just a bleh sort of city, although the rivers and mountains make it more interesting geologically than Tokyo which is just buildings.

Crooked street in San Francisco

Lombard Street is dumb, but it's ABSURD that people who CHOSE to buy or rent on that street sued and tried other actions to stop traffic and tourists driving down it. Like, you knew EXACTLY what you were doing when you moved there, and it's expensive as shit, so there's no way you were forced to live there. Although I thought this story was a funny inversion of that. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-their-taxes-so-someone-bought-their-street/

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The Winchester Mystery house felt a lot like a let down. There's not really any furniture anywhere, and you can't explore it freely like a museum, so it's just one empty room after another with occasional weird stuff. Gift shop was cool, though.
Stratford Upon Avon was also way more touristy than historical.

(Winner for me is Golden Gate Bridge but my dad's idea to hike across to it from a non-authorised bus stop only to find it covered in fog might be to blame).

Salem was very underwhelming.

Most of the actual historic events happened in the bordering towns. Salem's a really nice city with great shops and restaurants but 90% of the witch-related stuff is a tourist trap.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the alamo but to be fair you'd have to demolish and then maintain a quarter mile+ of its proximity to "recreate" what it was then

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Winchester Mystery house felt a lot like a let down. There's not really any furniture anywhere, and you can't explore it freely like a museum, so it's just one empty room after another with occasional weird stuff. Gift shop was cool, though.
Stratford Upon Avon was also way more touristy than historical.

(Winner for me is Golden Gate Bridge but my dad's idea to hike across to it from a non-authorised bus stop only to find it covered in fog might be to blame).

Most of the actual historic events happened in the bordering towns. Salem's a really nice city with great shops and restaurants but 90% of the witch-related stuff is a tourist trap.

Agreed. Mystery House is trash. GG Bridge is amazing. Best views are from the bluffs on the north west side - lots of great hikes there too including the extended buts from Dipsea. We went one night to watch this happen (although I think this story is a later repeat event) where the tolerances including tides and bouyancy meant the cranes could get as close as four feet from scraping.

www.sfgate.com

Towering cranes pass under local bridges

A ship carrying three new container cranes arrived at the Port of Oakland this morning...

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Zadar is a lovely place and I'd recommend anyone to spend a night if travelling Croatia. Built around a Roman forum, fresh great tasting seafood, quirky sea organ and light up floor and I had an amazing view of all of it from the £10 hostel dorm I had to myself.

Unfortunately I stayed two nights, I've never been so bored travelling as I was that second full day day and following morning. I'd done everything I wanted to do the first afternoon/evening.

You may wonder who is rating it, well it won an award for top European destination or something in 2016, so that's why it's most overrated. It also looks so much more fun on social media.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I guess the Big Ben. Wasn't that big. I've only been to London once during a school trip and didnt get a good impression. Guess I need to go back someday and explore it in a more relaxed way.

Most impressive for me were WW2 locations in Normandy, like Point du Hoc and the American Memorial. During that holiday I also watched Band of Brothers for the first time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. Mystery House is trash. GG Bridge is amazing. Best views are from the bluffs on the north west side - lots of great hikes there too including the extended buts from Dipsea. We went one night to watch this happen (although I think this story is a later repeat event) where the tolerances including tides and bouyancy meant the cranes could get as close as four feet from scraping.

www.sfgate.com

Towering cranes pass under local bridges

A ship carrying three new container cranes arrived at the Port of Oakland this morning...

I'm in the opposite opinion for Winchester Mystery House. Place is so fucking bizarre, especially since it's the work of someone who took its intent so seriously.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Another disappointing one for me as a youngster was the Blarney Stone; queue up to lie down, lean your head back and kiss a rock

As someone said above one that 100% lived up to expectations for me was Notre Damme, stunning place

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Honestly, the Vatican museums were just so obnoxious because they cram just so many people in that you're literally being fed down a hallway, shoulder to shoulder with hoards of people like you're taking part in a protest. I couldn't really see the ground.
And so besides having to line up for far too long, once you're in, you can't even take anything in because you're constantly moving with the crowd. You only get a glancing look at all of the beautiful art.

You get to stop for a few minutes in the Sistine chapel and then you're once again ushered all the way out. Very frustrating.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Sumter. Just a long ass boat ride to a gift shop on an island. Most of the fort isn't even there. It's like it blew up or something.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
The Bridge on the River Kwai, mostly because of the people laying down on it taking selfies.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Angkor Wat is so crowded that even though it really is an incredible architectural artifact it's really hard to enjoy it and take in. Happily, there are other sections of the Angkor ruins that are much less trafficked and just as cool, so if you're visiting the area try going for some of the more hidden areas.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Stonehenge. It was a 4 hour train-ride to see a bunch of big rocks.

This.

i love historical places and find them facinating and can usually set my expectations accordingly.

thankfully ive seen stonehenge multiple times as its on the way to my cousins, but you have to stand so far away from it and at the end of the day it is, and i usually hate this phrase, just a pile of rocks

its much more interesting discussing how they go there, rather then what is actually there,

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It's not exactly a secret what Stonehenge consists of, I don't know what else would have expected to find there lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
It is but it's not really a whole day thing.

You're probably going to end up in an expensive bar or restaurant eventually

I see what you mean. I dunno, I find the Alamo pretty awesome, but I admit that it's not worth traveling from, say, Moscow just to see it. It's easier to justify seeing it when you live in, say, Austin.