• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zelent

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
It's upsetting to see Half-Life 2 in the first post. I feel Half-Life 1 and 2 deserve a lot of credit. They both completely revolutionized the gaming landscape. I still consider them two of the best games of all time.

In terms of underrated, Breath of the Wild gets way too much credit/praise. I'm a big Zelda fan, but I just couldn't get into BotW. It lacked a lot of aspects that made Zelda games special.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Hey, a thread full of hot takes from people who have never played said games.

First page with Bloodborne, Half-Life 2, Breath of the Wild and The Witcher 3...

It's ERA alright.

You expect people to have an 83 Metacritic game as their "Most overrated" ?

It kinda implies that it's gonna be a critically acclaimed game that you "only" found good/ok.

Just because somebody is mentioning your favorite game doesn't mean they haven't played it...

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This type of thread is a breeding ground for rampant hyperbole and negativity...

...Perfect for ERA, I guess!

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Has to be RDR 2, just for how incredibly divisive it was among players since day 1, while getting straight 10's across the board from reviewers.

I can totally understand why people love it, just like I can understand why people hate. But ALL reviewers loved it? It's just weird...

Zelent

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
It actually warms my heart to see the overall consensus in this thread about Breath of the Wild.
Every podcast and media outlet praises the game as if it's like an 11/10.
BotW is a decent Nintendo game, but a BAD Zelda entry.
I thought I was the only person in the world with this opinion.

After pondering this topic a bit more, I figured I'd throw a few more overrated games (in order of severity)...
  1. Breath of the Wild
  2. Any of Bethesda's Fallout games (they ruined the Fallout franchise, albeit New Vegas was an okay entry)
  3. Witcher 3 (Suffers from similar issues to Breath of the Wild. A bit too open-world. I would prefer something more tight. Witcher 2 had the perfect blend of exploration and story.)
  4. Red Dead Redemption 1 (Haven't played 2)
  5. Any 2D Sonic game (Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are underrated in my opinion, especially 2)
  6. Celeste
  7. Resident Evil 4
  8. Tetris (Puyo Puyo deserves more attention)
  9. Final Fantasy XV (I'm surprised at the number of critics who claim this to be a good game. It's a mediocre game at best, and an atrocious FF game at worse)
  10. Civilization series

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
It actually warms my heart to see the overall consensus in this thread about Breath of the Wild.
Every podcast and media outlet praises the game as if it's like an 11/10.
BotW is a decent Nintendo game, but a BAD Zelda entry.
I thought I was the only person in the world with this opinion.

After pondering this topic a bit more, I figured I'd throw a few more overrated games (in order of severity)...
  1. Breath of the Wild
  2. Any of Bethesda's Fallout games (they ruined the Fallout franchise, albeit New Vegas was an okay entry)
  3. Witcher 3 (Suffers from similar issues to Breath of the Wild. A bit too open-world. I would prefer something more tight. Witcher 2 had the perfect blend of exploration and story.)
  4. Red Dead Redemption 1 (Haven't played 2)
  5. Any 2D Sonic game (Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are underrated in my opinion, especially 2)
  6. Celeste
  7. Resident Evil 4
  8. Tetris (Puyo Puyo deserves more attention)
  9. Final Fantasy XV (I'm surprised at the number of critics who claim this to be a good game. It's a mediocre game at best, and an atrocious FF game at worse)
  10. Civilization series

Good list.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Is RDR 2 even that overrated now that its been out for a few months? Seems to me majority had issues with the game.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim and Witcher 3. Out of the AAA space I feel like most of the indie games post 2012 after Journey/FTL/Fez are overrated as hell.

Is RDR 2 even that overrated now that its been out for a few months? Seems to me majority had issues with the game.
Majority where? Even in the Era bubble RDR2 made it to Top 3 GOTY 2018. It's a fine game that will stand the test of time due to it's groundbreaking dynamic open world design, storytelling and character building.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God Of War 2 is my pick
I don't like to retroactively go shit on old games from modern standards but I will shit on games that were overrated compared to my standards on release.

When God of War(the original) released, Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox had already been released the prior year and DMC3 had just been released. They had raised the standards for what action games could be in terms of combat depth, A.I. and stylish combo systems. God of War still managed to be somewhat fresh at the time by wrapping together great use of QTE's in an action game with a focus on cinematic angles. I felt it was a bit overrated at the time.

Now roll forward a few more years at the end of the PS2's cycle and we have the release of God of War 2 that was critically acclaimed all over the place. I enjoyed the game but after a few years of letting Ninja Gaiden & DMC3(and their amazing expanded releases) sink in, it made me realize that publications valued cinematic style way to much over other gameplay aspects.

Dec 23, 2017
Just my opinion an overrated game is not a game that you would give a 9 but not a 10. A overrated game is more like it got a 10 and you see it more like a 6-7.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Skyrim and Witcher 3. Out of the AAA space I feel like most of the indie games post 2012 after Journey/FTL/Fez are overrated as hell.

Majority where? Even in the Era bubble RDR2 made it to Top 3 GOTY 2018. It's a fine game that will stand the test of time due to it's groundbreaking dynamic open world design, storytelling and character building.
Can we wait like at least 5 years minimum to claim that such n such game will stand the test of time? And as much as I like RDR 2 and it was my GOTY, the issues the game has is not exclusive to ERA bubble, its not the worst piece of shit like some people claim to be, but neither its issue free. And boi it does have some very significant issues that someone like me who is more lenient towards games could not look past those flaws

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breather of the Wild, boring, un-inspired open world, clunky weapon system etc.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Elder's Scrolls: Skyrim.

The most clunkiest gameplay I have ever played. Those of you who say Breath of the Wild and don't say Skyrim boggles my mind.

For me personally, all Bethesda's modern TES and Fallout games (New Vegas from Obsidian was fantastic though)
Biggest disappointment was BioShock Infinite - after both previous fantastic BioShock games Infinite was just a major letdown

Agreed 100% about the Bethesda games. They're all medicore at best in my eyes. But, I do see the appeal of them.

I do find it funny that I loved Bioshock: Infinite 100% more than the first two. I know that's pretty unpopular, I always felt that Infinite did a lot of great things and was really fun to play. Not to say the first two were bad or anything, but I never liked the puzzles you had to do to hack things.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This gen? Probably Breath of the Wild for many reasons gone over millions of times.

In terms of pure review score, I'd say Red Dead 2(and I actually loved the game).

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
MSG4.
It's an absolute turd (to me). a bloated overdose of utterly stupid cutscene nonsense (my god the eggs, the monkey, diarrhea johnny) that kills whatever good little gems of gameplay are hidden in there (and there are, somewhere in the hour and a half of real gameplay the game contains), with whole acts being nothing but a barrage of insulting stupid babble logorrhoea with zero game.
Make it stop, make it stop, i beg you let me play, stop this stupid dumb shit i can hear my neurons tapping out. somebody help me.
And my god the ending that never ends, ho please add some more dumb nonsensical shit on top of the pile why the fuck not after all.
i'm sorry mgs fans but i can't.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
RDR2 felt like such an old-style game that I could never find the interest to go back and play it.
After playing something as free and open as AC: Odyssey I just couldn't do the linear style missions and insta-fail style that is in RDR2. Not to mention the absolutely terrible controls and input lag that felt like I was moving in molasses the entire time.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For me, maybe Chrono Trigger.

It's a good, even a great game. And the music is phenomenal. But I see so many people holding it up as the greatest RPG of all time, including it winning ResetEra's top RPGs voting list, which I really don't get. It's good all around, but there isn't any aspect of it that really stands out to me as super special. I don't find the story or characters to be especially compelling, and I don't find the battle system to be especially interesting. It's not the kind of game that has really deep customization options, which is what I find really fun in RPGs.

tenor.gif

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You heard it here folks, if you think BotW is overrated you're wrong because some journalists on metacritic rated it a 97. Forget that taste in video games is subjective or that many times the average gamer has a different perspective than the professional journalist. And then to top it all off you said Wind Waker is more of a new IP than Bloodborne to Dark Souls.

This thread is entertaining.
I hope I can address you without getting on your ignorelist immediately, I just wanted to point some things out. I think what he was trying to say is that your assumption of people who think BotW one of the best games ever simply not having played much else, otherwise they wouldn't hold that opinion, is kind of wrong when you see the critics, who most definetly played other games and consoles.

Listen, my favourite games this gen are Bloodborne and BotW, for entirely different reasons. I read your opinion as an attempt at dismissing the opinions of those who say BoTW is a GoaT game by saying they don't play anything else.

And sorry, but if you want to call someone who disagrees with you defensive because they simply engage in a discussion with you about a game you think is overrated, how do you call someone who tells others they must not have played Bloodborne or even own a PS4 if they think Bloodborne is overrated? Just a friendly reminder that that's exactly what you did when talking to someone else in here, and I found that way more defensive than anything that Phantom Thief wrote. By a huge margin, actually.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile

The game online population is declining each day compared to GTA V. Mainly because of the same problems stated by others.

Oct 30, 2017
RDR2. I've had to drag myself through it. Currently on the post-chapter chapters. Hoping it ends soon. Have no idea how anyone could possibly 100% such a slog of a game. Your hand is held almost the whole way through, and nothing has any impact. I felt zero emotion from any of the story beats, and could barely remember who some 'important' characters were by the end of the game. Every town is seemingly teeming with life, yet I never felt like spending any time in the towns because they somehow felt completely devoid of life or anything intriguing. What's the use in exploration when anything there is to discover is indicated on a map?

Awful controls, bland shooting that never feels exciting or rewaridng, and bizarre animations that get in the way of the flow of the game also affected my enjoyment.

I give Rockstar credit for their ambition and releasing such a slow-burn of a game to an audience that increasingly craves instant gratification, but the game just isn't very good.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
You heard it here folks, if you think BotW is overrated you're wrong because some journalists on metacritic rated it a 97. Forget that taste in video games is subjective or that many times the average gamer has a different perspective than the professional journalist. And then to top it all off you said Wind Waker is more of a new IP than Bloodborne to Dark Souls.

This thread is entertaining.

I think your opinion here especially the post prior where you insinuated people who rank BOTW are sheltered are salty and one step removed from gamefaq.tier console warrioring

I mean you're not the only one to make such comments since 2017 , but you seem wedded to this alternate reality where BOTW somehow got a pass because of Nintendo fans. You're painting in broad strokes here.

This is Legend of Belda level of argumentation. I encourage you to rethink your stance. By all means continue to say BOTW is overrated. But your reasoning around it is terrible

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
For me, maybe Chrono Trigger.

It's a good, even a great game. And the music is phenomenal. But I see so many people holding it up as the greatest RPG of all time, including it winning ResetEra's top RPGs voting list, which I really don't get. It's good all around, but there isn't any aspect of it that really stands out to me as super special. I don't find the story or characters to be especially compelling, and I don't find the battle system to be especially interesting. It's not the kind of game that has really deep customization options, which is what I find really fun in RPGs.

Building on this: Radiant Historia.
Everybodies (2nd) favorite timetravel-RPG. People talked about this game as though it had a sense of scale with multiple timelines, driven forward by "mature" wellwritten characters and "adult" story. The gameplay was innovating and had "real" depth.

What it really was:
An extremely narrow and confined game. Probably one of the most linear JRPGs I´ve ever played. And while I normally enjoy JRPGs that doesn´t have much fluff and "openess", the way this game is build still makes it feel way too long (hint: lot´s of backtracking and lazy enemy colourswaps).

The characters and story have a coat of paint of something ever-so-slightly mature, but almost immediately the game scratches all that paint off and shows it´s true generic JRPG-Trope-City-paint job again for the rest of the game. The characters act as dumb and childish as a lot of other JRPGs. They also won´t shut up and has to say the same thing at least 3 times.

The gameplay, while at least doing something new, is incredibly tedious, easy and boring. The extra depth people talk about is getting to set up the playing field and then doing the same thing as every other game. The extra layers just consist of the doing the same thing, but more.

It´s not a bad game. The soundtrack is pretty good, but very small. The game is perfectly serviceable, and I would certainly consider it above average, but I don´t understand how people can call it the best JRPG ever and something like that.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Building on this: Radiant Historia.
Everybodies (2nd) favorite timetravel-RPG. People talked about this game as though it had a sense of scale with multiple timelines, driven forward by "mature" wellwritten characters and "adult" story. The gameplay was innovating and had "real" depth.

What it really was:
An extremely narrow and confined game. Probably one of the most linear JRPGs I´ve ever played. And while I normally enjoy JRPGs that doesn´t have much fluff and "openess", the way this game is build still makes it feel way too long (hint: lot´s of backtracking and lazy enemy colourswaps).

The characters and story have a coat of paint of something ever-so-slightly mature, but almost immediately the game scratches all that paint off and shows it´s true generic JRPG-Trope-City-paint job again for the rest of the game. The characters act as dumb and childish as a lot of other JRPGs. They also won´t shut up and has to say the same thing at least 3 times.

The gameplay, while at least doing something new, is incredibly tedious, easy and boring. The extra depth people talk about is getting to set up the playing field and then doing the same thing as every other game. The extra layers just consist of the doing the same thing, but more.

It´s not a bad game. The soundtrack is pretty good, but very small. The game is perfectly serviceable, and I would certainly consider it above average, but I don´t understand how people can call it the best JRPG ever and something like that.
I can agree with this assessment of Radiant Historia. I liked it but I didn't love it, largely due to the reasons you mentioned. One thing I'll praise the game for, though, is its breakneck pacing, especially in the beginning of the game. It feels like something really important happens like every 5 minutes. However the game does feel too long to me, and eventually wore me down.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim. I must have started that game 5 times over the years, both vanilla and modded, and I just can't get into it. So fucking boring.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Breath of the Wild is up there. It had cool ideas and structurally was well put together but it had pacing issues for me in terms of downtime vs interesting content, and a lot of the "meat" of the game was so underwhelming and missing proper rewards. I missed well designed dungeons with exciting dungeon items. The sheer amount of very short puzzle shrines with long load/cutscene downtime before and after, all with the same music, aesthetics, and reward, made the game feel a bit repetitive. It's great to have other options for combat but it's still significant that swordplay was the least satisfying it's been since N64 because you're going to be using that very awkward and uncool flurry rush more and more as the game goes on and enemies get more health. The story rung hollow with me, especially the flashback cutscenes because of the voice acting. The only place the whole game really came together into a cohesive, compelling whole was Eventide Island--that was a truly great experience and highlight of the year like New Donk City was in Odyssey. But the rest of the game didn't reach nearly that level.

That's not to say the game sucks. It's definitely a good game. I just wouldn't put it up there with the best Zeldas let alone in its own super-god tier like many others.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
Probably Dark Souls, the first one specifically. I've had people talk to me about how it's not great after Anor Londo, and I agree. But these same people will then say it's a perfect game.

C'mon son.

Oct 30, 2017
Hideo Kojima throws political, scientific, ethical, and moral quandaries at a wall and writes a (nonsensical) story on what sticks. But people admire it because his cutscenes are longer than a standard piss-break and people shit themselves so that's funny.

Soulsborne stories are faux-convoluted and are partially-filled husks that force the audience to fill in nearly every blank. It is the Mad-Libs of video games. It is Destiny's Grimoire but people actually give a shit. It is Charlie Kelly's Pepe Silvia in video game form.

Not games, but the storytelling of these two franchises are overrated.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like recently, it's probably Octopath Traveler for me (83 MC, #12 ERA GOTY), although I hate the automatic negativity the word "overrated" causes. That's not really my angle here.

I've written at length about the 30 some-odd hours I put into it in another thread, and I love JRPGs (DQ11 was my #2 GOTY and I'm currently loving Torna TGC), but in a nutshell, if I look at it through a pure game design lens, it's all rather basic. Each chapter plays out similarly: go to a town, see story, talk to some NPCs, exhaust path actions, go to dungeon, beat boss, move on to field map and fight, repeat. I guess you can say that this loop is similar to most turn-based JRPGs (DQ included), but here it feels a bit rigid and lacks something I can't really put my finger on.

The combat is really good and the soundtrack is phenomenal, but everything else didn't really do it for me. I also find it too small to play in handheld mode (the fonts in particular), which has been discouraging. I'm glad I played it, and it's about a 7/10 for me, but I don't think it's nearly as engaging and well-rounded as the best that the 16-bit generation produced.

That being said, I'm excited to see what they make next. If anything, I think this is a great proof of concept whose success and positive reception gives the team the confidence and resources to take things to the next level in their follow-up.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy -
Or as I call it, Super Mario Hollywood Blockbuster...it feels very cinematic and exciting at first but as you play more, it is a substance-less Mario game that basically tells you "walk over here" or "go and talk to this person" to get Stars and progress through the game. Don't get me started on the forced waggle controls and the need to collect bits. There are several stars in the game that are difficult to get just because of fighting with waggle controls. Also has the least amount of "platforming" of any Mario game.

Final Fantasy VII -
Only reason this game is so revered was because it is the first JRPG for alot of people. The cinematics, overall story and music wasn't presented in a game before to most audiences...however, nothing the game does is better than FFVI, and many will argue that IV or V could be better. And the wealth of deeper stories with cut scenes and great music has become a standard across many games since...it has aged very poorly...and is only saved by the fact that many of the post PSX FF games are average at best.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Both Red Dead Redemption games (never played RDRevolver).
Technically impressive, sure, but a chore to play, with little or no fun to be had.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
For me it's all the Soulsborne games. They aren't bad games whatsoever, but the way I commonly see them discussed online gives the impression that they're regarded as being among the most important works in the medium of all time. I don't know whether to be surprised or not surprised that I don't see them brought up more in this thread (from what I've skimmed).

Half Life 2 is also an amazing answer. I enjoyed it, but...come on.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
From this gen alone:

1. BotW
2. RDR2
3. FO4

Every gen is the saame tho, people tend to overrate Nintendo, Rockstar and Bethesda games a lot.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty 4 was a masterpiece of a game. All they had to do was fix the respawns and do something about the grenade spam. Instead they released Modern Warfare. A game with a incoherent single player and a unfun and unbalanced multiplayer. Gone were the killstreaks that gave you an advantage but could be defended against and replaced with killstreaks that would just hand you the game. Shields that could one hit kill, akimbo shotguns, and more grenade launchers than ever. If you were only a casual player the hardcore players not only had more experience than you but better weapons. It was a overrated shit show of a game and it's poor game decisions spread to every other game in the genre.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I would love if a requirement for posting here was to have your achievements and trophies linked (if only Nintendo had achievements too)! Gut feeling but I bet half the people posting exclusive games don't own the system the game is on.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Ocarina Of Time on the 3DS.

It may have been either exciting or interesting in its day, but to receive such high scores thirteen years later in 2011 for a game with a sparse environment and uninteresting gameplay beggars belief. The game doesn't even reward you for participating in battles...no XP, no levelling, no upgrades. I appreciate that it was never initially marketed as an RPG, but if they had at least included some role playing elements to make it more interesting then it might've kept my motivation levels up.

IGN gave it a 9.5 and then later, in the same year, gave the MGS HD Collection a 9.0.

OOT on the 3DS should've been reviewed, rated and scored in comparison with other games released around the same time instead of reviewing it through rose tinted specs. Overrated.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Red Dead Redemption 2
BOTW
Skyrim
Witcher 3
Super Mario Odyssey
Bloodborne
Dark Souls
Super Mario Galaxy
GTA V