• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
There's no way that's the in game engine.
Horizon was in-engine. Obviously not gameplay at a different angle like some are believing, but not GCI either like you seem to believe. I have faith in GG that they can match or come close to the trailer on PS5. Just like I think Turn10 can match or come close to their FM trailer.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
XSX reveals so far and nothing shown screams NExt gen
Nah. Show me a game looking as good as FM for next gen on PS4 or Xbox One.

FM7 vs FM

GTS vs FM
ps_messages_20200724_lmjza.jpg

neuebitmap28wjoy.png

Last edited:

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Don't want to engage into Console wars or anything, and don't want to take sides.
But its funny that the inferior Console (hardware wise) is currently showing the better graphics, XSX is a beast and it will show it in the long run and multiplatform games will be better on XSX , but Micorsoft fucked up big time with their reveals. This is a reminder that Good Hardware is nothing without innovative and talented developers.

Ratchet and Horizon blew me away.
I have to disagree to be honest, Horizon was all cutscene material and there's a reason for that. Ratchet has the best graphics of gameplay that we've seen so far but all these games are heavy in development and things will improve very quickly. As far as realtime graphics are concerned (in engine or not) and it's debatable if this fidelity will be achieved. Hellblade 2 has by far the best graphics seen so far, Forza had much better graphics than Gran Turismo as well. Thing is you can't cherry pick certain games from one side while leaving out others from the other side.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank & Hellblade 2.

When you consider what Sucker Punch have achieved with Ghost of Tsushima on 7 year old hardware - thinking about what was shown for Horizon being close to how it would look in game is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I have to disagree to be honest, Horizon was all cutscene material and there's a reason for that. Ratchet has the best graphics of gameplay that we've seen so far but all these games are heavy in development and things will improve very quickly. As far as realtime graphics are concerned (in engine or not) and it's debatable if this fidelity will be achieved. Hellblade 2 has by far the best graphics seen so far, Forza had much better graphics than Gran Turismo as well. Thing is you can't cherry pick certain games from one side while leaving out others from the other side.
The Hellblade 2 trailer legitimately doesn't count for this discussion. It was a render that an outsourced studio did in Unreal Engine.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - 3Lateral

3Lateral Studio is built around passion for creating characters and creatures.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
After Halo: Infinite, I really wouldn't bet on any inengine representations.
However, it's R&C for me right now, because of the most thorough content for now. Project Athia, Horizon 2, pragmata also looked fabulous

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
The Ratchet demo is the only game that felt next gen to me.

All the other stuff is just some prettier graphics.

I want to see things that are not possible on current hardware outside of graphics.

Nov 4, 2017
+1 for Horizon Forbidden West and Ratchet & Clank. Horizon's visual fidelity and new engine features are phenomenal, and the portal mechanic in Ratchet and Clank really shows how the new SSDs can revolutionise game design. It's the first game to show something that just mechanically can't be done this gen.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely Hellblade 2. I kind of feel like the 1X and the Pro to a lesser extent have ruined the wow factor though.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
There's no way that's the in game engine.

If its pre-rendered CGI then they dropped the ball on many fronts, since there are quite some artefacts and typical rendering-shortcuts on display (like how the waves break).

If you look at shots like these it's hard to say that it isnt using the game-engine. Knowing how the first game looks, I saw very little that wouldnt be possible given an improved engine and much more capable hardware.

Horizon-Forbidden-West_20200611_05.jpg

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
For actual, "believable" gameplay: Ratchet & Clank without a doubt.

For the rest (in-engine or however they call it): Hellblade 2 by far, followed by Horizon 2.
Although it's a bit like apples and oranges, so far... Hellblade 2 was especially impressive for Senua's model, animation, lighting, while Horizon 2 was impressive taking into consideration the environment and the open-world factor.

MSFS deserves a special mention. A "current gen" game which probably looks and feels the most "next gen" of all, for different reasons.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019

This has me so excited for Horizon II and the improvements that can be made with a SSD instead of HDD if I understand it correctly. Like using flying mounts but still retaining crisp terrains while moving across it much faster, the sky changing and so on.

Feels like we're in for a graphical treat and I can't wait to battle robot dinos again.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
For me it was Halo Infinite until we actually saw Halo Infinite in-game. The engine demos were incredible and I hope we'll eventually get there whether with sequels or patches.

For now, it's gotta be Horizon 2.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
The Hellblade 2 trailer legitimately doesn't count for this discussion. It was a render that an outsourced studio did in Unreal Engine.
Ninja Theory led and artistically guided the creation of the new cinematic to deliver unprecedented levels of visual and performance detail for Senua—one of the most impactful and authentic digital humans ever made. Senua's 4D data derived character now comes with further upgraded neck deformations and tongue kinetics capable of conveying Melina's impressive and engaging performance.

That was from the article you linked to, once again it's all real-time graphics.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Ninja Theory led and artistically guided the creation of the new cinematic to deliver unprecedented levels of visual and performance detail for Senua—one of the most impactful and authentic digital humans ever made. Senua's 4D data derived character now comes with further upgraded neck deformations and tongue kinetics capable of conveying Melina's impressive and engaging performance.

That was from the article you linked to, once again it's all real-time graphics.
A render done in Unreal is not real-time graphics of the game engine it will actually be running on.
We've teamed up once again with our friends from Ninja Theory, to produce the facial rig and facial animation for the main character in their Senua's Saga: Hellblade II announcement trailer rendered in Unreal Engine.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For the Kena stuff, I think it's important to note that it's using pre-rendered cutscenes. Even the developer noted this before, as pointed out in another thread

Although, you know, reading it again, that could be interpreted in a couple ways. I just assumed it's pre-rendered since the lighting and such get a big bump, and the game is cross generation as well.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
After Halo: Infinite, I really wouldn't bet on any inengine representations.
However, it's R&C for me right now, because of the most thorough content for now. Project Athia, Horizon 2, pragmata also looked fabulous
After Halo Infinite? what does that mean? Are you saying that is the best Series X can produce graphically? Also I'm I am not sure at all they can get graphics of that level but leave Horizon out as well then because there was no gameplay there either.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
So you think in was pre-rendered? Even after the quote about creating the most lifelike human? It's either real-time or it's pre-rendered so which is it?
It was a prerendered cinematic using a real time engine (Unreal). You can find a lot of videos online that do the same thing with Unreal. Instead of using an offline renderer (like Maya) they use a real time engine.

It has no connection to the actual game engine that will be used.

Does that make more sense?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
After Halo Infinite? what does that mean? Are you saying that is the best Series X can produce graphically? Also I'm I am not sure at all they can get graphics of that level but leave Horizon out as well then because there was no gameplay there either.
Halo Infinite was announced with inengine trailers and no statement was given where the shown image was captured from. The downgrade is huge. Halo is also just the recent example.
I'm also not saying that the next gen Xbox can't do better what halo infinite is currently showing.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah. Show me a game looking as good as FM for next gen on PS4 or Xbox One.

FM7 vs FM

GTS vs FM
ps_messages_20200724_lmjza.jpg

neuebitmap28wjoy.png
That looks really good, although with racing games I'm always sceptical until I see in game footage. GT Sport looks utterly amazing in replays - but visually, it takes a hit gameplay. This has also been the case for every GT/Forza trailer released.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
most of the good examples have been mentioned, but the new forza could use a bit more love, i think. probably the best looking xbsx game.

edit: also, too. is that the abbreviation we're going with for the new xbox? i mean, it's still called xbox series x, right?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I am still baffled about Hellblade 2 being used as an example. The character model is rendered with real time assets, and looks super impressive. But there is no way you have a game looking like that when it is so early in dev. And then if we are going to include real time assets rendered offline, then you might as well include a whole bunch of other cinematics.

For me it was Halo Infinite until we actually saw Halo Infinite in-game. The engine demos were incredible and I hope we'll eventually get there whether with sequels or patches.

For now, it's gotta be Horizon 2.

Wait, you think the Halo Infinite tech demo looked more impressive than the Horizon 2 trailer...because asset quality, geometry, volumetrics, pretty much everything looked more impressive to me in the latter, aside from IQ.

Forza clearly looks a step up from current gen racers by the way.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
A safe guess is that it was pre-rendered through Unreal. And I think the same goes for Kena's cutscenes.
Hi, so if it's per-rendered isn't the level of detail attainable far beyond a real-time demo? Alex from DF said this, For example, the depth of field effect in the trailer has standard problems we find in current-gen implementations of the effect, such as halos around certain objects. Similarly, tiny strands of Senua's hair pop and fizzle around the depth of field - something that wouldn't happen with super-sampling or a pure CG render.

He did later say he didn't think it was real-time though, but time will tell.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
this isn't correct, you're still using unreal, its the same engine that will run your game, just not at those settings, or the same amount/quality of lights/shadow...you won't have RT A0/GI/etc pumped to the highest of levels..etc

The link you provided doesn't say rendered in real time though. It just said rendered in UE, which I doubt anyone was denying. I think there is more indication that it was rendered offline, and nothing MS has said has really contradicted that.

Having said that, I expect the game to look fantastic. I just don't think this tells us much since it seems to be early in dev.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
It's say cinematic right in there, it's an in engine cinematic trailer....we're about to do some work with 3lateral soon and will be using a lot of the techniques that were used for Hellblade 2 on our cinematics. In engine is still "real time" as in, you're using the same run time shaders, materials etc..but to highest of settings, 8k blah blah blah and obviously cinematic light and shadows which you wouldn't do in game.
Thank you very much Sir, has your game been revealed yet?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Wait, you think the Halo Infinite tech demo looked more impressive than the Horizon 2 trailer...because asset quality, geometry, volumetrics, pretty much everything looked more impressive to me in the latter, aside from IQ.
Not exactly that it "looked" better, but that the standard of quality achieved was still extremely high when you accounted for the fact that it was targetting 60fps. And I'm personally more impressed by good visuals when they are also high performance since the temporal resolution is so much higher.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
this isn't correct, you're still using unreal, its the same engine that will run your game, just not at those settings, or the same amount/quality of lights/shadow...you won't have RT A0/GI/etc pumped to the highest of levels..etc
I don't think that's the case with Hellblade 2 trailer. Even though they are both using Unreal I don't believe that rendered trailer is sharing the same pipeline Senua is using to develop the game. I could be wrong. But that's the impression I get.

Shared art? Sure. Of course.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
but the company dropped the ball greatly with the XSX reveals so far and nothing shown screams NExt gen.

...probably because they haven't shown gameplay yet for most of their projects.

He never said 'the real next gen' as you claimed. So not a comparison between the XSX and PS5. If he's an Xbox only gamer, it's perfectly valid for him to feel that's when next gen starts for him.

As I expected, you're unable to provide evidence that multiple people were out there claiming that the XSX was 'the real next gen' console. can't even point out one person.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Erm hard to say at the moment. Ratchet looked great, but it always looks great. The portal thing to me looks a bit gimicky. Just because its using the SSD to load through worlds, Its hard to say whether its actually a game changing next gen mechanic or just a visual trick, but I trust Insomniac.

If Guerilla can deliver on the density of the world they showed that will be very impressive. I imagine what they have shown so far is using 'cinematic assets' and probably will look a bit rougher in game. For instance, they are not going to render crabs like that during gameplay.

Somewhere between those 2 probably.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
If Guerilla can deliver on the density of the world they showed that will be very impressive. I imagine what they have shown so far is using 'cinematic assets' and probably will look a bit rougher in game. For instance, they are not going to render crabs like that during gameplay.

Somewhere between those 2 probably.
That is probably a safe bet. Very similar to how it was handled in the first Horizon.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
From Microsoft it's Hellblade and Sony? Hmm, probably R&C. Horizon looks crazy as well.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
If it's shared art..same rig, same shaders, same materials, then its the same pipeline. The very same pipeline they used for the first one, where they did a lot of real time motion capture using the very same rig, shaders and materials that were used in game. We're also doing the same thing. Only difference would be one will press the render button, the other won't
Ok that makes a lot more sense to me now, thank you for taking the time for clarify it.

So we could potentially see performances on that level throughout the actual game during cinematics. That is pretty exciting actually.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That is probably a safe bet. Very similar to how it was handled in the first Horizon.

I also agree that it's a safe bet re: Horizon. Will Aloy have peach fuzz on her face while you're running around? Maybe not. Does it really matter to the overall "wow factor" on the visuals? Probably not, in that that same bandwidth will be applied to details that the camera has larger focus on (like even foliage). And maybe there won't be any reason to have crabs have such incredible fidelity if the camera never gets close to them.

Betting against Guerilla would be foolish at this point, though. I'm incredibly confident the game is going to be a stunner.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Ratchet because that's the only game shown so far my PC couldn't run today (fully, with the world transitions).
And that's the maximum bar I can set for a game in this context.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It was not rendered offline, vray..arnold, etc are offline renderers, it was rendered in a real time engine...more importantly with real time shaders,,,as in those will be the same shaders and materials running in game..thats where people get confused with offline/real time rendering.

Okay, sure. It was rendered in a real time engine and pre-recorded. Either way, I seriously doubt it was running in real time. Ninja Theory haven't claimed it was, all they have said is that the character model was rendered in real time, which I don't doubt.

And I wouldn't real take Phil Spencers vague statement about it representing the power of XSX to mean much. The dev is shifting to UE5 and has just released a video about location tests, rather than digging deeper into that footage. Which suggests that it was just a proof of concept and engine test. I am excited as others about the game, and will likely play it on PC, but taking what was shown as a meaningful representation of what the game will look like seems unwise. Horizon FW, on the other hand, has more signs of running in real time, and also seems much, much further along as an actual game.