• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hellblade and Athia are big question marks technically in engine but definitely pre rendered. Hellblade was also 24fps which is... bizarre

The intro and the dragon sequence were probably inengine, but not real time rendered just like Hellblade 2 is likely to be. The gameplay footage looks like it is renedered in real time though, if curated. Funny how the cutscenes in this don't make some people's list though, since they probably looke even more impressive than what was shown for Hellblade 2. Just like that though, I don't think they are rendered in real time.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Guerrilla Games of recent history gets pretty god damn close to their trailers and usually ends up improving in several areas. They are wizards with that Decime engine of theirs. It's going to look pretty bonkers.

Hellblade 2 was a 100 percent cinematic that is not indicative of an actual video game. I do think Hellblade 2 will be a visual treat, but yeah, those are not graphics from a real video game on real console hardware. Although it is still a very impressive Unreal Engine render.

Yeah I'm expecting the game to look great, and it will definitely be an improvement over the sequel, but I just don't believe the underwater section was something that's basically gameplay without the HUD like some others seem to believe.

Would love to be wrong for either game though!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It absolutely is Ratchet and Clank

And it is sad that most of the reason it is awesome .... it is the reason it was a blurry mess on the stream because of how shitty streams deals with particles

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Yeah I'm expecting the game to look great, and it will definitely be an improvement over the sequel, but I just don't believe the underwater section was something that's basically gameplay without the HUD like some others seem to believe.

Would love to be wrong for either game though!
The underwater part definitely looks like an in-game cutscene. If when it switches over to you playing the game and looks close to that, that'll be nuts.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
It's crazy that there's nothing on the Xbox Series X (yet) that comes close to the likes of Horizon Forbidden West and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Same situation as the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X — I was often more impressed with the visuals in the games on the former more so than the latter.

I want to say Horizon 2, but I have grown more and more skeptical of those non-gameplay trailers over the years.

I refused to believe just how good 'Horizon Zero Dawn' looked during its first showing back in 2015 (?), and yet the game ended up looking just as good upon release as it did when it was first unveiled, even more so on the PS4 Pro whilst playing in super sampling mode!

But it's funny that the inferior console (hardware wise) is currently showing the better graphics.

XSX is a beast and it will show it in the long run and multi-platform games will be better on XSX, but Microsoft fucked up big time with their reveals. This is a reminder that Good Hardware is nothing without innovative and talented developers.

You are not alone in thinking this way.

I was waiting for a glimpse at the 'real next gen' (according to some folks in the Xbox OT thread), and it never came...

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the underwater section with the robo-crocs in the Horizon 2 trailer was in-game, then it's that for me.
Cutscenes definitely look better than actual game footage, but i suspect game will look pretty close to this shot.

5UIXs2F.gif

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ratchet was the first thing that came to my mind. So much going on, on screen. Portals to other places with nearly 0 loading. tons of particles. I thought it looked stunning.

Horizon was also pretty incredible but did we see any gameplay i forget?

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Don't want to engage into Console wars or anything, and don't want to take sides.
But its funny that the inferior Console (hardware wise) is currently showing the better graphics, XSX is a beast and it will show it in the long run and multiplatform games will be better on XSX , but Micorsoft fucked up big time with their reveals. This is a reminder that Good Hardware is nothing without innovative and talented developers.

Ratchet and Horizon blew me away.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Don't want to engage into Console wars or anything, and don't want to take sides.
But its funny that the inferior Console (hardware wise) is currently showing the better graphics, XSX is a beast and it will show it in the long run and multiplatform games will be better on XSX , but Micorsoft fucked up big time with their reveals. This is a reminder that Good Hardware is nothing without innovative and talented developers.

Ratchet and Horizon blew me away.

The insinuation that there aren't innovative and talented developers within Microsoft studios is pretty darn close to platform warring, though.

I was waiting for a glimpse at the 'real next gen' (according to some folks in the Xbox OT thread), and it never came...

Nobody said this in the Xbox OT, though.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Cutscenes definitely look better than actual game footage, but i suspect game will look pretty close to this shot.

5UIXs2F.gif
I want to explore the underwater world. Looks incredible.
This is a reminder that Good Hardware is nothing without innovative and talented developers.
Are you implying Microsoft doesn't have talented developers?
Huh? I didn't say in-engine. You know in-engine and real-time are completely different things, right?
In-engine can be realtime or pre-rendered. I think Microsoft mistake was to not have more gameplay and not clarifying whether some of the games were in engine rendered in realtime. I wish we would've seen more of Forza Motorsport. But if that's the quality we can expect, minus image quality probably, then it's currently the most impressive racing game shown.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I want to explore the underwater world. Looks incredible.
In-engine can be realtime or pre-rendered. I think Microsoft mistake was to not have more gameplay and not clarifying whether some of the games were in engine rendered in realtime. I wish we would've seen more of Forza Motorsport. But if that's the quality we can expect, minus image quality probably, then it's currently the most impressive racing game shown and definitely next gen.
Real-time is cut and dry. You know what you're getting when they say that. So when they instead say in-engine, you can pretty much guarantee that they mean pre-rendered, even though of course technically real-time is "in-engine," too.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
The problem we have is the lack of gameplay, games can look much better in cutscenes and that's why it's disingenuous to include them in this discussion.

Actual gameplay Flight sim easy, Ratchet a clear second and you could pick pretty much anything else after that.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
I've seen the comment "if Flight simulator counts"... why wouldn't it count?

so far, of what has been shown, easily Flight Simulator. What it is doing in terms of scale, physics and general representation of reality, is at the moment untouched.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lots of super pretty games, Horizon looks stunning, as does Everwild for different reasons. 120fps Ori also looks amazing.

FS2020 is on a whole different level. The scale is nuts and the tech in that game is also cutting edge. Nothing comes remotely close.

Far more interested is seeing graphics being pushed for different genres this time around. Seems obvious that cinematic third person games will all look stunning lol.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I've seen the comment "if Flight simulator counts"... why wouldn't it count?

so far, of what has been shown, easily Flight Simulator. What it is doing in terms of scale, physics and general representation of reality, is at the moment untouched.
Looks insane. I wonder when it'll release on XSX. I know it's hitting PC in August.
Did you mistype or something? You said Hellblade 2 was the most impressive looking real game.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Did you mistype or something? You said Hellblade 2 was the most impressive looking real game.
I even clarified that by that I meant that the only thing that has wowed me were tech demos and Hellblade, a thing that will actually be a game at some point.

Hellblade might not end up looking like that on release but right now that's still the only thing that has really wowed me.

Not sure how else I can explain this.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing yet for me, all I have seen is rough gameplay, CGI, CGI made to look like gameplay and target footage. I've seen interesting games but nothing that has wowed me so far. Hooefully we'll see more in August because I have not seen any compelling graphical reasons to upgrade yet

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Horizon 2 isn't out of reach for Naughty Dog on PS4 Pro? Nah, I really like ND, but nah. Horizon 2 looks much better than The Last of Us 2.

The asset quality, animation and art direction are all on par with this in TLoU2. I'm saying that if ND had the power of PS5 behind it they would easily achieve what is being shown here.
Horizon 2 isn't out of reach for Naughty Dog on PS4 Pro? Nah, I really like ND, but nah. Horizon 2 looks much better than The Last of Us 2.

Obviously would not push as many polygons and the lighting would not look as great. I just mean they could emulate something quite similar/close.

This scene is a lot about lighting and art direction. They could achieve it technically on a PS5. It looks so great because of animation, art direction and lighting. It's much less about raw performance.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When considering tech and art all together, Horizon Forbidden West for sure. Closely followed by Ratchet & Clank. I actually think Demon's Souls looks incredible as well.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that there's nothing on the Xbox Series X (yet) that comes close to the likes of Horizon Forbidden West and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Same situation as the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X — I was often more impressed with the visuals in the games on the former more so than the latter.

I agree with the first part, but there's no game released on both which looks better on PS4 Pro.
There's a stark difference in favor of X1X.

If you mean exclusives then that's a different story and I fully agree.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Microsoft Flight Simulator i guess...?

So far nothing wowed me, pretty looking games are kinda expected but coming from TLOU 2, RDR 2 and Metro Exodus 4K/Raytracing on PC, i'm yet to be impressed.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The Horizon stuff looked fine but the Rachet demo was the most impressive for me.

Hellblade also looked really good.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Real-time is cut and dry. You know what you're getting when they say that. So when they instead say in-engine, you can pretty much guarantee that they mean pre-rendered, even though of course technically real-time is "in-engine," too.
Here is what one of the PS5 architects thinks about the XGS event.

We had developers in the past not saying it runs realtime before. I actually don't know why some devs did this, but it happens.
This scene is a lot about lighting and art direction. They could achieve it technically on a PS5. It looks so great because of animation, art direction and lighting. It's much less about raw performance.
Lightning has a lot to do with power, especially when you try to do it dynamically like GG with Horizon 2. The amount of geometry would melt the PS4 Pro aswell. There is nothing ND can do, even thought they are very talented.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The insinuation that there aren't innovative and talented developers within Microsoft studios is pretty darn close to platform warring, though.
Not my intent, they have of course, i was talking in general that Hardware without good developers mean nothing.
Microsoft is filled with Great and talented developers, and i appreciate their work, but the company dropped the ball greatly with the XSX reveals so far and nothing shown screams NExt gen.