• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I've seen many, many people say they've been unimpressed with next gen so far, so let's see what we've actually got to work with. I'm talking real footage of gameplay or something running on an actual game engine that should appear in an actual game. No CGI stuff. What's the most impressive thing we've seen so far? Please post any video clips, screenshots or GIFs as I'd love to see 'em.

I think this may be mine, from Horizon Forbidden West:

W5MjoKo.gif

Last edited:

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
I really have my doubts that Horizon is going to look like that in the final game

It's going to be really impressive, for sure, but it's going to be downgraded

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I will say ratchet and clank, because while horizon may look better, who is to say how much of that was used beefed up models or posteffexts and what not (I am sure guerilla will come close, but I feel like ratchet is the more representative example of currently running gameplay footage).

I would say the unreal demo, but (correct me if I am wrong) some stuff came out from the developers of it saying basically no one should use assets like those they used in the demo in a game because it would be problematic for some reason. I will try to find the article or thread on here, but I don't think that demo was wholly representative of how games will look either.

Descendant

Nov 2, 2017
I would say Ratchet, Horizon, and Hellblade 2. That action JRPG from Luminous Production looked impressive too.

Oct 25, 2017
Hellblade 2
Horizon 2
Ratchet

I think Spider-Man MM looks pretty great too.

And if Demon's Souls screenshots are anything to go off of holy shit.

Flight Simulator if that counts also

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excluding tech-demos, Horizon Forbidden West and Ratchet & Clank.
Need to see some footage of Demon's Souls Remake. The game looks awesome in those gameplay screenshots.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
If it counts, UE5 demo, if not:
Horizon 2 for the WOW factor and Ratchet for the application of the ''next-gen'' technology(SSDs are not technically next-gen, but it's understandable), and it's very pretty too.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
It's got to be Ratchet with the world bending stuff. Nothing like that on current gen. If cross gen games count then MS Flight.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Forbidden West is the prettiest game I've ever seen. Can't wait to be able to explore the in game world/underwater areas.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Unreal Engine Demo far from everything but it is not a game.

Game wise: Horizon 2 no competition there. Volume of detail down the water is insane.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It really sucks we didn't get Ratchet's gameplay footage in 4K like the trailers :\

This is where there is a little catch to me and i'm a lil careful with my expectations, even if not really cause i know it'll look great. That series always looks amazing for launch games on sony consoles.

But still. Everywhting we saw that impressed people (4k, crazy iq, multiple world changing..) was actually in a big cut scene, except maybe the end on the boat.
And then the actual gameplay demo was never seen in 4k, and had only enemies poppin' from warp zones i think.

Oct 30, 2017
In terms of actually captured on an actual console?

Horizon 2.

When the Hellblade 2 devs are apparently still location scouting and switching over to UE5 and the "in-engine" teaser last year was the same framerate as cg studios of 24fps, it became highly dubious to me.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
In terms of visual fidelity Horizon II was what I expected from next gen, truly mindblowing but I'd like to see gameplay. (Hellblade 2 was that as well but that looked even more suspicious).

In all honesty Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is the true concrete showpiece so far, it looks great and shows netx gen gimmicks to warrant a new machine.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Horizon and Hellblade look great, and all, but i need to see legit gameplay before making a call.

Ratchet and Clank was fucking impressive, that's my proof of concept for next gen so far.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Horizon: Forbidden West by a large margin. Whether it winds up looking exactly like that when it eventually launches remains to be seen, though.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Was there actual gameplay of Hellblade?

I thought Ratchet was the only in game stuff so far. Point me to what I've missed!

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Have we seen real gameplay footage of any game other than R&C? Assuming that Horizon ends up looking like the trailer when actually playing, I would say that, but I'm gonna withhold judgement.

Rods

May 1, 2020
UE5.
Game wise? Nothing really, i'm waiting on gameplay.
Ratchet didn't impress me.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It's unquestionably Ratchet & Clank because it included actual gameplay.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ratchet and Clank for me, was actually the first and so far only 1 of 2 next gen games to really wow me. Other being The Medium, though R&C would get the nod due to showing it off better. I had to read a little to fully get what The Medium is doing. R&C graphically is insane too.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Horizon 2 for me, if the game looks like that during gameplay then it is the best looking game i've ever seen.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Trailer wise:

Horizon 2

Gameplay:

Ratchet & Clank
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020