• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 is by far the best looking game I've ever seen.

Battlefront (2015) really blew my mind at the time. Still looks good.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The intro of Snake walking in the rain smoking a cigarette and then throwing away his coat blew my fucking mind in 2001. That whole game just looked crazy to me. It still impresses me. I had never played a game with that much attention to detail, and not just graphically but the game itself has so much jammed into it.

No game has ever blown my mind as much as this game, especially for its time.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been impressed by a hell of a lot of games but the times that I remember my jaw dropped hard against the ground were when I saw Zone of the Enders 2 and Panzer Dragoon: O.R.T.A for the first time. I still recall vividly just how impressed I was at how good those games looked.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Replayed Grandia not long ago and still looks great on the Saturn can't wait to revisit when it lands on Switch

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Half-life 2 and Metroid Prime. Both had good art direction, and for half-life 2 the physics and some effects blew my mind at the time. Doom 3 also was very impressive, but I think it didn't age as well just because I always felt it looked too plasticy (and the human characters looked weird).

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The jump from Smash 64 to Melee was relevatory. Still looks clean and smooth today. Seeing the fucking denim of Mario's overalls. WTF

Metroid Prime and Halo also were showstoppers.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Doom 3 is the one that leaps to mind.

Doom3 was quite something with lights and shadows.

Those talks about faking flashlight with screenspace trickery were quite entertaining as well.

The intro of Snake walking in the rain smoking a cigarette and then throwing away his coat blew my fucking mind in 2001. That whole game just looked crazy to me. It still impresses me. I had never played a game with that much attention to detail, and not just graphically but the game itself has so much jammed into it.

MGS2 is one of the rare games on ps2 which play very well on strenghts of the machine and sidesteps the weaknesses.

Amount of aliasing is reduced by amazing and clean art direction.
Destination alpha used to get varying specular.. etc.

Baldurs Gate:alliance was really good on ps2 as well.
SSAA, texture resolution matched to resolution and camera distance, baked lights and high poly environment tiles.
Lovely highpoly water with simulation running in VU1

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Shadows of the Empire and Silent Hill 3 both stick out in my mind as games that completely blew me away at the time of their release.

I don't think Shaodws holds up but Silent Hill 3 is still one of the most graphically impressive games I've ever played.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Latest? Star Citizen no doubt, it truly looks like something other games are not able to do for next few years.
Then again, is it really video game yet or not?

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
The Order: 1886 really impressed me as the first time this gen I went "wow, this is a step above the previous."

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
my first was probably this on commodore 64
9153229049_3ac603ce5f_b.jpg

recently rdr2.

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
Showing my age but when I was a kid with a C64 I used to read CU magazine and all of the Amiga game pics just blew me away. I used to buy the games for my C64 but they always looked so shit in comparison (still a step up form my mates Spectrum versions though).
Seeing Shadow of the Beast running for the 1st time is probably the most impressed I've ever been because it was such a jump form what I had at the time.
Recently the 1st time they showed Horizon ZD really impressed me

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original Prince of Persia.

Or the 256 colour VGA version of The Secret of Monkey Island. Unless you were gaming in this era it's impossible to explain the difference between a 16 colour or monochrome experience, and a full-on 256 colour experience at a whopping 640x480 resolution.

Seeing the VGA version of Monkey Island on my then $1400 Zenith VGA monitor was the single most exciting moment I've experienced as a gamer.

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
It's difficult to even explain what you're seeing when playing Rez on PS2 because any description of it tends to feel like a gross oversimplification. I just knew there was an impressively smart amount of minimalist graphic design going on, only maxed out to epic proportions same time, which is one reason it looks so good now. Doesn't even need a remaster - just increase the resolution and it's clear why it holds up so well. Not just the graphics but the way you're "conducting" what you see and hear in real time by playing it, and the feels you feel in the process make it something special to this day imo.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
When I first saw SOUL CALIBUR running on a Dreamcast back in 1999.
That 60fps with these animations and hires textures... 🤤

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Gta liberty city stories, God of war 3, Uncharted 3. This gen has been impressive but I started gaming on the gba sp and psp and went to ps3 to pc now. For me, the jump from psp to ps3 god of war 3 was a wayyyyyy more WOW moment. I think liberty city stories looks pretty bad today but back then it was WOAHHH. God of war 3 and uncharted 3 still hold up well today.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Vagrant Story is probably still one of the most impressive achievements in gaming. That they could achieve such cinematic, stylistic but also somewhat grounded & realistic, and dark look with fully 3d graphics on a PS1 is a marvel to look at.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Gears of War

I was hit by a double-dose of seeing HDTV gaming for the first time so it's not really fair. It looked so much sharper and detailed than what I'd seen before.

Other than that its probably the Resident Evil remake. Yes, pre-rendered bgs are cheating a bit but holy hell it worked. That game came out in 2002 and still feels like a modern presentation.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
God Of War on PS2. Especially the moment when Kratos blows that horn.....dust settles and you see Cronos in a distance carrying Pandora's temple on his back. SSM has raised the bar with every subsequent entry(even Ascension looked bonkers on PS3) but at that time, that was among the most impressive things I've seen in a game. (PS: The entire pandora's temple level after that was quite amazing too)

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Star Wars Rouge Leader: Rouge Squadron 2 (GCN)
45.jpg

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA) ("Holy shit, they're standing on ground!")
screenshot.jpg

Resistance 1 (PS3)
130690-resistance-fall-of-man-screenshot.jpg

Resistance doesn't hold up, but the other two do. Rouge Leader still looks dope, and runs amazingly.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Gran Turismo 3, I had been blown away by the first one (first time I saw a demo disk with it I ran to get my dad to show him haha) but genuinely seeing GT3 on TV the first time I honestly thought it was a clip of a real Super GT race for the first few seconds, was such a huge step.

https://youtu.be/r692QlJaFnU

Holds up surprisingly well, especially on a CRT.

Last edited:

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
The original Prey was my first "next gen" game and it blew me away coming from PS2. Detailed models, characters, bump mapping, lighting, that portal gimmick... I remember looking at the loading screens (which were screenshots of the actual level's area) thinking that they looked better than PS1 Final Fantasy's pre-rendered background and was amazed how far we had come. I guess nowadays the game looks decent but the characters are a bit blocky.

Gears of War was my first contact with the Xbox 360 and also looked cery impressive. I was amazed by the camera gimmick when you ran, it looked so cinematic. It still looks fine nowadays.

The most recent one was Detroit with it's detailed and well animated characters. It doesn't flirt with the uncanny valley like LA Noire, and I think it should hold up just fine in the future.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
One of the first gen 7 and HD game i played was Assassin's Creed when I visited my friend who got an Xbox360. The lighting, animations and textures was just mind blowing at the time and I thought there was no way videogame graphics can improve.

Haven't played it in a while but looking at videos on youtube, I think the graphics can still hold up quite well on high resolution on pc. The gameplay though...

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS. I booted it up again last year and I was just as impressed. It's a game that feels like it comes from a different system.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Moving from megadrive to ps1 was incredible. Demolition derby and battle arena toshinden were incredible

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 made me question if I was actually playing it or I was just having a dream of a Video game that couldn't possibly exist at the time of release

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn. It was one of my first games with 3D graphics, something I had not been sold on yet as I found most of them ugly looking in still screenshots in magazines. I'd bought the console for 2D games. VF2 blew me away though with the fact it used Saturn's high res mode and ran at a good framerate so it looked so smooth and fluid compared to anything else I'd yet seen.

There where a few other things that impressed me like the move to the Dreamcast in general and seeing stuff like Soul Calibur and DOA2 and I remember being impressed by the close ups on the G-Man in Half Life 2. Nothing has really compared to that first hit of VF2 and with each passing generation it's felt a lot more incremental so it's been diminishing returns for me since.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Super Smash Bros. Melee because going to that from 64 is incredible. Similarly playing Golden Sun on GBA showed off amazing effects compared to the much simpler GBC not long before.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's been a few, like Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye, God of War 2, Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec, Half Life 2, Crysis, Horizon Zero Dawn and so on, but the one that blew me away the most at the time was Killzone 2. Shit looked bananas. I'd never seen anything like it.

3083965-7808302693-28233.gif

ajumq8.gif

b5k3r8.gif

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Goldeneye 007. It looked and played so good, but it definitely doesn't hold up now.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
star fox was the first game my brain couldn't comprehend what i was seeing. added shock because the game looked horrible in magazine spreads

of course game didn't age well (graphically) but i don't think that "oh shit" moment was ever matched, not even with mario 64

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Gran Turismo 5 still has it today. More impressive than Gran Turismo Sport because it has a full day-night cycle and full weather dynamics.

When all the elements combine it's absolutely stunning.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real and only answer is Super Mario 64.

Coming from a Mega Drive to full 3d visuals was like time travel. Shit was insane.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Assassin's Creed 1 totally blew me away when they revealed it.
It hasn't aged well.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
So many generations, so many options...

- Mortal Kombat on Arcade
- DKC On SNES
- Killer instinct on Arcade
- Mario 64
- Unreal on PC
- Half Life 2 Tech demo at E3

After that, nothing obvious comes to mind.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Horizon: Zero Dawn and Red Dead Redemption 2

We are finally at a point were games have as much visual details as they had during the pre-rendered backgrounds era (Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, etc). I was never really impressed by the PS2 and PS3 console generations, since they were mostly empty areas (with very few exceptions, usually in linear games), but holy shit between Horizon and RDR2 I'm loving this generation of consoles, it makes exploration such a joy.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need for Speed looked like real life.

w072ujf.jpg

Just the normal stuff after that I guess. Doom 3, Half Life 2, Gears of War, Crysis, Red Dead Redemption, GT Sport, Red Dead Redemption 2.

But for me Demon's Souls and Dark Souls also looked incredible for some reason. Crazy texture details, animations and really good use of per object motion blur in Dark Souls before I believe it became super common.