• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Playing NHL Hitz for the OG Xbox Demo Kiosk and making a score with my goalie as I went all the way up the other side and slapped it in.
It wasn't graphics or anything, but I sure was impressed with myself for pulling it off.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Back in early 1999, Sega Dreamcast kiosk showed up in my Best Buy months before launch and it had sonic adventure as the demo.

My jaw hit the floor when I saw it and started running around as sonic. I pre ordered the console and game there in store immediately after.

7e56529d9c5c03a3e9d854e93b310d61.jpg

sonicadventure.jpg
Hell yeah! What a time that was.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Was at a Best Buy or maybe a Sears? It was in 2005 or so and they had a demo of Halo 2 up and they were selling a chair which had built in speakers and a rumble mechanic. So as a kid sitting in this chair that had surround sound speakers and rumbled every time something major happened was the coolest thing ever and made me want to get the game.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's Super Mario 64.

Unlike all other examples, it wasn't just the graphics that wowed, even though they looked more like a controllable cartoon that anything before it. It was the controller and unbelievable free movement and camera control. The entire thing was revolutionary, a 3D play space with extremely powerful tools to navigate it with and natural response of Mario and the environment.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing WipEout on PS1. I assumed the graphics were prerendered FMV. Nope.

Thinking back, I've seen a lot of store kiosks... Sonic 1, Mario World, gameboy kiosks, beforementioned PS1... I remember the summer Mario64, Crash, and Nights kiosks were lined up side by side pre release...

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Since everyone already said Mario 64...

Wii Sports.

It was while I was literally in line waiting to buy a wii, but I still couldn't believe it.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I wanna say Sonic Adventure. I played through the first level and was pretty wowed by it.

Super Mario 64 I watched for the first time as my cousin played it on Christmas. That was for sure mindblowing.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Not strictly a kiosk but the local indie retailer on Sunday 29 November 1998, staying open late and packed with regulars for when the owner got back from his supplier with Japanese Dreamcasts, fresh off the plane. The Japanese launch games weren't that impressive (alongside Virtua Fighter 3tb you had Pen Pen TriIcelon, Godzilla Generations and July) but seeing a decent port of a Model 3 arcade game sold a few of them.

I held out until Soul Calibur came out in Japan, then that became my first import console.

That place was basically my demo kiosk because back then we'd get games months and months late in this country, and they'd usually had it since it came out in Japan/US. You'd just walk in and see something that wouldn't be out here for up to a year, and be able to play it.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely Mario 64 here too. I played for as long as I could but was always scared someone would shout at me to get off the machine. Best thing about going to Toys R Us.

Had a good time with Lylat Wars/Starfox 64 too, I feel like I got a decent way in too (I mean the game isn't exactly long).

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Parroting everyone else in the thread, but definitely Mario 64. I could not believe what my little high-schooler eyes were seeing.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
A couple of occasions stand out for me. The first was playing Super Mario Bros. with my brother in Debenhams way back in the day. We had a Sinclair Spectrum at the time and nothing on that system controlled like Mario, such brilliant gameplay, it's no surprise that it has stood the test of time. We got rid of the Spectrum and upgraded to a NES not long after.

The second was Wipeout on Playstation in Toys R Us not long after the sytem launched. Christmas was coming up and I was planning on asking for an Atari Jaguar, mainly for Alien vs Predator, while my brothers were more set on the PS. The graphics, music and handling on Wipeout blew me away and I was well onboard with the PS from that point on (bullet well and truly dodged there).

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Mario 64 is a great choice... but on a personal level, I remember playing Final Fantasy VII on a demo kiosk at Funcoland (just saying it really brings me back!) and was so in awe of what a marvel it was to my young brain used to nothing but 2d pixel RPGs.

That first generation where we were leaping from 2D to true 3D games were full of moments like this where I was so enthralled at the new possibilities. Everything since then has felt very iterative... though I haven't really tried nice 3D headsets yet so I'm sure there's more experiences like that to come in my lifetime

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For me it was the first Formula 1 game on PS1, previously the best representation of F1 had been Grand Prix on the Amiga for me but this just blew it away, the framerate was great in comparison, everything looked right, it had Murray Walker! Was amazing.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Sonic Adventure. It showed the Dreamcast perfectly in the games store. My jaw dropped to the floor when I later played that at home.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PGR3 on a 360 kiosk prior to the UK launch. Can't remember where it was but preordered the console and game immediately after.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Toss-up between Sonic Adventure's CGI opening running in the window of Beattie's in Lakeside, Thurrock, or Burnout 3 running on the display PS2 in Choices Video, Cambridge.