• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Nah SSJ3 is a trash transformation and picking the trash US dub version of this scene is even worse. Bleh.

Now this is a good scene.

Obviously it isn't very fair to bring this up since it's a fan-made iteration, but I actually think Team Four Star did Gohan's SSJ2 transformation scene the best with their conclusion of the Cell Arc in DBZA.

But yeah, if we're talking Dragon Ball Z proper, the two most iconic powerup scenes are Goku turning SSJ on Namek and Gohan turning SSJ2 at the height of the Cell Games. I'm not entirely sure which takes top spot though.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what drugs your all on but the best transformation is Gohan SS2.

Not sure why we are debating this.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
DBZ is trash.

If we're talking DB then SSJ1 is the most iconic moment for me.

Otherwise (HxH)

ec066b1bab9ca13003d79d1a2dfd8b57fe4b2478_hq.gif

This is the best as far as anime goes.

big fan of this one personally

This is the real best.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
SS3 Goku isn't even on the continent of "iconic power ups". SS1 Goku, SS1 Trunks, and SS2 Gohan blow it out of the water.

Gon in HxH was what I was going to suggest, but since it's already mentioned - In spite of how the series ended up, I've got a soft spot for most of Ichigo's dumb power ups. Especially anything with Number One playing, though usually it ends up him showing off a power up being the hype moment instead of the actual power up. Maybe the first time he uses Bankai?

QlIn.gif

Chivalry mentioned Luffy's first Gear Second, and that absolutely was a blast when I watched it even though the Water 7/Enies Lobby are literally the only arcs I've seen of one piece.

Last edited:

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The transformation begins at 15:00 and ends at about the 20 min mark

Alucard transforming to Dracula of Wallachia is among my favorite transformations. It's not iconic but it's really underrated power up imo.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
SSJ3 is iconic for the wrong reasons. It's too long and people parody it all the time.

SSJ1 is more iconic because it follows a tense moment where Keillor actually gets killed, and at the time it actually seemed for real. Not to mention it hadn't happened before, so you had no idea what was going on until I had already occurred.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
While i agree SSJ2 gohan transformation is a fine transformation indeed, Seeing Naruto go beserk in the Haku fight using his 9 tails chakra for the first time, the build up, the animation quality, naruto outright saying he is going to kill haku it just felt insane to watch

Oct 26, 2017
Future Trunks going...half SSJB with the spirit sword is my new personal favorite. It's what a transformation should be: reacting to an overwhelming opponent and then reaching deep inside for what you're really made of to give it your all.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
It's simple, the most iconic power-up scene is SSJ2 Gohan. Gohan's mind completely shuts after Cell destroyed 16. The kid was observing the place where the pieces of the nature loving android are. Complete silence. Gohan looking dumbfounded the scene. And then he finally snaps and transforms into a SSJ2, surprising everyone. Add to that the Oozaru scream in the Japanese version and the background song, and you have one of the most iconic moments in perhaps the entire shounen genre.

I also have a soft spot when Ichigo unleashed his bankai for the first time. And when the hollow possessed him in the middle of the fight.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even the most iconic from DBZ. That goes to SSJ Goku vs Frieza or SSJ2 Gohan. The former probably can be argued that it's one of the most iconic transformations in anime. The latter is just great.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Nah if we're just including DBZ it's definitely Gohan going SSJ2 followed by Vegeta going SSJ the first time. Goku is boring and predictable, I'd even put Trunk's first SSJ transformation above any of his.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The thing I remember the most from the SSJ3 transformation is that it went on for like 15 minutes that consisted of nothing but Goku shouting.

Best transformations are still SSJ1 Goku against Frieza and SSJ2 Gohan against Cell.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It has to be SSJ2 Gohan for me. SSJ Goku and Trunks coming to rip shit are a close second. And this gets a well deserved third spot

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I'm sorry but if you don't pick Gon's transformation and the entire damn lead up to it...you're wrong.

Argue about second place, but Gohan's SSJ2, Goku's SS1 just don't compare at all. They're good but that 50+ episode build up for Gon plus the actual transformation and music? It can't be beat.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like Naruto, but Rock Lee removing the leg weights always struck me as particularly stylish.

tenor.gif

crowphoenix

Oct 27, 2017
We could probably argue coolest, but I am not really sure how anything tops the original Super Sayian transformation in Dragon Ball Z for being iconic.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will always remain the best for me

th

The culmination of all of Yusuke's training with Genkai finally coming to an end. He finally breaks through his emotional barriers and learns to accept kindness and love from people. Puu, his spirit beast, nearly sacrifices itself to get Yusuke water. Yusuke's ready to give up and just says fuck it and powers through for everyone else.

Hiei absorbing the dragon will always be a close second to me. Bui throws Hiei's dragon back at him and Hiei just eats that shit and makes it apart of him. The animation that follows is great because I always felt like we, the viewers, were seeing shit as Bui saw it- all distorted and warped.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
My favorite are the first Super Saiyan power up or the power up of the genki-Dama/ spirit bomb against kid buu if you could count that as a power up

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I'm sorry but if you don't pick Gon's transformation and the entire damn lead up to it...you're wrong.

Argue about second place, but Gohan's SSJ2, Goku's SS1 just don't compare at all. They're good but that 50+ episode build up for Gon plus the actual transformation and music? It can't be beat.

Gohan's SSJ2 was built up from the beginning of Z, 184 episodes. Goku's Super Saiyan transformation? 55 episodes. So if you want to talk about number of episodes to build towards a transformation, both Goku and Gohan have Gon beat.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I think the DBS Brody SSJ transformation takes the cake for me since I felt it was almost sad that he had to transform in the first place

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Goku's transformation in DBS Broly was pretty hype too at least the Eng VA, that primal scream was WOW!

Gohan's SSJ2 was built up from the beginning of Z, 184 episodes. Goku's Super Saiyan transformation? 55 episodes. So if you want to talk about number of episodes to build towards a transformation, both Goku and Gohan have Gon beat.

It's not just the number it's the narrative built around it, Gohan's build up has simply been "this kid as actually very powerful" Goku's was "oh yeah there's such thing as a super Saiyan"

Gon's build up dealt with psychological trauma, denial, murderous intent, rage, and emotional suppression in very real tangible ways relative to the series, his entire character development centered around these problems and how they were in part products of and intensified his character flaws.

And HxH actually used the "This kid is going to be extremely powerful one day" trope and flipped it on its head by introducing the aforementioned aspects to his character.

Gohan powered up because someone died in front of him and because been billed as this unspoken powerful kid. His power up came as a positive light from a tragedy.

Gon's transformation was a "this is bad" moment born from his anger, thirst for murder, broken heart, and being manipulated and lied to ontop of lying to himself and having to face the truth at the hand of the enemy who was the root cause for his descent.

I love DB and Gohan's transformation is so hype but nah it ain't touching Gon's

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Gon's transformation and Gohan's.

But the hilarious ssj3 transformation gave us this.

Cant be mad

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Super Saiyan 3 scene was way too damn long and drawn out for a form that accomplished nothing and looks like garbage.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Goku's transformation in DBS Broly was pretty hype too at least the Eng VA, that primal scream was WOW!

It's not just the number it's the narrative built around it, Gohan's build up has simply been "this kid as actually very powerful" Goku's was "oh yeah there's such thing as a super Saiyan"

Gon's build up dealt with psychological trauma, denial, murderous intent, rage, and emotional suppression in very real tangible ways relative to the series, his entire character development centered around these problems and how they were in part products of and intensified his character flaws.

And HxH actually used the "This kid is going to be extremely powerful one day" trope and flipped it on its head by introducing the aforementioned aspects to his character.

Gohan powered up because someone died in front of him and because been billed as this unspoken powerful kid. His power up came as a positive light from a tragedy.

Gon's transformation was a "this is bad" moment born from his anger, thirst for murder, broken heart, and being manipulated and lied to ontop of lying to himself and having to face the truth at the hand of the enemy who was the root cause for his descent.

I love DB and Gohan's transformation is so hype but nah it ain't touching Gon's

That is a great explanation, at first I thought you were only hyping it up for the length of time it was built up in terms of episode count and for that I apologize.

Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe anyone would say trunks SS transformation against frieza, it's not even his best, hell it's not even his second best. His first transformation when Gohan died and his Rage form transformations are both better.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
From DB it would have to be for me SS2 Gohan, but most epic for me were

Gon

CalmCapitalAmericansaddlebred-size_restricted.gif

and also i liked Ichigo power up

against Ulquiorra

HOLLOW-ICHIGO-hollow-ichigo-33604562-500-287.gif