• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
after playing Your Turn To Die and being blown away by it after not even knowing it existed until super recently, i realize there might just be a sea of VNs i've simply never even heard of

i've played all the well-known stuff and i know there's relatively known stuff like Steins;Gate which i haven't played(because i watched the anime, which was amazing) though beyond that im unsure what im missing out on

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The House in Fata Morgana.
I think it is not as unknown as it was when it launched, but it's definitely not on the same level as Steins;Gate, Danganronpa or the Nonary Games yet.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Higurashi.

Umineko gets a lot of love (for a VN I mean), but Higurashi is still my favorite of the two.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Otome games.

Crguardian.jpg

Play Code: Realize people (it's also on Switch and PS4 now).

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
It's not my favourite, but Utawarerumono is well executed and I liked it a lot. Hype for the prequel.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel I'm one of the 2 ppl in the forum that played World End Economica trilogy.

It might not be the 'best thing ever' but is charming enough and its portrait of the market stock methodology and functioning in very interesting.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
428 wasnt really overlooked in japan for what its worth.

Yeah, but on the other side of the pond? More people gotta check it out

Yep this one was also fantastic

I feel like something is wrong with me for not getting into that. PS4 version.

This looks cool. Waiting on a sale.

How far did you get into it? things do get nonstandard at times so I can understand if it might have gotten too weird in a route, (I live for this weirdness actually) but the further you go the more serious it gets.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not my favourite, but Utawarerumono is well executed and I liked it a lot. Hype for the prequel.

Picking this up at the end of the month. Heard a lot of good stuff but didn't want to jump in without playing the first game so I'm glad it's finally almost here.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The only time I will count it as a VN JUST BECAUSE YOU ASKED FOR IT :3
Hotel_Dusk-cover.jpg

NOBODY played this game, its developer went bankrupt and yet... It is the most well written game in this god forsaken industry.
It has as much text as you'd expect in a VN but keeps it efficient, believable short-form dialogue with great characterization,
a well-paced mystery with a lot of personal catharsis for its cast (really, all of them. No stone goes unturned).

And on top of that, or rather at its core it is so much more than a VN too. It perfectly utilized the features of the Nintendo DS,
to create the mechanics of the story. A lot of context-sensitive, puzzles and moments that are 100% immersive, and have you
do completely unexpected things, sometimes stuff you didn't even know your DS could do, or use the build of the system itself
to do subversive things, and it never felt like fluff to me.

hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

chase_02.jpg

Last edited:

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Picking this up at the end of the month. Heard a lot of good stuff but didn't want to jump in without playing the first game so I'm glad it's finally almost here.
You're doing it in the right way. I picked up Mask of Deception at like 8€ and I was on the verge on buying also the sequel Mask of Truth, but someone warned me that it has several ties with Prelude to the Fallen, so I'm waiting a good sale on these two to continue.

Now that I think about it, I have no idea how popular Utawarerumono actually is, but surely less than Ace Attorney or Danganronpa

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me it's gotta be AI: The Somnium Files. It had some big names behind it but it still unsurprisingly sold terribly by all accounts and it's a shame because it's really well made and good. A little pricey for sure but I bought it for 50% off on PS4 recently and it's well worth that.

OP
OP
Trelova

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Hotel_Dusk-cover.jpg

NOBODY played this game, its developer went bankrupt and yet... It is the most well written game in this god forsaken industry.
It has as much text as you'd expect in a VN but keeps it efficient, believable short-form dialogue with great characterization,
a well-paced mystery with a lot of personal catharsis for its cast (really, all of them. No stone goes unturned).

And on top of that, or rather at its core it is so much more than a VN too. It perfectly utilized the features of the Nintendo DS,
to create the mechanics of the story. A lot of context-sensitive, puzzles and moments that are 100% immersive, and have you
do completely unexpected things, sometimes stuff you didn't even know your DS could do, or use the build of the system itself

hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

hells yeah, this is such an incredible game. im glad it got a direct sequel in Last Window despite everything. they're both top tier detective stories and the style is gorgeous

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
For me it's gotta be AI: The Somnium Files. It had some big names behind it but it still unsurprisingly sold terribly by all accounts and it's a shame because it's really well made and good. A little pricey for sure but I bought it for 50% off on PS4 recently and it's well worth that.
Finished it a week ago, my biggest disappointment of the year so far, Ota's mom is the best though.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say House in Fata Morgana. Outside of this forum I've only ever seen it mentioned due to the uh, recent controversy it managed to get on Twitter (which is hilarious if you've played it). It really deserves more love, and is one of the best stories I've experienced in the medium as a whole. It has a truly haunting atmosphere thanks to its gorgeous art and amazing OST. I've gifted a few copies to friends and they've all been blown away.

I quite enjoyed 428 and the Utawarerumono games as well. I think it's a real shame they don't have a large following outside of Japan. Especially since they have great localizations and casts of characters. Utawarerumono especially feels like it'd be a much bigger hit with people who were into character-driven series like Persona. Hopefully more people give it a shot with the remake of the first coming soon.

I was also a bit surprised to not see much chat for Ciconia considering how popular Umineko and Higurashi are. Maybe I missed it, but that one seemed set for popularity. I haven't played it yet though, so not sure how it compares writing wise.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
AI The Somnium Files is somewhat popular online but I don't hear much talk about it either.

Its probably my current favorite VN even though its not perfect by any means, it has its issues in both a writing and performance perspective.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna throw in a vote for SeaBed, which is a fantastic mystery VN with a small cult following in the west.
It is not quite as obscure as Your Turn To Die, but then again almost none of the titles listed so far have been.

SeaBed is a yuri-themed mystery visual novel told through the perspectives of three separate characters: Mizuno Sachiko, a designer plagued by hallucinations of her past lover; Narasaki Hibiki, Sachiko's friend and a psychiatrist researching the workings of human memories; and Takako, Sachiko's former lover who has been rapidly forgetting her past, including how or why the two women drifted apart despite being together since childhood.

All three live in different worlds, but seek the same goal. To separate truth from illusion. To make sense of their own lives.

It is also available on the Nintendo Swatch.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Capacity by Theo Ellsworth.

4964203.jpg

Oops. Saw Visual Novel & read as Graphic Novel. Still, anyone struggling with creativity should find & read this gem.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen any mention of Analogue: A Hate Story in years.

You investigate a derelict generation ship through datalogs and conversations with AI. Somehow the ship had regressed to a essentially medieval-era society before the end, and it's your job to figure out how everyone died.

Also, although there's only two characters to interact with, your player character's choice of gender has a pretty big impact on how you are treated.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Famicom Detective Club Part 2

It'd be nice if the new remake somehow got localized after not ever getting an official English version for the original... but I have my doubts.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen any mention of Analogue: A Hate Story in years.

You investigate a derelict generation ship through datalogs and conversations with AI. Somehow the ship had regressed to a essentially medieval-era society before the end, and it's your job to figure out how everyone died.

Also, although there's only two characters to interact with, your player character's choice of gender has a pretty big impact on how you are treated.

That's a good one.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

Yes, so many people in the general audience for visual novels will pass over otome titles due to thinking that they will just be mushy romance titles without any other plot action. Several the big visual novels involve the male main character having romantic interactions with either one female character or several but it is usually not deemed as a negative trait for those titles.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
fwiw ever17 is in a weird spot where people only know it because of the twist being reused (and as such partially spoiled)

Ever 17 was one of my first VN's after the KEY VN's.
I was sucked into the setting and it will always hold a special place in my heart. The twist was phenomenal and I was "WTF"ing for hours. Was crying at the ending. The music was also great, Aqua stripe, LeMU, and to a lesser extent the opening, one of my favorite songs.

Couldn't finish ever7, though. Remember 11 was also great, but sadly had a rushed and unfinished ending.
999 and VLR could never reach the height of Ever 17.

Xenomiggs

Nov 8, 2017
Miami, FL
Hotel_Dusk-cover.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

chase_02.jpg

HOLY HELL, this. What a fucking great game. <3

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Hotel_Dusk-cover.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

chase_02.jpg
Ah, yes the perfect game to cure insomnia

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know that they've gone under the radar but Umineko: when they cry and 428: Shibuya scramble are must reads imo.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mention 428, Fata Morgana or Hotel Dusk for this. They're like, in every top 5 easily.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing Your Turn to Die last night, and I'm very impressed so far. Bonuses: it's free AND you can play on your phone?! Good mobile experiences are very hard to come by, so I'm thrilled.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Utawarerumono has the best executed and most believable character dynamics in visual novels. Please play them, OP.

Baldr Sky. It also has arguably the best gameplay I've ever experienced in a VN.

And this one is top of my wishlist. Heard great things.

Edit: I never see much love for Yu No, despite being a remake of a ground-breaking work. Currently playing that on Switch and really enjoying it.

I'm gonna throw in a vote for SeaBed, which is a fantastic mystery VN with a small cult following in the west.
It is not quite as obscure as Your Turn To Die, but then again almost none of the titles listed so far have been.

It is also available on the Nintendo Swatch.

Can you turn off the borders on the Switch version? I prefer black bars.

Last edited:

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I see this on the eshop all the time but hesitate because I'm not super into Otome despite hearing good things. Any reason this is better than other ones?

I always recommend this to first timers because it's very plot driven compared to other otome (the romance is there but it's pretty secondary), it has a strong setting (steampunk aesthetic is awesome), the art is gorgeous, great female protagonist and well-developed characters. Many of the characters are also based on famous literary characters like Frankenstein, Van Helsing, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

Akysys has it on sale pretty frequently so as long as you see it you can usually pick it up for 12 bucks on PS4/Vita (just came out on Switch so that'll take a little longer to get the price down, though it was on sale for $28 earlier).