• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Mainstream Sport is the Most Exciting to Watch

• American Football

Votes: 159 14.9%
  • Football (Soccer)

Votes: 348 32.6%
  • Baseball

Votes: 30 2.8%
  • Basketball

Votes: 223 20.9%
  • Hockey

Votes: 187 17.5%
  • Golf

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 114 10.7%

• Total voters

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
My favorite sport by far is baseball but part of the reason is precisely because it's so laid back.

For pure excitement, you can't beat basketball. It's non-stop scoring and defending in a lot of one-on-one match ups for 2 quick hours. I would add in that college football and basketball have a certain quality of being amateur but crowds being super raucous that makes them more entertaining than they would be if taken out of that specific environment/culture.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
Soccer and playoff Hockey. I try to watch 30-40 Habs a season.

Basketball is a sport I love to play every now but I find watching it to be a complete drag. I find NBA storylines to be more entertaining than the sport itself.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
American football, for all its issues, still has the most thrilling highs of any sport. Like nothing else even comes close to how exhilarating it can be. That's without even mentioning its depth and complexity. Shit is basically a CRPG played on the hardest difficulty.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Well can't say I have watched a lot of sports, but out of them football. The amount of skills on display is amazing. The control and complexity of it is ridiculous considering there are no hands involved (besides goalies)

Also, if UFC counts, which it should since it is a combat sport that would be the most exciting one. It can change in the blink of an eye.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Soccer can have moments where the larger point structure of a league can force a "do or die" moment, that's true. But I find that inelegant and inconsistent. It should be built into the game rules, not the league rules.

But the only way the sports differ in terms of "do or die" are shootouts, which I find to be an inelegant solution. Other than that it is down to league rules, not the sport.

Either that or you have seriously never seen a professional football game.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Of all the teamsports nba Basketball because there is constant action. Also you actually know who the players are. Combination of team and one on one battles. Offensive and defensive plays can be equally exciting.

Tennis is good too. One on one. Fast paced. Different styles.

I know I'm gonna be in the minority based on polling and it being the most popular world sport but soccer is fucking boring.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But the only way the sports differ in terms of "do or die" are shootouts, which I find to be an inelegant solution. Other than that it is down to league rules, not the sport.

Either that or you have seriously never seen a professional football game.
No. Shootouts don't solve this problem. There is never a moment in a shootout, *ever*, where the next kick's success means you win, and that same kick's failure means you lose. (In the game itself. If ties are allowed, this difference could exist with point totals within the league structure.) I also think shootouts are inelegant as well, since 90% of the game's structure and rules are thrown away for what amounts to a bizarre skills challenge to determine the winner of a hard-fought game.

Only sports where the score is capable of going up by more than 1 at a time does this feature exist. In basketball, if you're down by one, and you inbound with 2 seconds left, it's win or loss. In American football, with one second on the clock, down by five, and at the twenty yard line, it's win or lose.

I watch both the men's and women's World Cups and assorted Champion's League games, thanks.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
American football edges out basketball for me. The issues I have with basketball are the slow down that often happens at the end of games with fouling and reviews. There's also too many games where the first half seems meaningless. Every play in football can be game changing and I just find the overall action very entertaining. Basketball is still a close second.

I grew up on baseball; played little league, had baseball video games, went to pro games all the time. Now at days I find the game too slow and have a hard time watching 9 innings. Games need to be around 2.5 hours.

Last edited:

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I voted other, because I live in a place where winter sports (on skis) are the most exciting sports to watch. But of the American sports I favor baseball. It's charmingly laid-back but with intense psychological duels all the time.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does rallying count? It's the only sport (other than drifting contests ofc) where drifting is a legitimate strategy instead of a way to murder your tires really fast!

Dec 11, 2017
Football/soccer and hockey from that list. When there is a goal, it means something. People go nuts because it's so hard to score and the work involved is huge.

Basketball having high scoring is a massive negative for me, as the majority of the contest is anti-climactic unless a specific scenario allows for a shot at the end. It's far too technical from a foul/contact perspective as well.

Just for my own tastes. Feel free to enjoy b-ball all you want!

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Football (soccer) live is an experience with the right crowd.

love NBA but the american crowds are so dead.

my vote goes for Tennis though.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
It's football (soccer). As an European I've tried watching NBA to give it a fair chance, and while I love it, it doesn't compare to football.

The amount of skill, positional intelligence, training, football IQ needed to preform at a very high level just doesn't compare to any sport.

If you watch a game between two defensive sides, sure I'd understand why you'd think the game is boring, but once you watch a team absolutely dominate with quick passing, intelligent movement and more, you'd start to appreciate football.

For example, yesterday there was an amazing game (Chelsea v Ajax) which showcased most of the things I was talking about.

There is a reason why football is by far the biggest sport in the world, and only growing.