• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Show me the contemporary arcadey sports games of legend I should be aware. I'm especially curious about the indie side of things. Haven't been paying attention so I'm unaware.

Last gen we had the occasional morsel here and there like Mario Strikers, NBA Jam On Fire or WWE All-Stars (some of the Mario & Sonic Olympics entries were decent products too) but I'm yearning for stuff of the sort and we've pushed most of the past favorites like Windjammers/Street Hoop (Data East had it's share of home runs, they're slept on), Decathlete, Sega Soccer Slam and NBA Street 2 past the point of exhaustion so I'm thirsting.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
There's Disc Jam if you want a bit of a different flavour on Windjammers. Golf Story might fit your bill; Sports Story almost certainly will.

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Yikes, the volume of replies makes me fear there just aren't that many of us interested in such stuff. =/

Checks out, 2v2 RL matches of all kinds are a staple of our splitscreen sessions!

There's Disc Jam if you want a bit of a different flavour on Windjammers. Golf Story might fit your bill; Sports Story almost certainly will.

Big fan of both Golf Story and Pyre but I'm looking for more multiplayer oriented stuff as the core experience (will get around to Sports Story eventually, GS left a great impression so it's just a matter of time)... Disc Jam however I was not aware of and is exactly the sort of stuff I'm looking for. Wishlisted, many thanks!

OP
OP
Another

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Check NBA Playgrounds.
Good one. I've tried this once or twice and did enjoy what I played but saw no reason to purchase it considering I didn't really notice any significant upgrades from NBA Jam On Fire which is still something we play often. Were my initial impressions wrong? I should get it eventually anyway even if just to show support for such kind of releases in general.

Super Blood Hockey
Super Mega Baseball (if you set it up that way)

SBH looks right up my alley, thanks. Wishlisted.
SMB I'll have to luck into trying, I suppose... Baseball and American Football (won't deny I had some fun with Mutant League Football when I was a tween, though) games have never managed to grab me, but perhaps that's just because I've never played the right ones?

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My brother and I had a lot of fun with Mutant Football League and NBA Playgrounds.

Neither are the most polished games around, but they're enjoyable.

Oct 27, 2017
NBA Playgrounds has some solid similarities with NBA Jam.

Mutant Football League is a fun over the top take on American football.

I would also say, and some may dispute this, but... RBI Baseball was enjoyable enough, IMO. RBI '17 was, anyway. It's got such a minimal presentation and is so straightforward. It's no frills baseball and felt arcadey to me.

Anchelepizze

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Honestly, I don't see many on that level of quality, and it seems so weird that nobody is trying to make an arcade footy game

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
The answer here is definitely Rocket League, but Super Mega Baseball 3 just came out and is getting great reviews.

Tiechie

Oct 28, 2017
Laser league. I'm not sure how many players still play but I had fun when it first released.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I still play NBA Jam on my Xbox One, looks and plays great still. So that lol /shrug.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Dunk Lords came out recently:

It's a more self aware and over the top take on NBA Jam than Playgrounds.

Ridiculous Rugby is kind of a looser take on NFL Blitz (but rugby). It's out on mobile but the PC port is taking forever.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Good one. I've tried this once or twice and did enjoy what I played but saw no reason to purchase it considering I didn't really notice any significant upgrades from NBA Jam On Fire which is still something we play often. Were my initial impressions wrong?
On Fire Edition is way more fun to play, IMHO. Playgrounds tends to tilt a little too close to sim when it comes to aspects like shooting and defense. Jam is arcade through and through. If EA had ported On Fire to the Switch, I wouldn't have bought Playgrounds 1 or 2.