• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Maybe not the meanest but pretty disrespectful anyway. A colleague said the following last friday "good bye good people! And you too, minamu".

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure I can come up with something worse if I thought long enough, but that I was accident and a mistake, and I shouldn't have been born by my own mother.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Many many year ago my mother was taking my brother out to eat. Long story short some of my "friends" where driving around in a van and one of them mooned her. It turned into a HUGE deal. She wanted me to go after them and start beating them up. I was about 140 pounds and I couldn't fight (still cannot) so I pleaded with her saying "I am not a tough kid I cannot fight." so she turned around and said "If you were half the man your father was you'd go after them."

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
I was called useless many times growing up by my father. That is kind of stuck in my head almost 30 years later, still feels bad.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Plenty of stuff. I'm sure I've said things to people that were awful, too.

I don't dwell on any of it. I can't even remember any examples right now, despite having been shaken by horrible comments before. Water off a duck's back.

Baneros

Aug 22, 2018
Went out for drinks with some people, among them a couple of women who were "friends of a friend". I'd never met them before and this took place like half an hour after meeting them. I was sitting opposite one of them at a table and while smiling at me she just blurts out "You look like a friend of mine.. he's ugly too". I was completely stunned and couldn't even get a response out because at first I thought she was kidding, but apparently she wasn't. I've dealt with bullies in school before, but this was the first time experiencing the same kind of rudeness from someone I didn't know at all and who had no reason to act like that. Kinda ruined the night for me to be honest.

Nov 4, 2017
When I was 20 and really struggling with how to get my life on track, I went to an interview for a pretty generic assistant gig at some office. The guy interviewing me said, "I'm just going to tell you what no one else will - you are not going to be a success. You'll never make more than $25K a year, so just accept it now. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you don't have what it takes to be anything other than a drone making minimum wage."

That was ten years ago. I am comfortably in the six figure range and am considered to be the biggest success in my family. The guy who interviewed me? Judging by his age and , er, body, he's probably dead. I wish I knew where he was buried so I could dance on his grave on my next trip back to Miami.

The moral of the story is fuck those people - you're rad and they're probably rotting away in some discount pine box.
As i was reading the first paragraph i dearly, dearly hoped the second one would end the way it did.

Jesus Christ why on earth or what right does he have to say that to someone, that's just awful. You tweeted that and it went viral and he had to answer for himself, it'd probably just be some excuse along the lines of "I was just trying to inspire him, i wanted to light a fire under his arse". Like anyone would believe it really, but how is that his problem or duty? You were either fit for the role you was applying for or not.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I have managed to repress a lot of the stuff I had said to me, but here's a list of the ones that pop up:

1). My father saying to me on multiple occasions growing up and in undergrad that I'm useless, should be more like *insert person X", made his marriage a burden, couldn't survive back in his home country, etc.

2). Been called a stupid, ignorant, poor "nigger" and a disgrace to Black people since I wasn't athletic. Skinny, but not even remotely athletic or smooth with girls.

3). Had many jokes made to me abuse the physical and sexual abuse I suffered as a kid, from cousins, classmates, and people who knew about the basic details of those stories.

4). Was made fun of by some Evangelicals I used to go to church with who said my failed suicide attempts was a mistake by God.

5). Rejections and laughs from women being rejected, or opening up about my past. Or being ugly, awkward, etc.

So, life just sucks. It is what it is.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As i was reading the first paragraph i dearly, dearly hoped the second one would end the way it did.

Jesus Christ why on earth or what right does he have to say that to someone, that's just awful. You tweeted that and it went viral and he had to answer for himself, it'd probably just be some excuse along the lines of "I was just trying to inspire him, i wanted to light a fire under his arse". Like anyone would believe it really, but how is that his problem or duty? You were either fit for the role you was applying for or not.
It was rough to hear, not gonna lie. I was already feeling so directionless, that just made me feel like a failure - like my life was ruined before it ever got started.

Now I know the truth - life beats a lot of people down and they project that bitterness onto others. No one has any fucking clue as to another person's worth and we all have innate value. Most people just need a few lucky breaks to do a complete 180. That's what happened to me and it could happen to anyone else.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Mom who has psychotic disorder said: "I wish I never had you kids and wish that you all died." When we told her we were worried about her.

Next one was while I was at the bar with some coworkers since it was my last day worker there. I told the girl who I really liked there that I would miss her the most. Her response was: "Why would you? It's not like were even that close?" Which kind of broke me down. I asked her about it a few days later and she said that she was "just joking"... she wasn't.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I am having a hard time coming up with anything mean someone might have said to me. I'm sure there have been numerous things, but apparently I don't let it bother me? One of my best friends completely ghosted me like nine months ago, though, and that shit hurt. I assume it has something to do with her bipolar disorder, and I have seen her do it to other people, but I never thought she'd do it to me.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
My father would often resort to calling me a coward in so many ways. Usually because I was avoiding him during one of his (many) angry outbursts.

My wife once insinuated to me that she didn't think I'd be a good father.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was watching extreme make-over home edition when I was 11. It was an episode where a shelter for homeless people was destroyed in a storm. My dad walked into the room and said "You better watch closely because that's where you're heading". It really stung.

I resented him for years after that. It was only on my last year of college that I realized that he was angrier with himself more than anything. As a man with all his glory days in school and who dropped out of a prestigious university because he would rather be partying.

Once I got my degree we both grew to respect one another. I'm the kid that made it in his eyes and he's a man doing his absolute best to provide for his widowed mother and orphaned nephew even after my mother left him for someone else. She blamed them during the breakup

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A girlfriend's mom remarked, thinking I was out of earshot, "well, he's not much to look at" which was true. But joke's on her because it made GF like me more.

OH YEAH - on Saturday an old guy drove by me when I was getting something from my car and yelled "YOU CUT DOWN THOSE BEAUTFIUL TREES YOU ASSHOLES!" he was talking about some neighbor up the block. And he didn't cut them down, the city did because they had a super dangerous beetle infestation.

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I always got called fat. I had a girlfriend back in the day that said that there was no point in me doing anything because I was so fat, and me being fat would be damaging to her career because I'd be embarrassing her with my size. :/

:(

It actually still kind of hurts to this day. At least she's out of the picture for good, and I'm working real hard to get into shape.

I hope everyone in here is doing much better despite the hurtful words that were hurled at us.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I have managed to repress a lot of the stuff I had said to me, but here's a list of the ones that pop up:

1). My father saying to me on multiple occasions growing up and in undergrad that I'm useless, should be more like *insert person X", made his marriage a burden, couldn't survive back in his home country, etc.

2). Been called a stupid, ignorant, poor "nigger" and a disgrace to Black people since I wasn't athletic. Skinny, but not even remotely athletic or smooth with girls.

3). Had many jokes made to me abuse the physical and sexual abuse I suffered as a kid, from cousins, classmates, and people who knew about the basic details of those stories.

4). Was made fun of by some Evangelicals I used to go to church with who said my failed suicide attempts was a mistake by God.

5). Rejections and laughs from women being rejected, or opening up about my past. Or being ugly, awkward, etc.

So, life just sucks. It is what it is.
Yeah, how do you overcome that kind of shit man? Some people.
Hope you're doing fine now. That's always the best revenge: living a happy life. Fuck 'm.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, how do you overcome that kind of shit man? Some people.
Hope you're doing fine now. That's always the best revenge: living a happy life. Fuck 'm.

After two failed suicide attempts, I took it as a message to just keep going on with life. I've been a failure at most things, but I guess failing at that is one of my few accomplishments, I guess? As for doing fine, I'm breathing and living. Aside from that, not much else. I appreciate the sentiment, though. I hope your life is in a good place, or will be in a good place.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
"That's some really bad acne you have."

"...I know."

"Have you tried seeing a dermatologist about it?"

"...I have. Didn't work."

"Oh, that's too bad. Because it's really, REALLY bad."

My English teacher, in front of my whole class, when I was 15. I felt like fucking dying right there.
Ugh, yeah I've had similar. I was getting a haircut, back in high school, and the lady started talking to me about about my acne (which wasn't bad, but it was there) and what to do about it. I was like WTF bitch, I'm just here for a fucking haircut, not a dermatology appointment.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I've been called some pretty mean things when I was a teenager. Things are much better now as an adult since I can pick and choose who I spend time with, but during k-12 when you are forced to spend time with monsters for 8+ hours a day, mean comments are as common as taking in oxygen.

I've been called fat, useless, creepy, and someone related to me even said that I was like a caveman because I was socially awkward. That's just a small taste of the meaness that I've experienced in my time.

Things are a paradise now as an adult compared to my adolescence so that's nice.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I think the meanest thing has been silent treatment from people, but it doesn't get to me nearly as much as it used to.

Feb 4, 2018
I've dealt with chronic illness and disability since I was a tween, and have used mobility aids (wheelchair, braces, cane) at different points. One of my doctors at the children's hospital told me that no boy would ever find me attractive because of them and laughed in my face. I was young and it really messed me up. The worst part is, I was so nervous and shocked that I actually laughed along with her.

When I got older and headed off to college, guys did ask me out, mobility aids and all. I turned them down though because I wasn't interested. I realized I didn't care if guys thought I was attractive anyway and it had no bearing on my worth as a person.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Just the first one that came to my head.

My parents bought me these gold and maroon prescription sunglasses when I was like 17. They were hideous but I said thanks and inquired why they got me these.

"I had some additional funds that added up to about $200, so I decided to buy these for you. Otherwise, we'd NEVER spend that amount of money on you without it."

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't exactly mean, but I was quite upset after the fact.

I was a freshman in highschool. Just moved to a new location. Dentist appointment. The hygienist told me that I should stop smoking. I told her I never smoked in my life. She said that I did and she could tell because of the color of my teeth.

The fact that a "professional" was calling me a liar irked me the most. We obviously went to a different dentist after that.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
People have told me they hope me and my family die. Because I beat them in Battlefront II.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Probably my dad telling me at 16 (after failing all of my A-levels due to being a depressed, confused, traumatised mess) that signing up to a college course in games dev was a complete waste of time, that nobody ever gets anywhere with those, and that I'd just end up sacking it off and dropping out "like I always do"... That I'd end up with a dead-end job and never get anywhere in life.

I went on to get the highest grades out of anybody in my class, get offers from the best universities in the country, get a First, and am now working in the industry I always dreamed of. Ironically it didn't take long for his tune to change to shit like "I knew you could do it!" and "I'm so proud of you!", all whilst telling all his friends and family what a big success I am (and likely taking credit for it).

He's dead to me now. Got to cut those people out and never fucking look back, family or not.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
She didn't say this explicitly, but my ex cheated on me because I bored her.

Been called faggot.

Nov 17, 2017
I think it's really sad that a lot of the examples in this thread come from parents, siblings, or wifes/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends, etc.

I guess it really is the people closest to us that have the capacity to hurt us the most. My dad has definitely said the meanest things ever said to me.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Been called many things growing up and sometimes still by my dad that has pretty much scarred my self confidence to be shit. Still constantly compare me to people who are highly succesful at the same age as me.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im french-canadian with a learning disability with grammar for all my life. But i went to study creative writing at university anyway because stories are my passion.

One of my teacher at my second year stopped reading my novel for his class because he couldn't get past my first draft even tho still had mistakes in it and he said to me : Why are you studying in litterature?

Namea

Dec 2, 2017
"I'll drag you to the psychiatrist!"

My mother because I was afraid of being alone at home. She never bothered to get a babysitter or teach me as I got older. Just started to sneak out at night when I was three years old. Apparently my trauma was restricting her freedom, so she kept getting mad at me while I was scared to death. I guess this one really stuck with me. Not even gonna mention the terrible things that I was told at school.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
After two failed suicide attempts, I took it as a message to just keep going on with life. I've been a failure at most things, but I guess failing at that is one of my few accomplishments, I guess? As for doing fine, I'm breathing and living. Aside from that, not much else. I appreciate the sentiment, though. I hope your life is in a good place, or will be in a good place.
Thanx. That's sad to hear man. These people ruined your life.
Don't you worry about me. I'm a happy camper.

Ever thought about taking the "failure-talent" or Being bullied and humiliated thing to a new level so you can make money of it? I mean, you're an expert you say.
Youtube, comics, etc. Either in a funny way or in a educational way. Just thinking out loud here. I just think that if you could turn all this trauma into a positive it would be the biggest middle finger towards the asshats who said these things. But that might just as well be a bad idea. I don't know.

Best of luck. You deserve some.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Im not sure wich one but it would be from my mom one of my brothers.

But i dread when she says stuff like
'you are an inconvenience' 'i don't want to waste my time with you'' everybody is just gonna laugh at you 'im dissapointed'you are a failure why can't you be like X etc.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Probably co-workers who regularly bullied me joking about how I looked like the kind of guy who would one day come and shoot up the store.

Fuck that place.

And this one wasn't necessarily mean-spirited, it just hurt: I told my best friend in 6th grade he was probably my best friend and he told me I wasn't his, I was his second best.

I know that sounds really stupid but it mattered at the time.
Could have been a funny joke if he had a sense of humour but seems like he was just brutally honest?:^P

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Damage of words = (vileness of actual words) x ((time spent with person) ^ (how much you care about that person))

So the worst thing ever said to me by a stranger is nothing compared to a mild comment made by someone I love.

I honestly don't remember the worst thing I was ever told, buy it was from someone I loved immensely, and what I do remember was thinking, "that's the worst thing anyone's ever said to me. And she has no idea how much that hurt." It was something so specifically contextual.. but and I remember where I was (at her place) and that she was standing on the steps going up to the second floor, above, looking down at me. That added power to the words.

Maybe I should update the function to include elevation difference...

Ooh, I remember one that really affected me that wasn't from a loved one. A barber, when I was pretty young, told me that my eyes didn't line up, nor my ears (and that's why he couldn't do a very good job presumably?). That started me on body shame issues for most of my life.. it was bound to happen of course. School bullies (and immature people who have a crush on you, oddly) will find whatever imperfection to hammer. But damn, thanks, random adult, for making me question my value based on my appearance.

Last edited:

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
My dad has said some pretty mean things to me growing up. He always wanted me to be athletic so when I was forced to play little league baseball and suck at it he picked me apart. Calling me weak & scrawny. Nothing like having your own father's look of disappointment when you're trying your hardest.

takufox

Oct 27, 2017
My ex (who I was living with and had been with for 3 years at this point) told me I was a "piece of shit" and that I'm the reason why he drinks and is depressed all the time. In the moment I was angry that he said that because I always made sure I never insult him ever, and he turns around and tells me that. We broke up soon after this. A year and a half later, he's got his 90 day chip and he's trying to get back with me saying I'm the only one for him. HMPH!! People are pure evil sometimes.

Hideaki Annoying

alt account
Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Chicago
Someone assumed I knew what a song in Spanish was about (the cuban song "Guantanamera") since I am of the same background. She referred to my background with a slur. I was a young teen and it really took me by surprise how rude this person was.

Last edited:

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I got pretty lucky based on what I've seen in this thread. Some of the things that parents say to their children are horrifying and unforgivable.

A guy in high school said I looked like a rat because of the way that the sunlight showed through my ears. Another time a guy I knew gave a really delayed comeback to an insult and I said "you're hella late for saying that" and he said, imitating my manner of speech "you're hella gay for saying that"

When I was like 4 or 5 I was at a friend's place and he said I could never come over again for some silly reason, to which I said "well then can I go first on the slide since it's the last time I can ever come over?" And his response was "haven't you ever heard of sarcasm?"

Years later I was with the same friend at an event at his family's church. I'd never been to the church and didn't know anybody, so I sort of tried to stay near him and he goes "you know, you don't have to follow me around everywhere I go"

Nothing is really coming to mind that someone I knew said to me specifically with the intent of inflicting harm.