• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You are the devil."
-My schizophrenic mom to my 11-year-old self

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of a few that I remember...

Talked to a girl online back when I was a teen for a couple months. Everything was cool until I sent a pic. She responded back "can you fly with those things??" referring to my ears. She never talked to me again. Not a word.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I teach in a high school and was a substitute for a few years... You'd be amazed the things kids can come up with that they think will get under your skin.

That said, the meanest thing that someone said to me that actually had an effect was when I was back in middle school and a kid in my class told me to kill myself while we were having an argument. I hit him, we got in a real brief fight, both got suspended, and I got to spend the weekend thinking over what it would actually mean to kill myself; a thought that had never occurred to me prior to that interaction. But you move past these things and eventually it gets harder and harder for words of any kind to really do much of anything to you after the first time you hear them.

Jan 10, 2018
"I don't want to be with you. I want to be with a guy I can be proud of"

A girl I was in love with during high school. Never wanted to look at another girl after that. Thankfully I got over it eventually.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
One that stuck with me was when I was on Match years ago and a woman got in touch with me to tell me that my profile was great and that I sounded really funny and just her type but that she doesn't do baldies.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't know if it was the meanest, but definitely mean.

I was sitting across a girl all night and we flirted the whole time. I had to go, so I got up and left the bar.
We met again later at a party and she basically said to my face that she thought I would be taller and in that case she would have been interested.

Like... What the fuck? If that was her opinion, okay.. But why tell me? She really hit a sensible point there and I'm still kinda angry I didn't react more harshly back then. Should've asked her what her fucking problem was and if she really thought this was acceptable behavior.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"You are Satan"
"You are the reason I drink"
"I wish I never had you"

Repeatedly throughout my life from my mother. There are other worst things I could share but they are the kind of psychological forms of being mean and I don't know how to word it properly.

One in particular was my brother when I was suicidal yelling at me for asking one of his friends to come pick me up to save me essentially from my drunk mom that was terrorizing me and slamming stuff all over the apartment and him getting mad I even asked which lead him to drive off with his friend leaving me there to my own devices. Luckily I didn't jump off the bridge that night, just barely.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are some of you okay? Some of you have heard some truly fucked up things.

(As for me, I have some relatives with some problems, so I have heard some truly mean and vile things thrown my way. I've had to learn to not let it get to me. But when you hear someone repeatedly say that they fantasize about some fictional character like Kratos killing you violently, well, it's sort of surreal.)

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Two things come to mind...

Some kid in elementary school called me a waste of oxygen out of the blue, and about 5 years ago a friend/co-worker randomly commented that it's a good thing I didn't have kids and insinuated I'd be a bad father.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Come to think of it... the worst things I've ever had said to me come from myself. I never really had enemies or mean exes.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remember being in school about 14 or so and someone casually said to me something along the lines of 'you know none of your group like you, they don't want you hanging around anymore'

It was devastating I can still remember the gut punch, all of a sudden feeling rejected and alone

I remember feeling the same again a few years later, a mate in the pub dropped into conversation that some of the guys I played 5 a side football with were going to quit if I didn't, I was shocked, I wasn't the best but wasn't exactly an issue. And FFS your in your twenties just talk to me if you have an issue! The same feelings came back!

Last edited:

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
"You don't really have cancer, you're just fishing for sympathy/money" - submitted anonymously to me online, but, would have had to have been from one of my online friends, as they were the only ones I had told at that point. The anonymity was the worst, I didn't know who to feel comfortable around any more, and the thought that everyone felt that way just ate me alive.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
few months after I tried to kill myself my dad said it would have saved him a lot of trouble if I had succeeded, but I couldn't even get that right. Yeah that's probably it.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
too many to list, so many memories flooding back from high school.

One that always sticks out to me was when we had to partner up in history class for some project. I went right to the guy that I worked with last time cus I thought it went really well. He saw me approaching and in the most loud voice possible said "NO BRO, DONT EVEN COME OVER HERE. YOU ARE THE WORST YOU FAT FUCK." Everyone around laughed their ass off and I just went back to my seat till there was 1 other person left without a partner and got matched by the teacher.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
From my father, who said I was an embarrassment.

He'll die before he ever hearing my voice again.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I woke up early to play Oblivion and then my father walked by and said "get a life".

Uh, have you not seen my level 22 Dunmer Nightblade or what, you idiot.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably my ex girlfriend calling me a failure etc while she was the one with most issues going on its quite funny.

Glad i blocked that lil...... everywhere.
She dumped me cuz we had a few rough days because i spend more time on my horribly ill dad than her and was stressed out that he could die. Like bitch he is deadly ill, she never understood thst and roasted me and ended the relationship.

Honestly after that i was like fuck it i am done forever with this girl. She also made fun of the sexual abuse i had as a child. By jokingly saying bet you will end up with a guy since you did it with one before. Tbh after that i almost wanted to fly to england and have a fight lol but dw i didnt do that. Seriously tho making fun of me being sexual abused as a kid by a teenage guy is not fuckin funny. She is so pathetic and selfish its insane.

Also sucks this was my first relationship but tbh stuff like this can happen and it wont taint me. Its been 5 months now and my dad got a new kidney and is recovering and i am doing well irl :) i remember that she dmed me awhile ago and wanted to be friends LOL i was like nah bye and blocked her ass everywhere.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I honestly can't remember. Never had anyone really hurt me by words, they never had the reason to, I guess. Maybe they're mean behind my back but I don't really give a shit. I don't concern myself with the words of someone who doesn't matter to me in the slightest. Life is too short for that shit.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"We are glad your *insert racial slur* father is dead, we'd love to dance around his grave."

He died a week beforehand. I was 11.

Last edited:

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
My father died when I was a very young. At school I would get teased on fathers day about having 'a dead dad'.

Kids will be kids I guess.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
"You are the devil."
-My schizophrenic mom to my 11-year-old self
My mother (who i love dearly) has bi-polar and other issues. She would tell me as a little kid she wants to commit suicide but she feels too guilty about leaving us behind. In a resentful angry way like it's my fault. Imagine being a kid having to hear that shit!

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
People have said some pretty heinous shit to me trying to hurt me. Some pretty vile and hateful shit. But the two things that stick out the most were "you were a mistake" from my parents and "you have no passion" from an ex.

While extremely mild language compared to other things that have been said to me, they cut the deepest.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
All my love for you Era, sweet baby Jeezus, some of you went through some serious shit.

My contribution to this thread is peanuts in comparison, about 2 weeks ago, I had a short but heated discussion with one of the engineer guys over here.

It pretty much came down to a right idea, wrong execution type of deal. My manager called me to clarify the issue and, while busy, I took the time to meet this guy, but right out of the gate he already popped off, claiming the job he did was ok etc, some back and forth and a few interruptions later it all comes to a head. Culminating in him brushing my shoulder in a really dismissive way and saying "I didn't understand it."

Holy shit. I nearly grabbed his hand and escalated the situation, but ended just glancing at my manager and walking away >:[

It wasn't exactly mean, as much as it was disrespectful. Really rustled my jimmies, never been so disrespected and I was right.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
In an argument with my husband, that I was just like my father ( who literally starved us and much more awful criminal things) because I forgot to vacuum

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Can't even say. It will stick with me for life and there isn't a week that goes by that i don't think about it.
It was 30 years ago.

Edit: wow, some horrible stuff in this thread. Brrr....

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
"I'm not 100% confident in you feeding my cat while I'm away" (and anything related to not trusting me).

"You got fat" (I did get huge at the time, but still, it hurt a lot).

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
"Why can't you be more like (insert neighbor/classmate name here)?" - my Mom.

"Just because we have more pictures of your brother doesn't mean we love you less." - my Mom, who initiated the conversation. Pulled me aside and sat me down to tell me that out of nowhere. It's like...who are you trying to convince, here?

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Eh, I can't really think of anything other than a few schoolyard insults when I was a kid. I guess the most recent thing is a co-worker telling me that my boss didn't like us when I worked at GameStop. I later found out that she was forced to hire some seasonal workers despite having full-time workers who'd have their hours cut due to us seasonals coming in, so I didn't take that as a personal insult.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about meanest, but the one I keep replaying in mind from time to time is from college. There was a honor student ceremony, and my chemistry lab partner got a special award. I saw her at the reception afterwards and gave her my congratulations, unbeknownst that her WASPy stereotype of a dad was with her. He inquired who I was, and when she told him I was her lab partner, he said "oh, this isn't the worthless one who doesn't do anything, is he?"

I think all I managed was a meek, "Gee, I hope not," and then some excuse for somewhere else I had to be. I don't even know where that came from because I made it a point to never be dead weight in anything I did. Maybe it wasn't even directed at me, it wasn't uncommon to have multiple lab courses at once after all. It still stuck with me for all these years though. But whatever. I have PhD and decent career in a STEM field, and despite all that guy's money and hoity-toity attitude, he's probably dead.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The worst thing a complete stranger told me was "You're a bad person."

I was working a dumb customer service job. This lady was having an entitled tantrum because she felt that she hadn't been helped quickly enough.

At the time, I was comforted by the idea that the hag's rotted personality was clearly the biggest obstacle to her own happiness. Like, who talks that way to someone they've just met? Pathetic.

Last edited:

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Basically somebody commented on a photo of me that I looked like a fat version of Sean Astin

I have been extremely self conscious about my size ever since I was a child and that comment was validation of my insecurities

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That they hoped my home caught on fire and my family burnt to death inside.

Because I enjoyed No Man's Sky at launch and disagreed with a few comments on Reddit.

There's more harmful stuff in my past IRL but that was the most blunt from recent times.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
"My Dad is going to shoot you dead because I don't like you" - Neighbours kid when I was 5 years old.

"I am going to fucking slash your throat you faggot lover, you better sleep with your eyes open" - person in my dormitory in high school, found to own a machete by the supervisor I reported him to.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I've been called ugly, stupid, and was told to my face that I have shitty taste in everything
I should mention that I never said anything that mean to anyone in my life ever
What can you do