• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Is there even a game of that caliber today? Crysis was infamous for pushing the boundaries of graphics way beyond what was the norm for its time.

Disclaimer: I'm not a PC gamer so I have an outsider's perspective of this whole thing. Detailed explanations are welcome as I find the PC world fascinating - it's just too expensive for me.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Digital Foundry actually called Cyberpunk the new Crysis. Other than that, maybe Flight Simulator.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Cyberpunk with RT completely maxed out, everything at Psycho settings

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Flightsim 2020 is extremely similar to Cysis in 2007. It relies mainly on single thread speed of the CPU to determine the final framerate for the most part.

MrOblong

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely Flight Simulator 2020 to me. An absolute juggernaut at 4K.

And if that's not enough of a hardware challenge, try it in VR.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk is a pretty bad benchmark considering how people might have wildly different results because of bugs, compatibility issues and optimization issues.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Is there even a game of that caliber today? Crysis was infamous for pushing the boundaries of graphics way beyond what was the norm for its time.

Disclaimer: I'm not a PC gamer so I have an outsider's perspective of this whole thing. Detailed explanations are welcome as I find the PC world fascinating - it's just too expensive for me.
Flight Simulator. It Crushes GPUs and CPUs like nothing else

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Cyberpunk and Flight Sim.

Cyberpunk for RTX stuff, Flight Sim for just "make my PC scream" levels of benchmarking

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Cyberpunk is a pretty bad benchmark considering how people might have wildly different results because of bugs, compatibility issues and optimization issues.
Besides the weird AMD cpu behaviours do we really know that the PC version of CP2077 is badly optimised?

It sort of fell within my own expectations, it always looked like a huge challenge for CPU and GPU.

It's hardly a benchmark if you need to intentionally limit yourself though

What do you mean by intentionally limit?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Crysis was infamous for pushing the boundaries of graphics way beyond what was the norm for its time.
It was also infamous for being so badly optimized on the CPU side that it's almost impossible to this day still to run it at locked 60 fps.

If you couple the two then the short answer is - no, there is no another such game on PC right now - meaning a game which is both graphically more advanced than what current gen GPU h/w is able to deal with at an acceptable framerate and simultaneously has an unbeatable CPU side bottleneck which prevents it to run at high fps even on more capable GPUs.

If it's just the graphics then most RTX titles fit the bill quite nicely, especially the two which are fully path traced.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
nothing

cyberpunk is impressive in a lot of ways but its hilariously janky and underbaked in a lot of others. its definitely no crysis

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its Ghost Recon Wildlands at 4k ultra. Im kidding, but every benchmark ive seen, it always obliterates framerate.

In truth, right now its MS FlightSim or Cyberpunk psycho settings with every RT option on.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
just because something doesnt run well doesnt mean its crysis lol

crysis was a massive leap forward in graphics and physics for the industry at the time, and it utilized several of that element in its gameplay as well.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Maxed out Cyberpunk (RT Included) and Flight Simulator.
Though Cyberpunk sometimes feels its more down to poor optimization than for real merits. Flight Simulator though... damn.
I'd say for pure performance testing Doom Eternal is very reliable. Not so much for being demanding, but because it runs butter smooth on many machines, and can be pushed super far in terms of framerate.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Control and Cyberpunk maxed with RT. Non ray tracing, Flight Sim 2020 has to be it.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Cyberpunk I would say. I doubt even a 3090 could run it near 60 fps with psycho raytracing on and at 4k without any form of DLSS. MSFS also, particularly on the ultra setting.