• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I know there are places like Frankin's BBQ that have 5 hour lines or whatever but that seems obscene. Has anyone waited that long for food?

I don't think I've waited more than 30 or 40 minutes a few times.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Physically waiting there, or just waiting for a table?

I've certainly had some long waits for a table before, but it's usually not just sitting in the restaurant waiting to be seated, and accompanied by the button that goes off when our seats are ready, or a text message.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I usually just reserve tables when I go out for dinner, if I have to wait before having a nice meal, the magic is already worn off.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
I've never heard of waiting in line at a restaurant. :/ I think the last time I had to do that was for school dinners nearly 40 years ago. 😳

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's also used as a tactic to drum up interest from passerbys. People see a line coming out the door and they say to themselves "wow the ice cream must be really good. Let's check it out!" I'm talking Salt & Straw in this example.

But it also gives the purveyor time to prepare whatever you ordered. It promotes the "artisan craft" angle. Right, it's not fast food is what they want you to understand. I'm going to take one order at a time, and calmly walk to the speed rack to grab a fresh croissant and hand it over to you with gratitude (e.g. Lune Croissanterie).

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I waited maybe 5 minutes once, and got offered a glass of crémant (sorta like Champagne) because of the delay.
It's always weird to me to see how americans sometimes have to wait to be seated.

Unless we're counting Disneyland, then I waited in line for like 20 minutes once or twice.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Thirty minutes in an IN-N-Out drive thru line, but only because someone pulled in behind me and I was trapped.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
1 hour. Man man in Singapore. Worth it for good unagi. Watching the eel get impaled, skinned and grilled (simultaneously) from my counter seat was not an ideal reward for the waiting time though!

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
AccurateOblongIcelandgull-max-1mb.gif

But seriously an hour at a Sushi place in Japan. Worth it.

navii

Oct 28, 2017
I bet the Venezuelans would have a different view about waiting in line for a restaurant while there are 50 other places around the corner waiting for you...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
15 minutes or so. I tend to organize this stuff so I reserve the table if I know it's a place where it may be an issue.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
30 minutes or so. We got an beeper though and access to an bar while waiting for our table. Was in London.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I think it is quite a bit different here (in the UK) compared to America.

Longest waiting time was an hour in a small pub in the rural countryside — just eight tables, and all but one of them were already booked. We played some old fashioned games and had a few drinks before we were seated. The food was certainly worth the wait!

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I did Franklins and it was worth it, plus they had chairs and let you drink outside so it was fun to get morning buzzed with friends on a weekend

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Couple of hours for Burger and Lobster, although for one of those I waited in a pub around the corner from the restaurant.

Nov 8, 2017
Probably Disney fast food I guess?

I can't think of any proper restaurant that even had lines. Either there's a table available and you eat, or there isn't and you go somewhere else or come back later. The only thing close to a line was Hard Rock Cafe in Amsterdam, in which you can't make actual reservations, but you can only book "priority seating", then they give you a device that lights up when a table is available. Took around ten minutes from what I remember.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
3 hrs at Franklins BBQ in Austin. Totally worth it. One of the best meals I've ever had. Pure BBQ nirvana.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
A place just outside of town typically has 2 hr waits if you don't have reservations. Of course my family can never plan ahead so I never know when to make reservations for us when they are in town. Everyone will just randomly decide to go and then complain about the wait when we get there.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a thing on my list that I would never do in my life, ever. Plenty of options to dine/have lunch, would never wait in line to be seated. Only for fast food or buffet I would stand in line, it's part of it.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Used to wait about 2 hours on occasion for the best KBBQ place in town, and that's when it was low-key to the point where it was rare to see non-asian people there. Tried to go the other day and it was completely untenable

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit 5 hours to eat BBQ? This has to be the best BBQ ever

Demand these people posts photos:
OP got it. Franklin's lol. I think I waited 3.5 hrs
I did Franklins and it was worth it, plus they had chairs and let you drink outside so it was fun to get morning buzzed with friends on a weekend
3 hrs at Franklins BBQ in Austin. Totally worth it. One of the best meals I've ever had. Pure BBQ nirvana.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I waited about an hour for brunch one time, but only cause my friends insisted. Most I'll wait is usually 20-30 mins.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Probably an hour ot two. Recently stood in like for 30-45 min at Hattie B's in Nashville...would have gladly waited for much longer

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Was a few places in London that had long wait times but honestly there is more than enough places to eat there so I always refused to Q and just went somewhere else.

Aint got no time for that

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I was in London for a Legend of Zelda symphony with a couple of friends some years back and we went to some "authentic" Italian restaurant. We were kind of not right at the center of things so it was the only restaurant we could find quickly (we were hungry).

First we had to wait for 15-20 minutes to be seated, then we waited for, like, 30+ minutes to get our orders in and then we waited for another 30+ minutes to get our orders.

And then at least my food was shit. I decided to "try one of these simple basil pizzas, like, people always rave about how Italian pizza is simple, made of few ingredients, but still delicious". What I got was a pizza that had not 1, not 2, but 1,5 basil leaves on it. Like only one or two bsil leaves is pitiful but to have half a leaf still cracks me up. I would've returned it but at that point I was so hungry and I'm too ecological to waste food so I just decided to cut my losses and eat it.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Outside? 1 hour for some ramen in SF. It was worth it.

After I was done eating? 1.5 hours and no signs of a bill despite asking 3 times and asking to see the manager. They only budged when I started packing to leave without paying. It was not worth it.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Something like one hour and a half after ordering. I ended up calling the restaurant to tell them a table at the back was still waiting.
It wasn't anything fancy or known for lengthy waits, they just fucked up.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There is a Tex-Mex place near me in NJ called José Tejas. It is ALWAYS packed unless you go right when they open, but that's 11am and who wants that kind of food that early lol

On a random Thursday it's a 45-60 minute wait. On weekends, over an hour. They flip the tables so fast, they are so efficient. You wait so long and you're out of there faster than the amount of time you waited but it's worth it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
2+ hours at some hole in the wall Korean place. it was super sketch, hardly even an "establishment" but the food was allegedly incredible so we tolerated it.
after about the first hour a friend went to the liquor store next door and brought back a bottle of Crown and we started taking shots, at that point not giving a fuck. so then the time whizzed by.

one of the best meals i ever had in my life, so worth it

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably around 30-45 minutes or so? I remember we waited awhile for The Original Pantry Cafe during my trip to LA, but the breakfast was worth it.