• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ni no kuni 2

didnt know you could dash in that army mini game they have. kept losing this one stage until i finally learned of it and leveled up a ton.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I finished Vanquish and to this day have no idea how people are pulling the stuff I see on youtube for that game. All I remember was I kept running out of battery and thinking this game sucks and could have been so much better.

I also finished Metal Gear Acid and have no idea how the card system works. I just used the cards I had available.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The Official Thread of the Overwatch Playerbase

I've never played an online game where people have 800+ hours in game and still don't know where not to stand.

Ah yes, the "getting sniped immediately by Widow on King's Row Point A" special. Or "what do you mean I can't just stand in the gate on Hanamura?"

Oct 25, 2017
My entire first playthrough of Infamous (hero mode) I completely missed that I could buy upgrades in the pause menu. Still loved the game though, and evil mode was a lot easier with that information.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I beat FFX not knowing that that bar on the side of the screen was the turn order and that I could manipulate it. It made some fights such a pain in the ass.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Played through Golden Sun without an understanding of the djinn system. I could never make sense of it and I'm positive I wasn't utilizing it correctly. I still enjoyed the game but it also made was weary of complicated RPG systems.

Dec 18, 2017
Well considering I've owned BOTW since launch and only just completed it tonight, seems like a shoo-in. The other thread about the lightning and weapons made it painfully obvious to me I've not been creative enough in that game. Masterpiece.

Oct 27, 2017
I got to level something stupid as a hunter (that was my main character) in WoW without ever using feign death. It would have been tough to play the character more wrong.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
card-gameplay-bk.jpg

Baten Kaitos card numbers

The spirit numbers are the way to create combos. If you have sets of numbers (in other words, at least two of every number you use, like 22333, or 223344) or if you have a straight set (like 1234 or 4321) then you get big bonuses to your damage. You can change the numbers with the C-Stick which i never even touched.

When i played this at aged 14, I kept only using the strongest cards, i didn't evwn asked myself why there was numbers on the cards

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Played 25 hours into Zelda BotW without knowing you can buy new armor.....

So I pretty much did a exploration of the entire world map as much as I can without progressing through the story.

I been in towns but never actually knew there were shops selling gear......lol

I literally played through the game, using tools/foods to get through enemies and obstacles. Pretty cool.

I put like 90 hours into the game, saw the credits, and played through a lot of its other content, and I don't think I ever really bought gear. I had the alternate outfits that were required like the geurdo outfit set but that was it.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I think I'm doing that now with FFXIV . Idk how people the same level as me have about 800 more or even 1000 more health than i do or how they have all these mounts and skills etc im just doing the msq to beat ARR

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the combo system. Took me about 60 hours into the game to learn how to use them.
Absolutely. I spent a dozen hours hating the combat system because battles took way too long, levels seemed superflous when I was still getting rocked by monsters 5 levels below me and updating my equipment only for it to show minimal improvement was soul crushing. Turns out ignoring the prompts for orb combinations up top and just letting the AI do whatever it wanted is not the way to play the game, and the entire combat system is based on chaining orbs. Not that the game explained the importance of blade synergy to get off combos, because well, dunno.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Not knowing how the Environmental and Batmobile takedowns worked in Arkham Knight. It made fights unnecessarily long and bothersome with larger groups of enemies.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
I managed to beat Tales of Rebirth the first time without knowing how to manually switch lines. The game is much more fun knowing that.

Also when ff8 came out, I imported with very little Japanese and didn't junction anything. I made it to the ice dungeon on disc 3. I also level grinded on the island closest to heaven.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Not me but I remember a friend of mine playing WoW for a considerable amount of time without learning new skills. He played warrior and only used mortal blow.

Oh and also no talents lol

htp314

Oct 31, 2017
Batman Arkham Asylum. I didn't understand the combo system/fighting mechanism until after I beat the game. Made it much easier in Arkam city.

Nov 8, 2017
Probably Eve Online and Path of Exile. I love both games but generally just grind away barely scratching the surface of what is possible by better players.

I don't play as much Factorio, but it's a similar experience.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The very first time I played Bloodborne I got very far into the main game without upgrading my weapon. The worst part was that I was following a guide!

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing ace combat it was 4. Never saw the buy sell planes menu.

Always ended up in hangar for plane selection, always empty with only starter plane available. Almost finished the game with starter phantom before understanding how to buy planes.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Sekiro, I guess. I`ve played it like a Souls-game for 20 hours or so, until I realized that I probably won`t be able to finish the game this way and need to learn how to parry. This was kind of misunderstanding on purpose, lol.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I think this counts: in Spider-Man PS4, I didn't realize I could upgrade my gadgets until somewhere around 40-50% story completion (and also having completed a large percentage of the different collect-a-thons already by that time).

The worst thing is I knew the gadgets could be upgraded, I just didn't notice that the first upgrade for multiple of my gadgets was "unlocked" and ready to be upgraded. For some reason, I kept thinking all the upgrades were locked and I was wondering when I'd get to the part in the story where they'd unlock.

By the time I noticed, I had so many different tokens that I was able to upgrade a lot of my gadgets close to fully upgraded.

OP
OP
Clay

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Sekiro, I guess. I`ve played it like a Souls-game for 20 hours or so, until I realized that I probably won`t be able to finish the game this way and need to learn how to parry. This was kind of misunderstanding on purpose, lol.

I beat the first four bosses without parrying, wildly dashing around like a maniac, before finally accepting that you just can't play the game like Bloodborne. I had decided based on trailers that the game was going to play exactly like BB, just with a different setting.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Played through Golden Sun without an understanding of the djinn system. I could never make sense of it and I'm positive I wasn't utilizing it correctly. I still enjoyed the game but it also made was weary of complicated RPG systems.

I was a kid and I always assumed you just stack the djinns to their elemental counterparts, like Isaac gets all the Earth djinns, etc.

I think it broke something in my brain when I looked things up on the Internet and saw all the advice of switching djinns around to gain different powers and abilities.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't if it counts, since I have been aware of my cluelessness for years, but every RTS ever. I just suck at strategy games, yet I still enjoy playing them.

The Total War games in particular are a good example. I always let the computer auto-resolve the battles, I have no idea how to compose a balanced army, my city management skills are poor and my diplomats and merchants starve from boredom. I play on the lowest difficulty level and still struggle at times. Any Total War veteran seeing me play would weep.

But goddamn do I just love the empire building aspects to death. I still play (read: stumble my way through) Rome and Medieval 2's campaigns from from time to time because I love pretending my hand is actually shaping history on a global scale despite having no idea what I am doing.

Oct 25, 2017
Back when Vanilla WoW released originally I was playing a rogue and I was convinced +hit% was a stupid stat.

I fundamentally didn't understand the way hits and misses worked but in my mind the world worked like this.

Crits can't miss
A crit does double the damage of a regular hit
If your critting more you're not missing and doing twice the damage
Therefore hit gear is pointless

What I didn't know is that the game first checks to see if a hit lands before it calculates if it is a crit basically rendering my entire thought process moot.

I legit thought like this still a year into TBC.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Probably vanilla wow, didn't know to use slice and dice on boss fight till MC, as someone who maimed rogue, lol.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not a big one, but when I first playef superstar saga, I didn't know what the stache stat was and never bothered using exp points for it.

RonianAT

Jul 23, 2019
I think Braid, I played it really late (last year). I knew since years about the rewind mechanic and I couldn't reach some puzzle and got annoyed. Later I randomly found out that you can forward and even faster rewind/ forward lol! :D

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I made it to the end of horizon before seeing a clip online that made me realize as you flee you should pan the camera to look behind you. You're able to target enemies still even though your characters back is to them. Till then it was run hide or dodge at random and shoot for me. Had no clue I could lure them Into a chase then take my time to aim while I could still see them and bullet time a fancy shot at them.

Just never occurred to me the entire world was generally open field so itd be safe to point the camera at what's chasing me and flee without looking where I'm going like that. Makes combat far easier.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Literally all my playtime with the Grand Strategy genre (Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, etc).

I can play them and get by most of the time, but I feel there's so much more I could learn and do. It's like knowing just enough of a language to carry a basic conversation vs. actually being fluent in it.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Fighting games in general, played thousands of hours in my life and yet seeing a lot of talk between fighting game fans is like another language to me. Still have a blast in single player modes though.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I kept playing Sekiro like a turtle Souls game, I started over this week and played it like it's suppose to be, very aggressively.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I have played many many games of Tetris while oblivious to the existence of the hold piece feature.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I just finished Breath of the Wild, having found the guardians so intimidating since my first encounter with one that I never learnt the 'shield reflect' move that has a tiny window to reflect a laser blast. I just used the bow, where if you shoot them in the eye, it disables them for a few seconds, allowing you to go in with melee weapons or run away. That was the first thing I learned as a strategy against them as the shield reflect got me killed the first time I tried it in the early game, so I looked elsewhere for tactics. Often I just teleported out rather than deal with one stalking me. Imagine my surprise to run into a late game boss fight and not ever having successfully used the technique that I'm supposed to have mastered. Same goes for several other systems- I don't think I ever used fire for updrafts, hit an electric enemy at the right time to force an explosion, chopped down a tree to make a bridge, or ever sailed a raft with a korok leaf. There's just so many ways to do everything and get anywhere that when I ran into 'you must do it this specific way' in boss fights it was like my old Zelda mindset of 'relax, run through your armoury and skillset until you find the one thing that works' had disappeared as the game elsewhere had said 'do it however you want'. Absolutely magical game.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
The first Dark Souls, I think. It probably took me 20+ hours before I fully understood all the details about that. :)

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Played through the single player mode of Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 without ever snapping to cover. Played it like a pure FPS because I was dumb.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
FF14.

Went in as my friend's noob tank ... when they took a break things got hella stressful hella fast for me. Took getting to like level cap on my own before I felt like I knew wtf I was doing.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII as a kid. I reached the 4th CD without understanding the junction system. It only started making sense in Ultimecia's Castle

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I ran from every single random encounter in FFX since I wanted to see more of the story as fast as possible. I somehow ended up making it to Seymour Flux before hitting a wall.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I made a thread about it last week, but I got all the way to the last boss in Bloodstained before I realized that first time food buffs were permanent, that many of the buffs were related to magic recovery, luck, and exp, and that overlevelling passive shards could make them permanent skill shards.

My experience with the game changed drastically after that, as did my experience with the last boss and farming the secret bosses.