• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
The Evil Within 1 is as ugly to look at as it is to play.

Good examples in this thread but to me nothing comes close do Drawn to Death, I mean, look at this disgusting mess of a game

Drawn-to-Death%E2%84%A2_20151202170034.jpg

At least the game gave us Internet Dan:

Last edited:

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
The Saboteur: The game has an in a Sin City esque art style, that represents the Nazi occupation of Paris. When you clear out a area of the map, that area turns to color which represents liberation. I dig what the game was going for, but I found the look of the liberated areas to be ugly.

uIAV4z.png

maxresdefault.jpg

415376-the-saboteur-windows-screenshot-found-a-hidden-lookout.jpg

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
So absolutely Nihdogg 2.

The original was actually building up a decent head of steam when they released 2, and it was so hideous it killed both games and may well have killed the nascent ultra-minimalist fighting game genre it was building. it wasn't like a competitor came in and ate their lunch; it's just Nihdogg 2 is so fucking ugly everyone stopped playing the games.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
The calico cat Cafe game is the first game to ever turn me off entirely due to its art style. There's just too much pastel and it's used everywhere. Nothing looks solid or tangible.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
There are few games I'd describe as looking horrendous, but that is how I feel about the mobile/PC port of Final Fantasy VI

htpH6yh.jpg

lit took me several minutes to convince myself to not report you for introducing this monstrosity into the thread. Literally an all text only version would be preferable to this.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Not to be too shady, but Coral Island, the farming game made by one of our own and just launched a Kickstarter. The character models (not the 2d art) is incredibly off-putting.

Stardew Valley is also ugly.

In general I don't like most AAA shooter things art directions.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Every single Stardew Valley clone thus far.

Not to be too shady, but Coral Island, the farming game made by one of our own and just launched a Kickstarter. The character models (not the 2d art) is incredibly off-putting.

Stardew Valley is also ugly.

In general I don't like most AAA shooter things art directions.
Stardew Valley is gorgeous.

Rimpim

Banned
Feb 7, 2021
Deathloop looks absolutely beautiful, I would have bought a PS5 for that game if it were a exclusive, but to the topic:

Literally anything that resembles anime. Can't stand it.

13-3-7780650.jpg
b714ea821f688732bbbc8d111d56556c.jpg

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Borderlands saga
Immortals (human characters)
Xenoblade chronicles x (characters)
Bravely default 2
Final fantasy 9
Fallout 3-4 (ugly art)
Jump start (mix of assets)
Bayonetta (main character primcipally :S)
Monster hunter
Psychonauts (main art)

all of this games have ugly character designs or weird art styles and hardly can play them :S

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I tried Persona in the PS plus collection. After the opening escape sequence I decided I couldn't handle the style of that game. Everything in the UI is so obnoxiously flashy and non static, I really couldn't stand it.

I
You have to give it a good 50 hours before it melds with your mind and the animations become part of your thoughts. That said p4 transitions and style is much superior to do the stronger editing.

Jun 22, 2019
Immortals Fenyx was the most recently released game to come to mind, but I'm sure my brain may have erased some others.

Stardew Valley is gorgeous.

Horrendous would be a bit too strong, but I also didn't like Stardew's aesthetic at all. I never actually saw what it looked like back when everyone was hyping the hell out of it for the first time, and when I finally booted it, I was so utterly disappointed by how much the art style failed to resonate with me. (Didn't help that I ended up hating the gameplay too.)

parski

Nov 13, 2017
neo-the-world-ends-with-you-screenshot.jpg

This screenshot of Neo: The World Ends Eith You got me less excited about the game. It may very well be pre-alpha 0.0.1 but judging by what we've got:
  • The textures. Look at the asphalt. The zebra lines. They either look low res or half assed.
  • Four identical cars at least. Four identical NPCs at least. It's not graphical fidelity but I can't stand stuff like this.
  • The camera's perspective is way too skewed. Look at the buildings. It's like they're leaning over the streets. I have no idea why they did this to this extent.
  • Game easily looks 15 years old.
But hey it's probably gonna be great, I just thinks it looks really bad right now.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I love Nioh 2, but absolutely hate their choice of colors, Yukai related special effects and menu design.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
The trailer for the new Pokémon Snap left me pretty downbeat about it's graphics. The actual Pokémon looked great, the environments though, not so much.

NeoPancho

Nov 3, 2017
The 2 Fire Emblem games for DS, i get that after reusing pretty much the same sprites for 3 games in GBA it was about time to some changes... but i don't know how anyone could give the OK to such hideous prerendered sprites.

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ

i actually like the art and vibe but really not a fan of the character design feel awful for the devs with the amount of negative dog piling this game is getting

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Nier Automata. Bland colors and ugly graphics. Only thing that saves the game are the character designs

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade 2. It can look pretty but my main issue with games is if their styles aren't consistent. I can tolerate a lot of weird games, even if they aren't always the most pleasant to look at, if they feel cohesive. Not only do some of the main cast feel like they don't belong in the same game, then you add the guest characters. And then the enemy units are an entirely different style too.
I feel you on this. It's not my cup of tea either.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I was never very happy with Ni No Kuni's art style but so many people praised the game so much I thought I'd give it a shot. Barely got past the intro. Just not for me in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
unfortunately Burnout Paradise. that game was released smack dab in the middle of the brown filter & bloom era of video games and the remaster looks slightly better but still not great. give me back Burnout 3

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The Saboteur: The game has an in a Sin City esque art style, that represents the Nazi occupation of Paris. When you clear out a area of the map, that area turns to color which represents liberation. I dig what the game was going for, but I found the look of the liberated areas to be ugly.

uIAV4z.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I just installed this the other day and yeah, the graphics definitely do not hold up very well.

Pretty standard for a non-AAA open world game in the 360/PS3 era.

You're right that the black+white with small splashes of red and yellow looks cool, but the color areas are rough, as well as the character faces.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I generally don't like the "living on a junkyard" look of most postapocalyptic environments, like Fallout or Borderlands. Besides that I'm usually more annoyed by recognizing an asset pack being used in like five different games. The current popular one is that set of capital space ships that appears in games like Rebel Galaxy, Battlegroups VR, Star Traders Frontiers and a bunch more I can't remember right now.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
If I'm being honest:

I was very disappointed in Street Fighter V's style.

Graphics and animation are all very high quality but it's all wasted on weird color palettes and uninspired art direction.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I didn't really like how Bloodstained looked. It felt...I dunno, kinda cheap? And some of the areas were pretty uneven visually as well.

Yeah. Some of those character models were straight-up hideous. The style of that game just didn't work at all.
My sentiment, i think it looks okayish in some areas while very low quality others, the budget restrictions are palpable.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bravely Default 2.

It's a shame because 1 and Second looked great on the 3DS.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Good lord. I thought you were making a joke.

I had to google it, that's the actual box cover. What in the phoning it in batman. That's like someone testing out their new iPad's painting capabilities.
Yeah in Sword they had to shift the logo to the right a bit so it wouldn't be in the way for the Parental Warning logos.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think almost any game that tries to capture a 2D art style in 3D fails miserably aside from those guilty gear games where they had to do all kinds of crazy shit to achieve it. Cel shading is fine (jet set radio etc) but specifically trying to capture a cartoon or anime always looks weird to me (ni no kuni, Naruto, old Simpsons games etc)

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Probably Jump Force. People like to throw around the term "asset store game" for whatever they don't like the look of but Jump Force truly looks like a game made primarily using assets with conflicting styles and shading.

Jump Force looks so bad it completely put me off from playing. It's just... ugh.

Someone else mentioned it, but Bloodstained isn't great either. Still, I love Igavanias too much to have passed on it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

uIAV4z.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Gen 7 piss filter in full effect. If it isn't desaturated, yellow and bloomy it wasn't on the 360/PS3. Lol