• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 25, 2018
Horrendous is probably too strong a word but I definitely didn't enjoy looking at Monster Hunter Rise in portable mode.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Minecraft. The ray tracing did wonders for the game, but I just hate the blocky look. Specially the characters.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Minecraft. The ray tracing did wonders for the game, but I just hate the blocky look. Specially the characters.

I agree. I think the basic premise of the game is neat, but I just can't get past the graphics. The world and characters just don't appeal to me at all.

I guess 200 million or so people would disagree though, haha.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Jump Force. People like to throw around the term "asset store game" for whatever they don't like the look of but Jump Force truly looks like a game made primarily using assets with conflicting styles and shading.
Jump force looks like a "Nintendo, Hire this man!" unreal engine zelda video

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That mobile phone game that is so crazy popular on Twitch and got so many GOTY awards (even though it apparently didn't even first release this year?)... I just checked, Among Us it is called.

Oh, also Bleeding Edge. It looked always like an ugly, edgy Overwatch to me. I have no idea why they made characters so unpleasant looking. Isn't the popularity of those games also dependend on the players liking the characters/being attracted by the characters?

capsule_616x353.jpg

Contra: Rogue Corps.

If Konami wants to do more shit like this, please don't bother. Just let a company like M2 make collections and at least preserve the old shit that was good properly for the future.

Yikes, this is really unpleasant to look at. Especially at the end when they do a little trailer/gameplay montage and zoom in on characters. D:

Last edited:

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
I haaaaate how the Nioh games look, even though I love how they play. Can't really explain it, just ugly as hell, especially in darker levels

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I said this to another group of people today but the art direction in balan wonderland gives me the strongest impression that everyone in that universe would have the skin texture of an overfilled basketball.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Contra: Rogue Corps is one of the worst looking games I've ever seen and I'm pretty sure it runs at like 480p even on Series X. It's unbelievably bad.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5.

I hated the art style in the first one, I hate it in the current one. That sort of Epic Games art style needs to die in a fire.

Now that I mention it, Godfall has that same kind of art style; that shit should burn too.

DasFool

Oct 25, 2017
There are few games I'd describe as looking horrendous, but that is how I feel about the mobile/PC port of Final Fantasy VI

htpH6yh.jpg

Holy shit is it this. The character sprites look like they've passed through 20 filters, on top of a weirdly muted color palette, ON TOP OF it appearing as though each element on screen (characters, enemies, backgrounds, HUD) had a different artist work on them. Seriously, nothing in that image looks like it has any cohesion with anything else. Such a shame considering FFVI is one of the best looking SNES games.

Deleted member 75954

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jul 24, 2020
I'm probably gonna get shit for this but Rayman Legends character design is so barf-inducing ugly it ruins the pretty backdrops.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Fallout: New Vegas

Just started last weekend and I'm honestly surprised at how *bad* this game looks every time I boot it up.

And this is after I'm using texture packs, face enhancer mods, and juttering fixes. Even so it's one of the ugliest games I think I've ever played, I can't imagine 360/PS3 players playing an even muddier game.

It doesn't help that the game's setting is in the middle of the Mojave 200 years after the nuclear holocaust. Just an endless span of dull browns smattered with the occasional asset drop.

If it sounds like I'm being a downer, its honestly because the game's visuals are hampering my enjoyment. There's nothing worth seeing so far (minus the Legion's atrocities in Nipton), and that really dulls a sense of discovery or adventure.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night has some pretty ugly assets and models.

It took me a while to get into that game, partially cause I don't love Symphony of the Night and partially cause of the look.

Eventually I got into it and loved it, but man those models and animations (the main character's run animation always seemed so slidey and weird) are rough.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Bravely Default 2. I'm normally pretty lenient with art style, but if there's one game I saw the trailer for and thought "I can't play this", it's BD2. That DS-3DS era chibi style cuz "not enough power to render proper characters" looks bloody awful in HD lmao.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
That mobile phone game that is so crazy popular on Twitch and got so many GOTY awards (even though it apparently didn't even first release this year?)... I just checked, Among Us it is called.

Oh, also Bleeding Edge. It looked always like an ugly, edgy Overwatch to me. I have no idea why they made characters so unpleasant looking. Isn't the popularity of those games also dependend on the players liking the characters/being attracted by the characters?

capsule_616x353.jpg

Yikes, this is really unpleasant to look at. Especially at the end when they do a little trailer/gameplay montage and zoom in on characters. D:

if you think it looks bad, it plays worse than it looks. Theres a horrendous amount of input lag in the game to where it feels like youre playing a delay based fighter online with 200+ ping.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Tales of Berseria/Vesperia's put me off. I don't generally mind Anime, like I didn't mind DQ11's and am playing through Cold Steel 3 and I don't mind it, but I recall feeling repelled (repulsed?) when I first played (and finished) Berseria.

Also, Dishonored's character models weird me out, even if those two are two of my favorite games ever. (guess it helps that am usually behind someone when I'm up close!).

Oct 25, 2017
Binding of Isaac. Still the game I wanted to like but utterly *loathed* the entire look of. I can't put into words how much I hate it.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
King of Fighters XIV . I didn't play or even watch tourneys because of how terrible I thought the game looked and I am in no way a difficult person to please when it comes to visuals

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's not horrendous, but I saw this topic and immediately thought of KoF XV.......

*runs away*

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Lawbreakers and that god awefull Radical Heights, all from the same guy before it all went to shit lol.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I think if everyone went and downloaded Balan Wonderworld right now we could close the thread and be done with it all. That's the definitive answer.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
There's a couple of like indie games, can't recall the names, but they had cool concepts but god awful graphics.

Link's Awakening remake was a travesty against a GOAT title

I almost didn't buy Immortals based on the character models, but they look a lot better in game thankfully