• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
The last one was probably Red Dead Redemption 2. I was expecting it to be good, but I went in expecting it to fall short of the first because of how amazing John and his story was. I didn't realize that over the next 87ish hours I would fall in love with Arthur and his surrounding cast, and just constantly think about him and his journey.

I played a string of amazing, life changing games back at that same time. Breath of the Wild, God of War 2018, and Red Dead Redemption 2. I was constantly telling myself how amazing they were as I experienced them, and nothing since then has grabbed me even remotely like they did.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Hades for sure. As a first time player, I also felt that about FF7R.
Oh man, I may have to check that out when it comes to Xbox. (I wonder if, given that all the FF seems to be on GamePass, FF7R will be included when it arrives as well?)

I really only played the OG FF and FFII/IV back when they were on the NES/SNES. That said, part of me just wants to binge the whole thing in ten years once they finish the entire game. (Although that didn't work out will with KRO.)

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Hollow Knight yesterday and I am in the process of doing all the post-game stuff.

It's one of the best games ever made.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
The last game I truly felt that way was God of War (2018)

I was just floored about how they really gave this franchise a true facelift and was just blown away by all of it. Hell of a game to have next to a near media blackout over.

And I just loved the narrative of a guy like Cory Barlog just coming back to the company he once worked for and just rolled up his sleeves and took it to new heights. Watching that live reaction of his own Metacritic score was awesome.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I played Outer Wilds and Control in the last few months for the first time and both are probably top 10 games of this gen for me.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Rabi-Ribi (Switch)

My first playthough I didn't look up or know about any of the hidden techniques, but the core Metroidvania-like gameplay and the surprisingly good narrative hooked me.

Then I found out about the hidden techniques and how it lets you utterly sequence break the hell out of the game (and said achievements you can get for doing so). Replayed it a bunch of times thanks to that, since there's endless ways you can do a NG+ run (and the game records said loops so there's an incentive to do so).

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
HL: Alyx
I still can't believe all the little touches like the fizzy drinks that actually behave and look right and the endless fun with physics. I even play headcrab matador and see how long I can play with a monster without shooting it. It's amazing. I hope Valve makes more games in this universe.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Thronebreaker

It just scratched every itch for me. Great strategic gameplay and card management, fantastic art, and a fun and interesting story with challenging choices.

AkaiShiki

Dec 28, 2019
Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward
Did Final steps of faith last week... People who did this fight will understand.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I manage to play 3 fantastic games last year amazingly enough.

Hades, fantastic game alright, unique and fun to boot. Love they way they did their story in a rougelikes

the first Ace Attorney is also there. Tho is does drag near the end, it still is a wonderful game

Xenoblade Definitive Edition. Felt like a classic JRPG from the PS1 era. Great music, looked beautiful and didn't have a convoluted story for a JRPG. Plus party member were enjoyable. Sometimes JRPG struggle to with that. Combat is enjoyable once you get further into the game tho if you're even a bit over level it sucks the fun out the game.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Lots and lots of games in the last 5 years or so. Too many to list all of them.

Most recent ones:
I'm still not finished with Cyberpunk 2077, for me it is a fantastic game, even if it's a mess.
My replay of Alien Isolation made me realise that it is a masterpiece.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Replayed Halo 3 last week and thought, yep, still the best Halo. It's sad how no Halo after 3 reached the same highs again.

It's the perfect cap to the best FPS trilogy.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest 11 on Game Pass, game blew all my super low expectations away. Granted, there were some obvious shortfalls and questionable things the way they dealt with Jades's character, overall I loved it.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Hades. Was constantly in awe of this game. The amount of attention to detail that went into this, the way it looks and plays. You can tell the devs put everything they had into it, and it paid off.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Hollow Knight, but I played it just last year on Switch.

Other recent ones are BotW, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, Spider Man, Enter the Gungeon.

Probably others too.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
FF7R was the most recent, played it back in December right before the Sephiroth Smash reveal trailer haha.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy 8 with x3 speed on. 100% serious. I kind of hated this game before and dreaded replaying it and other old RPGs but this feature alone is just great.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Astro Bot Rescue Mission (Playroom was good but Rescue Mission is fantastic)

Outer Wilds and Yakuza 6 are close runners-up though

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Replayed BOTW and currently RDR2, and it's only hardened my feelings that these are two of my top 5, absolutely sublime experiences.

I played the Outer Wilds for the first time and that made me feel like a kid playing the Atari ST with no idea how any game worked, it was really on another level for me. This has been an amazing generation, it's crazy to me that games are still getting better and better.

Oct 29, 2017
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light

So ridiculously ahead of its time! And actually more entertaining than most modern FE games!

Nov 26, 2019
Demon's Souls remake and Mortal Kombat 11. Demon's Souls in a hall-of-fame, best of the medium kinda way, and Mortal Kombat 11 in an indulgent, having some kicks slapping fools around kinda way.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
I played both If Found... and Sayonara Wild Hearts for the first time this weekend, so that's twice in the last week.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Control.

I originally played a few hours of Control on the PS4 Pro, and found myself not enjoying it as much as I thought I would, which was surprising for me because I'm a pretty big Remedy fan. Fast forward about a year where I decided to give it another shot on PC after getting a new video card, and what a night and day difference that made.

What a beautiful, unique take on a Metroidvania. The story is kind of whatever, but the lore and gameplay are both so damn good. Also, the Oldest House is one of my favorite locations in a video game.

And about a week before that, Yakuza Like A Dragon. It wasn't surprising that I'd like it, but I did not expect to consider it one of my favorite JRPGs ever.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Dishonored 2 right now and that's exactly what I'm feeling. Though I wish I was better at the game. I want to sneak around undetected and knock out everyone non-lethal - but it's not happening. One person sees me and in 10 seconds the entire god damn town in charging towards me.

Last year I finished RDR2 and TLOU2 and they were both once in a lifetime experiences. Moved me very deeply.

Last edited: