• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Probably Hades. I went back to it a few weeks ago to unlock the epilogue and more of the relationship/bond conversations. I don't know that I've ever liked the cast of any game more than I like Supergiant's take on the Greek pantheon.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
The last as in discounting replaying a game right now I guess?

Probably Ys 8 last year. Game is fucking dope.

Edit: The last as in the literal last? FE3H, playing right now.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I feel like I say this every couple of days but I discovered Dragon Quest 11 recently and it is absolutely one of the best games I've ever played.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Slightly off topic, but if you know how to curate, there are some truly good games to play. Last year I also played Gears Tactics and Disco Elysium, and they were very good.

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that uncommon for me to think to myself, "whoa this is pretty cool!" But I am old and jaded now, so I think the last time I had a moment that really recaptured the joy and wonder of playing video games for the first time was Astro Bot (the VR one). There are a few setpieces that are just breathtakingly well done.

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
Recently, in order of playthrough

Return of the Obra Dinn, Doom Eternal, Outer Wilds, Death Stranding

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Loving it. I wasn't expecting much but the writing and voice acting is amazing.

playing this now, &, while enjoying it, wasn't really experiencing anything i'd've describe as 'truly fantastic'...

then i got to the business management mini-game. 'shareholder meetings' combat?! featuring boss fights?! i mean, how is this not 'truly fantastic'?...

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Rdr2 recently.. back then dark souls especially when I went to blighttown and lost izalith. Dark souls did what chrono trigger did in past. It was revolutionary in every sense. I feel like I was on a dark adventure during my first playthrough. I took 2 days off just to clear anor londo area. I wish I could get this experience again in my life.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 7, a return to form, and done from a new perspective (which only recently found was the original plan for RE1), never felt so happy to take a risky purchase on a Resident Evil game after shit show 6, just absolutely buzzing with happiness when the credits rolled.

Before that would have been Bloodborne, opened my eyes (hehe) to this whole new gameplay and visual style I always wanted but did'nt know this game was the game to have it.

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
Paper Beast VR - truly a unique experience of a game.

iu

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Mario Galaxy 2?

There's probably a newer one but I think I'm harder to impress than most people.

I guess I can say back in 2009 I was going through the... "Why don't I enjoy games as much as I used to?" phase and was ready to accept that maybe I was just getting older and games maybe were moving past me
then I played Metroid Prime Trilogy and it saved me.

What a truly great game(s)

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
Hades. Just a game I couldn't put down. Everything just WORKS and makes SENSE

Before that, TLOU2. For the same exact reasons. Gameplay in that game is incredible.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Half Life Alyx does that Valve thing again where halfway through playing one of their games, you want it to be required curriculum for people to play it, it's just so good at what it does.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Satisfactory in early 2020. The only game I played in 2020 that I would give 5 stars, otherwise it was a pretty weak year for me.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Miles Morales which was just after another, Astro Bot.

Those two games were a great welcome to the new generation.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Death Stranding PC port and a lot of VR games I've played last year(Half Life Alyx, Superhot VR, Beat Saber, Sariento)Though i did play DMC5SE recently and it reminded me how fantastic the game was especially now with Vergil.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild, don't think I'll ever tire of just wandering around it's map, they basically put all their eggs in the basket of making the simple act of exploration fun/relaxing and they absolutely nailed it.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Outer Wilds, last Christmas. Probably the best game I've ever played.

And before that, Obra Dinn.

And before that, Steamworld Heist.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
I've had moments of this in Yakuza: Like a Dragon, but I don't think it's been as consistently at that level as 0, which I played back in October. That's just a pure, all out video game, while Like a Dragon unfortunately gets bogged down in level grinding at times.