• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I started playing CrossCode, and it has 4 back to back tutorials. Puzzles, combat, lectures about town stuff, and even optional tutorials inside the mandatory tutorials. This game is like the Inception of tutorials.

I like the gameplay, but the front-loading of all the info is a bit too much. A lot of games introduce you to their systems over the first few hours, but they do it sneakily, so your brain thinks you're playing the game instead of the tutorial. Unfortunately, CrossCode's tutorials are very obviously tutorials. Made me feel more like I was reading a book than playing a game, since I had little control over where I went and what I did.

I'm sure the game will open up soon and be awesome, but I do wish they had done this better.

So what's the largest/longest tutorials you have found in a game?

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
Under night in-birth is pretty long and robust if you include character challenges.

Favio Bolo

Banned
Aug 17, 2020
probably not the highest number but i laughed at a tutorial screen popping up when i was at like 80% of my xenoblade 2 playthrough

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest Builders 2 was dropping new tutorial content more than 2 dozen hours into the game.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't one of the Xenoblade game throw tutorials at you even when you're like 40 hours into it?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
This game drops a tutorial like a flight sim manual; 179 lessons

DlKnMewW0AgSUiR

Oe3Hb1Wx_rC9dp82.jpg

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Avengers has a weird way of teaching you how to do things you've already had to have been doing for the previous 2-3 hours. It may not be a lot in amount, but it makes zero sense into how they are utilized and conveyed. There should be a "Yes, I have played a game in the last 10 years" option to avoid all of them haha.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of the constant repeated tutorial messages in your typical Zelda game.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
I was just playing Tales of Graces F for the first time, and in the final dungeon I got a tutorial screen. Turns out I hadn't been hit by a specific status ailment the entire game, and the first time you get hit with any one, you get a tutorial screen explaining what it was.

This was like 5 rooms before the final boss.

Oh, also obligatory mention of Infamous Second Son:

The final boss is literally a tutorial fight, because you get a new power set just for that fight.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade. All of them. Constantly popping up with tutorials for at least the first few hours, and still occasionally throwing tutorials at you late in the game.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
probably not the highest number but i laughed at a tutorial screen popping up when i was at like 80% of my xenoblade 2 playthrough
Doesn't one of the Xenoblade game throw tutorials at you even when you're like 40 hours into it?

I was also thinking of Xenoblade 2...but I do think those are just really spaced out to give you time to learn the battle system piece by piece. Probably far too spaced out, but I'm guessing that's the intent?

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I'm glad Under Night In Birth has already been posted; loooooads of tutorials. Absolutely excellent fun and very informative though.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the modern tales games are usally frontloaded with tons of turorials trying to explain how bullshit/convuted their new battle system is

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Ni No Kuni is one egregious example with overabundance of tutorials and Drippy giving you tips in combat well beyond the point you should already know them. There should be a point when the tutorials need to stop and the player should allowed to play unhindered or be allowed to make mistakes to learn by trial and error. The fact they persist well into the end game where tutorials should no longer matter is a serious problem.

Drippy interrupting you and doing the "How you how to defend against a boss special" during the final boss was a bit too much. Yes, this is actually a thing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I think I would like to mention Hades by Supergiant games here as an example of tutorials done well. The game has tons of complexity, but drip feeds it to you through gameplay. From the very first moment, I felt like I was playing the game. Nothing felt like a tutorial. So kudos to them. I'm sure it wasn't easy.

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
Avengers has a weird way of teaching you how to do things you've already had to have been doing for the previous 2-3 hours. It may not be a lot in amount, but it makes zero sense into how they are utilized and conveyed. There should be a "Yes, I have played a game in the last 10 years" option to avoid all of them haha.
Ya this, I'm enjoying Avengers but it's pretty insane how many small tutorial pop ups there are. Like every character has perfect dodge with B why does a thing need to pop up each time I use a new character.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
It's been a while, but from what I remembered Final Fantasy 13 was a tutorial until the last 3 or so chapters.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all of Mario and Luigi Dream Team is a tutorial.

Pokemon Sun and Moon too, the amount of tutorials in that game especially early in the game made me drop it.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I remember thinking "just let me play the damn thing" when starting Doom Eternal for the first time.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I stopped playing Skyward Sword before the tutorials stopped.

AC3 is also horrendous.

ctc43f

Aug 1, 2020
Ring Fit Adventure. EVERY TIME you get ready to do an exercise it reminds you how to do the exercise. Granted, part of the time is probably recalibrate the joy-con but after the game reminds you for the 3,000th time how to do an Ab Guard it gets old.