• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hardest mainline Zelda?

• Zelda (NES)

Votes: 28 6.1%
  • Zelda II

Votes: 339 73.5%
  • Links Awakening

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Link to the Past

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 30 6.5%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 2 0.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the ones I've played, right now it is hands down Links Awakening Hard Mode on the Switch. I've been getting my ass handed to me over and over again.

I have no idea how many times I've died but it's been quite a few and I only just got the power bracelet.

next hardest if not the hardest is probably Zelda II but I don't think I'll ever touch it again, let alone beat it.

Easiest is probably Wind Waker or Twilight Princess.

What about for you Era?

(I tried to put the most difficult games in the poll)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mmmm, it's gotta be 1 or 2. Probably 2 but I'm gonna vote for 1

The real answer is Zelda's Adventure though

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda 2, primarily because its combat system was super messy and you could really only reliably beat it by exploiting glitches and design flaws.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Of these the order is : Zelda 2 > Zelda 1 > ALTTP > BOTW > MM > LA

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I have more trouble with 1 than 2 mainly due to the more limited controls of 1. Both are quite challenging, but fair imo.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Zelda 2. The mechanics were hard enough, but trying to figure out WTF to do as a 7-year-old before the age of the internet made it damn near impossible.

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
It's Zelda II. The later dungeons are near impossible to navigate (three cheers for jumping down some random pit), let alone on a limited number of lives. Also, ubiquitous actual pitfalls assure constant danger of cheap deaths.

Also, Death Mountain.

Edit: To this day, Zelda II remains the only Zelda game I've not beaten without resorting to save states.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Links awakening hero mode is heavily tilted towards being more difficult towards the start than the end. Moldorm is probably the peak of the games difficultly in combat, even on regular difficultly because you've basically got very little access to the things that make the game easier (Heart pieces, fairies in the remake, the revive potion).

Zelda 1 and 2 are definitely the hardest in the default difficulties.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda 2, although it is not unfairly difficult. There is only one unfair enemy in the whole game - the dark red Dariya's that throw axes. Every other enemy has a pattern you can follow to beat them with minimal/no damage. One of my fave games of all time. I've played it so much over the years I can beat it with extreme ease these days

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
BOTW Master Mode. Trial of the sword is something dull and unforgiving (and i find Zelda 2 not difficult)

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Zelda 2. Zelda 1 is only hard if you don't have a guide or know where things are/where the secrets are, especially in the final dungeon in the first quest or pretty much the entire second quest. The actual combat isn't that bad.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Majora's is obtuse, but if you follow a guide or whatever, it's not that hard of a game. Zelda 2 is way more obtuse and hard as fuck.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
BotW Master Mode leaves the least margin for error throughout the game. You're constantly outgunned unless you stock up and upgrade early on. I'm sure the difficulty flattens our a bit later on, but I'm still hitting walls and one-shots all over the place despite demolishing most of the base game.

after that, definitely the NES games. Zelda II isn't as unmanageably hard as its reputation suggests...until the endgame when shit gets crazy. But it's still way more punishing than most Zelda game.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
Then i'll add the final stage of 4 sword anniversary edition, and the solo stage time trial of Triforce Heroes

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW kicked my ass early on but by the halfway point you're basically indestructible, at least as long as you're not fighting a Lynel.

I guess I'll go with Link Between Worlds' Hero Mode.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild Master Mode makes certain aspects of the endgame absolutely unbeatable if you don't approach certain encounters -PERFECTLY-

Off the top of my head, both the rematch with the water boss and the Trial room with the three white Lizalfos on a single platform are unbeatable if you approach them incorrectly. One missed input sets you back a considerable amount of time and is punishing like no other game in the series.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild is quite difficult in the beginning of Master Mode, but after a few hours its easy enough.

I would guess Zelda 2 would be the hardest, but I haven't played much of it myself.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Zelda 2, although it is not unfairly difficult. There is only one unfair enemy in the whole game - the dark red Dariya's that throw axes. Every other enemy has a pattern you can follow to beat them with minimal/no damage. One of my fave games of all time. I've played it so much over the years I can beat it with extreme ease these days
I think everyone thinks of this enemy when voting Zelda 2.
BotW is easily the hardest. I wouldn't imagine doing a 3 heart run there.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda II is a brilliant game and the only one in the series that's close to what I'd call hard. Enough so that I've never beaten it without save states.

The rest have occasional challenge spikes but, taken as a whole, are pretty easy.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda 2 no contest and it is always the consensus choice when this question is asked

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I often find the difficulty of Zelda 2 greatly overstated. Like everyone views the difficulty as when they were 8 or something.

Oct 27, 2017
Easily Zelda 2. The original gets really tough in the final two temples but Zelda 2 is still much harder than that. Still need to play BOTW.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I played Zelda 2 on an emulator two years ago, it was easier than I remember. I did cheese the hell out of shadow link though.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
hqdefault.jpg

Though (mostly) not unfairly. Losing all your lives and having to trek back to places can be a pain, though - especially if you were on the verge of unlocking a shortcut...

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Zelda 2 is not that hard. Maybe because I've been playing that game since I was 8 and know where everything is. But the combat in that game is so good especially against iron Knuckles.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I often find the difficulty of Zelda 2 greatly overstated. Like everyone views the difficulty as when they were 8 or something.
I agree. The only difficult parts of Zelda 2 is the lead up to the final palace and the final palace and that's only if you're not careful with the enemies.

Hint

Apr 9, 2018
Zelda 2 is the most obvious answer, but for the more modern games its definitely Majora's Mask for me. I played the 3DS version after playing the original when it released and it was surprisingly difficult, especially in the beginning when you have less abilities. It would be far more difficult without any use of guide.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I put Zelda 2 and while it's not HARD.... it's simply unforgiving. Getting through Death Mountain to then have to get through the final dungeon... Oof. I save stated the crap out of that.

Even as kids, we put that game through a Game Genie.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Links awakening hero mode is heavily tilted towards being more difficult towards the start than the end. Moldorm is probably the peak of the games difficultly in combat, even on regular difficultly because you've basically got very little access to the things that make the game easier (Heart pieces, fairies in the remake, the revive potion).

Zelda 1 and 2 are definitely the hardest in the default difficulties.
Moldorm is generally known as Trolldorm. The true nightmare version of LTTP is one hit death, 2x speed oops all Moldorm

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
Some good responses here, and Zelda 2 is NES Hard, but there's an extra layer of difficulty that made Skyward Sword the hardest Zelda game to play.

Wiimote-with-Motionplus-Attach.jpg

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Zelda 2 and it's not even close. Anyone who votes anything else has never played Zelda 2 to completion.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Always struggled with ALTTP, in fact I don't think I've completed it. Usually get halfway through the dungeons in the Dark World, get stuck and give up.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who doesn't say Zelda 2 simply hasn't played Zelda 2.

I've beaten it probably 20 times. Hell, maybe more. It was hard-ish when it first came out, and I was a teenager. Even then, it was not nearly as difficult as many, or even most, NES games. Now I can zip through it even faster than Zelda 1, in just a few hours.

It's still a contender for hardest Zelda, though, because all Zelda games are on the easy side.

But I'm going to say that Majora's Mask is my pick for hardest, especially due to that goddamn fish boss. That bastard had me throwing my controller in frustration. The only other Zelda game that had a boss that gave me significant trouble was Skyward Sword, and those were because the motion controls were finicky.

And outside of mechanical gameplay difficulty, I recall both Link's Awakening and the Oracle games giving me trouble with some of their dungeon puzzles, though they're now vague since I've only beaten LA twice and the Oracle games once each.