• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
  1. Trying to pre-order a PlayStation 5
  2. Orphan of Kos on my own after New Game+...
tumblr_om18h0V6wF1sarywjo1_500.gif

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I'm not sure but I think it was evil ryu in street fighter zero 3

Maybe it would be much easier nowadays

If not that some souls boss... Pick one

Hercamer

Sep 15, 2020
Dallas
I started reading this thread last.night and it swamped me with an unexpected tidal wave of nostalgia. The Four Horseman, Nax40 before the pre-BC patch in the fall of 2006 separated the wheat from the chaff globally. I think less than 80 groups cleared the raid before the patch worldwide and only about 150 total before BC. It's hard to express how much downing them meant to us. I'm still proud.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a website that ranks boss difficulty? Like time to finish but for how hard bosses are?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
One of the hardest I can remember was the last boss of Metroid Samus Returns.

I was so close in just stopping the game and watching the last scenes on YouTube, I can't remember another boss that made me this angry and I basically played it all including all Souls games. 😅

But I did it in the end.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Oh! I'm not sure if she's the hardest, but one of the hardest bosses was the locust queen on insane difficulty with friends. We played for hours trying to knock that grub back down to the dirt. I ended up doing it by myself, and maybe once again with a single friend? So incredibly hard and frustrating.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I never actually beat the final boss of Mario and Luigi after like 50 attempts. Huge blue balls to not get to beat the game after getting so far. Gonna have to replay that game some day and conquer it. I'd put that one as harder than all the Dark Souls and Bloodborne bosses, plus RAAM on Insane which I've done

Nov 19, 2019
Does this part from Drakegard 3 count? It was easily the most grueling boss from any game I've ever played, I'm convinced it was designed to be as bad as it is on purpose.

For the uninitiated, it's a rhythm game style boss fight that's 7 minutes long in a non-rhythm game with no obvious timing indicators and very narrow timing windows that you can only miss a couple notes on to fail and redo the whole thing, and the kicker is they throw invisible notes at you at the end when the screen goes black and you think you've won.

Giving up on this boss is one of my great shames in gaming. But I mean...c'mon.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
There were some WoW bosses that took my guild multiple weeks of reclears and wiping for hours adding up to days to get. Like M'uru and Kael'Thas in BC come to mind. There were many more over the years, but those two in particular are memorable.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Magneto from Wolverine's revenge (PS2). I don't remember any bosses from the Souls games or BB/Sekiro giving me this much trouble!

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Classic bosses, by generation:
- seven force, Alien Soldier (MD). Loooong fight in a game in which you die in the blink of an eye.
- piranha challenge, wipeout 2097 (psx). A hard race in a dark circuit in a psx-frame rate racer.
- final boss, ninja gaiden (xbox). Alma has the fame, but this dude can be so annoying.
- artorias, dark souls (xbox360). This dude wiped the floor with me for a good couple of days.
- ludwig, bloodborne (ps4). Orphan of kos is frantic, but at least you can follow his movements, this bitch just randomly decides to fuck off to the ceiling.
- leechmonger, demons souls (ps5). It's a joke of a boss but so far is the only one who has managed to hurt me of the ones I've fought.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Beating Vergil 3 on DMD mode in DMC3 without using items was a tough one. Want to eventually get a no damage run.

Lingering Will in KH2FM at level 1 on Critical mode as well. The satisfaction of slowly getting more damage in until I won was worth it.

While not a boss, the final wave of Nobodies in Cavern of Remembrance on level 1 Critical was intense as well. A lot of variables on that long wave and a single mistake can kill you quickly.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Probably Ludvig in Bloodborne DLC or Abyss Watchers in Dark Souls 3. Idk if those are even really hard but they were brutally hard for me to solo.

Aug 10, 2019
Probably a tie between Owl 2 and Sword saint in Sekiro.

Radec in KZ2 in elite was also a bit difficult.
Owl 2 can fucking two shot you from 1/2 way across the map! While sword Saint is no joke, Owl 2 was an impassable wall that made every other boss fight in existence seem like a cake walk by comparison.

Oh.. and fuck Snake Eyes Shirahagi too!

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Defiled Watchdog of the Old Lords from Bloodborne.

Had to relearn the entire combat system and took me over a week to beat it. But when I did, I perfected it. Not to mention I never strayed away from my Kirkhammer + Cannon build, keeping true to my gameplay style.
I ended up hating its hitbox SO much! And bloodborne had several terrifying bosses...defiled amygdala, headless motherfucker, abhorrent beast...yet the watchdog was pure pain.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Senator Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising. That fight is fucking bullshit because throughout the entire game I didn't have to use the slow mo chop accurately until this fight and that was if I got to this part on retries lol. I don't remember any other game with a boss this crazy.
Agreed. I still haven't beat him because of that - I miss the timing of the slices and the rubble hits me every time.

In fact, the auto-save is right before that part - if I boot it up, I'm right there...but I got so frustrated back then that I don't even care about beating him now🤷‍♂️
Oh...oh no...

That GTA:SA mission gave me fits - it's nearly impossible!

I came back to it several years later and beat it on my 2nd try.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
The only ones I could think of off the top of my head were Omega Rugal and Shin Akuma from Capcom vs SNK 2. They were hard, but unlocking them after beating them was so satisfying.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A no damage run on Senator Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising's Jetstream DLC. Probably took me 50 attempts. Sometimes his falcon punch would glitch out and he'd go around you in tight circles really fast, making the camera go beserk. At that point dodging is a matter of sheer luck. Was infuriating when that happened.
I did it though, still my proudest gaming achievement. =P

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Yeah, probably the Nameless King in Dark Souls 3. I had no idea you could summon other people for help and also for some reason didn't wear any lightning resistant armor. Probably took me a good 50-100 tries to finally beat this son of a bitch.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Does the test of strength from Star Fox Adventure count?

Cause that shit was fucking brutal as a kid. My fingers were so sore after this.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ive finished all soulsborne stuff but the one I remember most was lingering will on lv1 from KH2, for some reason.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
161ecc59ff1bca598d9dac0de8a971f79f175602.gifv

Best bossfight of the generation imo, took me more time than Sekiro's final boss. Sekiro's final boss would be the 2nd hardest for me.

0x03

Oct 25, 2017
Smough/Ornstein were difficult, but when I finally beat them I felt like I had leveled up.

Kalameet was legitimately frustrating and I think the fact that I eventually beat him had as much to do with luck as it did skill.