• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Been playing videogames for 30 years and it's easily

Sword Saint Isshin from Sekiro. For reference I've handily beaten all Souls games without issue.

Nov 17, 2017
Telethia the Endbringer in Xenoblade X. I think I was fighting it for 30 to 40 minutes. Of course, if you take the time to grind the best gear and use the most meta stuff in the game you can make short work of it but I did it with a party member (instead of the avatar which is much stronger than any of the party members) and on foot (so outside the giant mech you get).

latest

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
All the examples I can think of are from this gen, we've been spoiled for boss fights.

Yozora from Kingdom Hearts 3 Remind.

Nameless King from Dark Souls 3.

A whole bunch from Sekiro.

Nightmare King Grimm from Hollow Knight.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
From Sekiro, Demon of Hatred took me a long time and as far as I know is the boss I've struggled with the most in my life.

The Valkyrie Queen in God of War also took some time.

No bosses come close to those, besides the final boss of Sekiro. But the two from Sekiro had me re-evaluate myself lol cause I hadn't really struggled with the game and the FromSoft games I'd played up to that point (Bloodborne and Dark Souls III) beating many of the bosses on my first try. Felt like the game saying "Nah man, you ain't shit".

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Pterodractyl is a hell of a thing, having to use those moving platforms to get up to Drac's weak point while ensuring you don't get hit or fall down the pit is a learning process exasperated by having to keep replaying that dang last stage every time you game over.
Fortunately if you play the japanese version of Vania 3 on the collection it gives you a continue point at the staircase to Dracula.
I'm not sure there's a tougher Castlevania boss off the top of my head, some might cite Dracula X's pit filled Dracula fight but you can safely avoid most attacks with one safe spot (though I'm sure some would say you can bring Sypha with the electric magic to Dracula phase 3 in CV3 and cheese him that way)

I feel like it's pretty hard not to immediately think of one of From Software's uber bosses, having fought them all except Darklurker and whatever lied at the end of reindeer hell in DS2 it's probably a combo of
- Lawrence in Bloodborne
- Sister Friede in DS3
- Father Owl in Sekiro
These ones were my main beefs of the From collection with an HM to orphan of Kos

Nightmare King Grimm from Hollow Knight is a good shout as well, I'm still not sure how I pulled that one off, I just slipped into the zone and somehow managed to weave through Grimm's fast paced attacks and projectile hellscape. To think there's all those super amped up bosses in that final DLC including even more greasy Grimm, no thank you!

I'd like to add something unique that hasn't been said already but it's pretty hard between the modern Masocore games (thanks Nioh devs) and NES hard titles
Actually I just remembered a Dracula arguably tougher than CV3, that git from Circle of the Moon, what a difficulty spike and a real middle finger to my lack of good card drops.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
No love for the secret boss in the Kingdom Hearts III DLC? Like Sword Saint Isshin, it's all about learning every attack pattern and flawless execution for 20 minutes. Unlike Isshin, there is (AFAIK) no cheese method (unless playing on lower difficulties).

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Does this part from Drakegard 3 count? It was easily the most grueling boss from any game I've ever played, I'm convinced it was designed to be as bad as it is on purpose.

For the uninitiated, it's a rhythm game style boss fight that's 7 minutes long in a non-rhythm game with no obvious timing indicators and very narrow timing windows that you can only miss a couple notes on to fail and redo the whole thing, and the kicker is they throw invisible notes at you at the end when the screen goes black and you think you've won.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
After completing the other FromSoft games, Sekiro killed my will. I just never got a handle on the gameplay and gave up.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I've probably spend the most time on Sekiro's final boss, 3-4 hours total. I don't really consider him that hard now (once you learn him he doesn't really stay hard), but I can't think of one tougher for me at the moment.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Laurence, the first Vicar for me.

The only souls boss where I really started to feel a sense of despair, like I really just couldn't do it.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Hollow Knight's Nightmare King Grimm

I admitted defeat with some of the stuff they added with Godmaster though.

I've also beat Midir and Nameless King but for some reason I don't remember those being quite as white-knuckle.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Ikaruga's final boss probably, although via credit feeding.

Not including credit feeding, maybe senator Armstrong on whatever the second highest difficulty was.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yozora on critical Kingdom Hearts 3 would probably easily take it for me. Easily shits on any other boss I can think of difficulty wise including the past KH super bosses.

Probably the clearest example of me going from "I legimately don't think this fight is beatable" to "I think I can do this".

Such a good feeling when I got him.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
First one that came to mind was the headless bloodletting beast from the Bloodborne defiled chalice dungeon. Reading various threads about this boss makes it sound easy, but this was my first Souls game, I didn't understand yet how to hold the controller effectively w/o lock-on, and having to deal w/ half health made this a huge, huge pain.

Last boss in Xenoblade Chronicles also nearly made me snap my 3DS cartridge in half, but I took a breather, leveled up a bit, and learned how to play Melia effectively. Then it became much easier. But before that... dang. This was also my first time playing a game like this where you kinda had that DPS/tank/support thing going, and I probably rushed too much through the game's latter half. Not having played any MMOs, etc. made concepts like this really foreign!

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Nightmare King Grimm in Hollow Knight comes to mind. Beating him made me feel really proud of myself. He's just an unpredictable monster and with every single hit doing two points of damage, every hit is like a huge blow against your progress.

Honorable mentions:

Darkeater Midir (DS3)
Sister Friede (DS3)
Fume Knight (DS2)
Sir Alonne (DS2)
Demon of Hatred (Sekiro)
Father Owl (Sekiro)
Orphan of Kos (Bloodborne)

Weirdly enough, I had no issues beating Sword Saint Isshin on any of my playthroughs. I think that by that time I had such a grasp on the gameplay, that I kinda just instinctively knew what to do.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I just remembered a real piece of shit
x1080

Sure it looks just like any other Wily Capsule, but the MM7 Wily Capsule is one big joke at the player's expense that I swear is built around the idea of chugging E Tanks as homing elemental attacks hound your very existence , not at all satisfying to beat this one as a result, it's like fighting cheese with cheese.

But in any case Mega Man 7 can go do one, no wonder Mega Man was ready to actually blow Wily's head off this time

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Hard to say as most difficult bosses in gaming seem to have this sweet spot where I always beat them between 3-4 hours. I can count probably a dozen bosses that took about that long and almost none that took longer. I'd completely forgotten about it, but someone posted Vanquish Challenge 6 above with the Red and Blue fight. I remember that taking me about 4 days of solid attempts so it was probably closer to double the 3-4 hour mark. Might have to go with that.

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I just remembered a real piece of shit
x1080

Sure it looks just like any other Wily Capsule, but the MM7 Wily Capsule is one big joke at the player's expense that I swear is built around the idea of chugging E Tanks as homing elemental attacks hound your very existence , not at all satisfying to beat this one as a result, it's like fighting cheese with cheese.

But in any case Mega Man 7 can go do one, no wonder Mega Man was ready to actually blow Wily's head off this time
I really like MM& but this fight is one of the reasons I don't play it more often. Dodging his attacks is such a pain.

Tam o shanter

Jun 2, 2019
For me it's definitely Orphan of Kos from Bloodborne. I just have such a tough time with his aggression in phase 2. First time beating him took me two full days. Watchdog from the chalice dungeons was also pretty tough, but I think that's mostly due to the fact that the dungeon you fight it in halves your health. If that didn't happen, I doubt it would have been so difficult.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It was a tie between him and that bullshit huge dragon of DS2 actually, but one is cheap as fuck and the other is the best boss fight of the series.
Yeah, I don't really count that one as he is really simple and boring if you can bait him in a loop where you attack one of his toes, run back, evade his long range attack and repeat and impossible if you fight him otherwise as he will always oneshot you. Fuck the Ancient Dragon. Luckily they gave us an amazing dragon fight with Sinh.

Actually, now I think about it it's the same with DS1 and 3. DS1 has the Hellkite which is a bullshit that can oneshot you with 99 vitality and Seath which is a boring fight that's only hard if the curse procs and again oneshots you and then delivered an amazing dragon boss fight in the DLC and then DS3 has the wyvern fight which is also extremely underwhelming but then in the DLC gave us the best dragon boss in the series with Midir.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny reading entries and thinking "huh, beat that one in one try/easily" because you know there's someone thinking the same about the boss that almost made you give up on gaming.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Laurence, the first Vicar for me.

The only souls boss where I really started to feel a sense of despair, like I really just couldn't do it.
This is my pick as well. Straight up the hardest Souls boss. It took me a couple of days of trying on and off. He's cheap as fuck honestly. Possibly my least favorite fight.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny reading entries and thinking "huh, beat that one in one try/easily" because you know there's someone thinking the same about the boss that almost made you give up on gaming.
Basically all FROM Soft's games are like that haha. When I finally played Bloodborne earlier this year I was pretty much breezing through the game until I hit Ebrietas and in the DLC Kos & Laurence (by the way, fuck Laurence, what a stupid final phase). Yet a friend of mine had serious issues with a lot of bosses I just beat in one or two tries, but easily beat Ebrietas and was way faster with Orphan of Kos than I was.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Not my video but Evaccaneer DOOM just the other day because of the new port of Ketsui that's on PS4/5 (Ketsui Deathtiny). It's maybe the best port of the best shmup I've ever seen.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Probably the final boss of Otogi: Myth of Demons for the Xbox. I spent a good couple or three hours just trying to beat him.

I've fought harder bosses, like the final boss in R-TYPE, but I haven't beaten them without cheating.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Not a boss but i've survived Solidus Snake E-Extreme choke hold.
Kojima went too hardcore with the Substance edition tbh.
Not me obviously but doing that shit for more than 1 min destroys your arm, it's better than going to the gym.
https://youtu.be/HDvWQfr6jzU