• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How old were you when you played your first game

• 1-3

Votes: 115 29.9%
  • 4/5

Votes: 188 49.0%
  • 6/7

Votes: 65 16.9%
  • 8/9

Votes: 11 2.9%
  • 10-15

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 16+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

K444wsr

Oct 27, 2017
The 1st game I have memory of playing and can actually remember playing is Super Mario World on the SNES. We got it shortly after the UK launch, so 92 I think and I would've been about 7.

Having said that, the first game I ever played was Mr Heli on the commodore 64. I have no memory whatsoever but we've got a photo of me playing it when I would've been 4 or 5.

Feel blessed to come from a family of gamers šŸ˜Š

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
the opening screen of the first computer/video game i ever played:

zork-screen_5.jpg

Apr 3, 2020
1-3. Too young to remember.

but my brother used to tell me I liked to play The Super Dimension Fortress Macross on NES when I was at that age.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I was young enough that I don't have a concrete memory (2--3, I'm guessing), but based on what I can remember, it was probably this:

stByLVc.jpg

Would have been in the mid-80s sometime, and would definitely have predated us getting an NES.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Pong type game back in the 70s. First time i ever saw an arcade game was space invaders in a hotel lobby, played it for like a minute died and thought it was a rip off lol.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Not 100% certain, but two of the earliest gaming memories I have are playing Final Fight 2 and Street Fighter II on SNES. Had to be one of them.

OP
OP
TheRulingRing

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Interesting that the poll skews so young. Is it that people just don't get into videogames at a later age if they weren't already into them when young? Why is that the case when other hobbies don't have the same issue?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i have no idea how old i was, but it was Sneak'n Peek for the atari

the hide and seek game where one player hides and the other has to find them ... in the weirdest places like under a rug

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
First console game I ever owned was PokƩmon R/B, but played? Probably one of those old computer games like Brick Breaker, Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo, or Microsoft Golf.

Does anyone else remember Hunter Hunted?

Edit: I just remembered playing what must have been Super Mario Land for a couple minutes at a friend's house when I was even younger. What a blast from the past.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Probably 3 or 4. My dad had this handheld "basketball" game from Tiger or one of those electronics companies in the 80s. It had dots on it and you moved another dot around to set up a shot and either got awarded points or not and it counted down. The game made nos sense to me as a kid and no sense to me today. We got a working updated one for my dad within the last 5 years and my nephew knows how to play it but it still stumps me.

We got an NES in the late 80s, so I played a console probably at age 4 or so. But the first game was that basketball game.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just turned 3 or a little younger when I first tried Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt.

Oct 30, 2017
I was probably 5 at this time, and I remember playing either Super Mario Bros. on a bootleg system or this Mickey Mouse game on the Game Boy for the first time. The Mickey Mouse game had something to do with a magic wand you can make ice blocks with, but can't remember the title off the top of my head.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Some old DOS game I don't quite remember when I was 1-3.

I do remember playing Animal Quest back then, when I was like 3 or 4.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Age 2
Sega Mega Drive
Mortal Kombat
Button mashing vs my dad, one of my earliest memories
I would also watch my sister play Sonic and have drawings of scribbles resembling the boss fight against Robotnik at the end of Green Hill

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
I was 5, my parents' friend smuggled in an Atari 2600 from panama and I got to experience Enduro and River Raid for one afternoon.
My mind was blown.

Oct 25, 2017
My parents got me a 2600 for Christmas way back when. I'm not sure either I or they really knew what a game console was. They had probably seen it was the big toy that year. So something for that. Most likely Donkey Kong, Pong, or Combat.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
With me I think I was 6 or 7, so 1982. It was either a Commodore Vic-20 or a BBC Micro.

From 1986 I was addicted to Outrun in the local arcade and my first computer was a Amstrad CPC 464, Christmas 1987.

commodore-vic-20-box.jpg

Acorn-BBC-Micro-Computer-Model-B-with-USB.jpg

OutRun-side-art-fitted.jpg

Amstrad_CPC464.jpg

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It was on the Magnavox Odyssey 2 and it was a Pac-man clone that is all I remember I have no idea how old I was. I looked it up and the game was called K.C. Munchkin lol.

K.C._Munchkin_1982_Philips_US_screenshot.png

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The first one I remember playing is C64 GIana Sisters but I'm not 100% certain if that actually is. Might've been some other C64 game.

I really need to play that game through as an adult. I remember kind of liking it but I sucked at it so I'm not sure if I really got too far into the game.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
The earliest memory I have of a video game is playing Super Mario Bros. at my cousin's house. I think I was three at the time (could have been four). The main thing I remember is thinking the game was the most amazing thing ever.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I don't know if it was the very first game, but my earliest memory is playing I think what was a Mickey Mouse game on the NES at a family friend's house. I was probably 7 at the time and I think I only played it once.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Thinking I was 6 or 7 when I played my first game, and it was Kung Fu, that I distinctly remember. It was on the NES at a kids house whose parents were friends with my mom, it was just amazing, I fell in love instantly and my mom saw that and got me an NES later that year for Christmas, although it was the Mario/duck hunt pack which was even better.