• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
As soon as I started Cyberpunk on PS4 on PS5 on launch day, created my character, started the game in the garage in the desert and the graphics were already glitching out. Somehow I pushed though and finished the game even though I hated it ( and not just cuz of the bugs) and got a refund.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
You still supported all of those artists though and you liked many aspects of it. Not so bad imo
That's true, in that sense. But it was also the last time I'll ever support them because I just could not dislike and disagree with those games' design philosophy more as a game you (or specifically, I) play and enjoy.

But aside from Bloodborne...

Maybe the 2015 Star Wars Battlefront? I had a decent-ish time with friends for the first couple hours after the game came out and then never touched it again, because aside from a cool looking Star Wars shooter, it was more shallow than a puddle. Enjoyed Battlefront 2 a lot more, especially after patches and stuff toned down that game's microtransactions.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Final Fantasy XIII. It's where I parted ways with the series. There were some interesting mechanics in it, but other than that it was a travesty of a game. I never finished it despite really forcing me to keep playing for hours on end.

Apr 6, 2022
Star Wars Battlefront 2015, got the deluxe edition too. Paid 70 bucks for like 4 maps and no campaign. after updates it was complete but there wasn't much at launch.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Godfall. Before it even released. I just wanted something to play on ps5 and had already talked 2 others into getting it.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne, probably.

I LOVE everything about that game's world and story and art direction, but I very quickly learned I absolutely hated playing it. I got maybe an hour in before giving up forever.

Bloodborne would be my answer too. I didn't enjoy the challenge and playing the game was incredibly demoralizing. Somehow I still finished the game with a friend but can't say I had any fun at any point lol.

However, bought Elden Ring and completely fell in love with it. I have 200+ hours in that game and it's become on of my favourite games ever. I really can't explain it.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Most recently Diablo 2 Resurrected last year. Had no nostalgic connection to the game and found it to be janky and bug-riddled.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Bloodborne would be my answer too. I didn't enjoy the challenge and playing the game was incredibly demoralizing. Somehow I still finished the game with a friend but can't say I had any fun at any point lol.

However, bought Elden Ring and completely fell in love with it. I have 200+ hours in that game and it's become on of my favourite games ever. I really can't explain it.
I've known others who are the same way - I think the more open nature of Elden Ring reduced the amount of brick walls a person might run into, since there's more places you can go explore if a boss or location has you stuck.

Plus I think that game has other nice QOL features that make my dumb brain want to try it out, but I'm sure I'd get annoyed in time. I dunno. I just wish those games had a Discovery Mode so I could noclip around and see the enemies and environments without dying constantly :p

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I know it won't be a popular answer, but Elden Ring. I saw the previews and heard open world and more choose how you play and thought maybe it was more a game that I could get into (never really was interested in Dark Souls, too depressing looking being a main thing but also not a fan of linear games). I loved the idea that you learned story by bits and pieces even (that's what I love about a good Fallout dungeon... you get bits and pieces that get you curious and make you want to go further to learn the whole store).

Well... I got into it a little bit. But honestly the bits and pieces of story were far between and too cryptic that they didn't make me curious, they made me just go, uh, ok (and while added to the depressing atmosphere didn't really add at all to my understanding of the story). And while from previews it looked like an interesting world, getting into it, it just felt like that same dark/depressing feel I got from what little I saw of Dark Souls.

I easily drifted to just focusing on Horizon.

I may go back and try elden riing but honestly, the longer I don't play it, the less I care about trying it again. I have no idea if it is a good game or not. I just don't think it's my thing.

I should have waited until I could get it cheap. Or not bought it at all.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Red dead redemption 2. About thirty seconds after gaining control.

I regretted it and i didn't even buy it my wife did.

L337FOX

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando FL
BF2042

Battlefield 1 was such beautiful game with a buttery smooth framerate. I couldn't wait to play 2042.
Loaded up one single match and I was flooded with questions.
Why is my framerate in the dumpster? Why do these textures look like garbage? Why can't I create or modify squads? Where is the scoreboard?
Tinkered in the settings menu for maybe 20 mins, couldn't be fixed.

First game I've ever Steam refunded.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ace Combat Assault Horizon

especially because I had my pre order canceled, after it got clear the game really will become a Call of Duty with Airplanes..
for some reason I bought it anyways and dropped it after just a couple missions.

sakkeke

Oct 16, 2021
Finland
The Order: 1886. Yes, I bought this game a few days after the release and paid 60 euros for the physical copy. Easily the biggest and most imminent regret ever.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Most recently Pokemon Legends Arceus.
I thought it was exactly the kind of new pokemon game I wanted, but actually playing it... I don't know, it just wasnt what I wanted at the moment I guess.
Maybe if I can find it again on sale eventually I'll give it another try and I might be in the modd for it.

But my best answer is probably Red Faction Armageddon.
I absolutely LOVED RF: Guerrilla, it's one of my favorite 360/PS3 gen games, and I was so excited for a sequel that I preordered it as soon as I could.
Then I started playing it and it ended up being a mediocre linear shooter that actually discouraged you from destroying the environment because you can break stairs and shit you need to navigate through.
The open world building destruction was the whole reason the first game was so great, but instead they thought it would be fun to shoot at annoying aliens jumping all over the place and a magnet gun would be the new gimmick people would love.

cuboid

Mar 20, 2022
The GBA port of Sonic 1 they released the same year as Sonic 06. Never got a U.K. release so I bought an import copy and my god… nothing about that game worked. 10 FPS gameplay, broken collision detection, midi quality music… happy 15th anniversary Sonic! Only game I've ever returned (an hour later) and pleaded with the store on quality grounds.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Gran Turismo 7. I only bought it because I wanted the steelbook and generally limited editions are sold out relatively quickly.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Pac-Man Championship Edition 2. I don't buy many games at full price and when I do I have to be damn sure I'm gonna like them. Stuff like Elden Ring or Monster Hunter World. No regrets only hundreds of hours of fun. But I pre-ordered Pac-Man CE2 because the first game was so good. They had completely ruined it. I played it for half an hour and never touched it again.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
100% agree!! I read the same things about the game. Picked it up. Noticed the difficulty playing by myself and my 10 year old saw it and was essentially like "yeah I'm good".

How is Tiny Tina's with your kid though?? I picked that up and haven't tried it at all. Didn't even consider it being something my kid might like too!

He really likes it, both him and my daugther do. I haven't let them play Borderlands before because of the age rating and some of the content just isn't appropriate for kids. Tiny Tina's is still BL humor, but because it's rated T instead of M it's toned down a lot in the most questionable areas. I played a little bit of it before I decided if it would be ok for my son to play (my son is 7, daughter is 12 so I am more selective in what he is allowed to play). The most questionable material in Tiny Tina is some light swearing, and the violence but enemies don't gib in TT like the do in borderlands, so it's not as gruesome.

I'd say check out the first story mission and gauge wether you think it's something your kiddos could handle.

Jul 1, 2020
550x549.jpg

This fucking turd as a kid.
They did a GBC version of Quest 64? The protagonist looks exactly the same.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Medal of Honor: Warfighter. Modern military shooter campaigns are such a known quantity that you know what you're in for as soon as the controller is in your hands, there are no surprises worth hoping for if it's not good right from the start.

Jul 1, 2020
Medal of Honor: Warfighter. Modern military shooter campaigns are such a known quantity that you know what you're in for as soon as the controller is in your hands, there are no surprises worth hoping for if it's not good right from the start.
I bought the prequel to this game for full price only because it had Medal of Honor Frontline included as a bonus feature. Never played the actual game.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
A lot of Deathloop in this thread which I find interesting. I havent played it but a lot of people were treating it like a revelation when it launched.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
None recently but Brute Force. I played a hit 10 min and regretted I ever heard of it.
A lot of Deathloop in this thread which I find interesting. I havent played it but a lot of people were treating it like a revelation when it launched.
Deathloop is fantastic. It takes a while to get your head wrapped around the concept though. It turned me off initially, but once I figured it out, it turned into one of the best games I've played.

Also remember that this is an enthusiast forum so noise hits much louder than outside of here.

Last edited:

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Brute Force. I played a hit 10 min and regretted I ever heard of it.
Deathloop is fantastic. It takes a while to get your head wrapped around the concept though. It turned me off initially, but once I figured it out, it turned into one of the best games I've played.

Also remember that this is an enthusiast forum so noise hits much louder than outside of here.
Yea, but I'm not just talking about here. I've definitely seen many (including people in the industry) going "10/10?????" to the Gamespot/IGN reviews.

YohraUtopia

Apr 1, 2021
AC Valhalla Gold edition- 6 hours into an 80 hour borefest, I realized I had paid for 30 more hours of it.

I regret picking this up at a $20 sale price which was not worth it. Work the game, so incredibly dull and tedious.

I've known others who are the same way - I think the more open nature of Elden Ring reduced the amount of brick walls a person might run into, since there's more places you can go explore if a boss or location has you stuck.

lots to say here but to boil it down, that aspect and the placement of graces/bonfires and stakes of marika to ensure that you don't have a time suck run through the entire dungeon again to figure out bosses.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
It's very rare for me to regret a purchase. The most recent one is Horizon Forbidden West. I loved the first one when it was released and got the platinum trophy too.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Elden Ring, too samey and I played way too many soulslike.

Felt like the experience wasn't worth jt

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring. Hoped this was the one, after trying DeS and DaS1, but no, these just aren't for me, to clunky.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Most recently? Probably Elden Ring. It's my own fault, really. I had tried other Souls-like games and didn't enjoy them. I bought into the hype just before release thanks to some friends who were talking nonstop about it. Immediately regretted it. Thankfully, I was able to trade it in a week later and recoup 66% of the sticker price.

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
Vampyr, I really enjoyed Remember Me and Life is Strange from DontNod but did not like the gameplay at all in Vampyr

Oct 25, 2017
Pac-Man Championship Edition 2. I don't buy many games at full price and when I do I have to be damn sure I'm gonna like them. Stuff like Elden Ring or Monster Hunter World. No regrets only hundreds of hours of fun. But I pre-ordered Pac-Man CE2 because the first game was so good. They had completely ruined it. I played it for half an hour and never touched it again.
Developing your skill on eating the ghost trains quickly for me was way more fun than anything that the previous championship edition games had