• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoTime

Oct 30, 2017
WTH is this thread. Being anti-fascist is not being Antifa LOL. It's the same like saying being a football fan is being Ultras lol.
It seems to me that America just never had a real Antifa movement (they are not nice, just like any radical moment e.g. football ultras or skinheads or whatever), and for some reason label anyone against fascism as Antifa which is false

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I'm for labeling the KKK, White Nationalist groups and other far right groups as terrorist organizations. I'm also in favor of doing the same to Antifa, at least to the point where masked Antifa members are labeled as such.

It's ridiculous we have even gotten to this point.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they label all groups terrorists. BLM and others don't even remotely fall under that category. Far right yes but not all far left groups. The animal rights group from the 70s could but they haven't been in the picture for a long while.

The only far right group that may not is Proud Boys, it would be difficult to argue it in court anyway.

You don't remember the FBI and their Black Identity Extremism bullshittery?

Or Hannity comparing BLM to KKK

Rush Limbaugh called them terrorists (no real surprise there), Bill O Reilly compared them to Nazis, and obviously there's been many Fox News guests that have done the same.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
This article is dog shit. Antifa "physically attacks anyone to the right of mao" ??? lol
I hadn't clicked the article because honestly, it sounded like bullshit and it's the NY post, but fucking hell.
I guess the author has a thing about Antifa, because I looked as his twitter, and he says he "was beaten & robbed on 29 June by at least a dozen masked antifa assailants in downtown Portland. I was hospitalized with head contusions, a ripped ear & a brain hemorrhage. There have been no arrests."

EDIT: Oh, seems he was also beaten by Antifa people in May? And he's retweeting Fox news on twitter. Guy seems OBSESSED with Antifa. Damn.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I hadn't clicked the article because honestly, it sounded like bullshit and it's the NY post, but fucking hell.
I guess the author has a thing about Antifa, because I looked as his twitter, and he says he "was beaten & robbed on 29 June by at least a dozen masked antifa assailants in downtown Portland. I was hospitalized with head contusions, a ripped ear & a brain hemorrhage. There have been no arrests."

Andy Ngo? Hahahahahaha

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The American right deeply exaggerates any and all actions of the left. There's an extreme standard of conduct that has to be held, and the moment you step out of line it will be screamed from the rooftops by the propaganda machine.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of the guy before, but dude has a vendatta. And seems like a grade A prick.
He's the dude who made a hundred thousand dollars off gofundme convincing worm brained conservatives that he suffered (what would usually be considered) life threatening brain injuries from "concrete" milkshakes. Of course in a matter of days, he made a miraculous recovery and was bravely able to travel around the us to film tv and podcast interviews.

Edit: corrected some errors. He only raised almost 200k so far.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
He's the dude who made a million dollars off patreon convincing worm brained conservatives that he suffered (what would usually be considered) life threatening brain injuries from "concrete" milkshakes. Of course in a matter of days, he made a miraculous recovery and was bravely able to travel around the us to film tv and podcast interviews.
Oh THAT'S the guy? Man. Concrete milkshakes is such a fucking dumb concept too.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
As a non-american, I used to think they're the good guys. It's literally in their name, right? But it seems that they don't have a great reputation with even the Democrats. Noam Chomsky apparently called them 'a major gift to the right', presumably because their violent activities help right-wingers paint all of the left as dangerous militants.

I'm rather conflicted. While I'm a Gandhian and believe in non-violence, even Gandhi advocated for violent resistance against the nazis. The question of course is — are antifa activists hurting their own cause by their chosen methods of protest? Are their activities helping the right-wing recruit more people to the fascist cause?

At the moment, I'm tilting towards the thought that America is at a dangerous tipping point, and one must fight fire with fire. But I would appreciate more nuanced opinions.

Edit: my thoughts were sparked by this tweet-

Initially I dismissed her as another right wing trans-hating person, but apparently she's followed by Natalie Wynn (ContraPoints), so now I'm confused. EDIT 2: I found out that Natalie follows her for opposition research, which makes sense.

Ghandi was a racist btw.

Oct 26, 2017
If you live in a country that is trying to paint antifa as some terrorist organisation, then your country is probably a fascist state.

also re page 3: fuck cops

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017

The efforts to paint this guy as Antifa's first killer is fucking barmy.

It's utter madness and it'll be repeated regardless of what actually emerges (and has emerged so far).

tbh, I don't watch a lot of explainer videos, but this one was great. As a researcher myself who's studied the narrative of antifa in the US, this is pretty spot on. So are all the thread comments about scapegoating. I can't speak for antifa elsewhere; I don't study antifa specifically and I'm not in Europe. My studies are on social media movements and for me post-election antifa narratives and misinformation, that was just a particular case. But it's very clear what's happened with antifa in the US and how that narrative of convenience was created.

Here's what I'd add to the media treatment presented in this video: mainstream media's attempts to be objective shore up discussions of antifa's violent positions. When mainstream venues seek quotes and positions from far-right actors who are promoting hyperbolic positions, those positions spread. Add to that the other factors the video introduces re: presentation of protest, quotes from LEOs, etc., and it's easy to see how antifa has become the literal boogeyman for the right and a cover for white supremacists.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My actual experience with "antifa" is annoying teenagers or ignorant 20-somethings showing up to peaceful rallies and protests with baseball bats and balaclavas, and turning them from productive rallies and shows of solidarity into stupid school yard level skirmishes with local police and then that's all the local media focuses on. Generally, when "antifa" shows up to any rally or protest that I'm participating in, that's my queue to leave. Even if "we're on the same side" (and really, I don't think we are), if people in masks carrying homemade weapons show up to anything that I'm at, I'm getting out.

They're not a serious organization, group, or individuals. Paying them any attention beyond an eye roll is paying them too much attention.

Thankfully, the "local antifa" stopped showing up to political rallies over the last 12-18 months or so.

I'd put antifa on the same level of national importance and derision as that group of Facebookers who are planning to raid Area 51 this summer.

Last edited:

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you live in a country that is trying to paint antifa as some terrorist organisation, then your country is probably a fascist state.

also re page 3: fuck cops
It's pretty interesting. The people who want to criminalize "antifa and associated groups" are the same ones who criticized BLM of being too violent and threatening to police, who are a protected class among conservatives. It's endelessly interesting how people bring BLM as an example of (I guess) a respectable group of protestors when conservatives have generally the same reaction to both groups.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Of course I am Antifa, what are you?

Saying non-violence is the only way to defeat fascism and the extreme right is laughably ignorant about history.

If anyone takes the nazis side, they sre Nazi sympathizers.

tumblr_owip7nhlt11uw7ihbo4_400.gif

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Warned: Hostility over a series of posts in the thread, misrepresenting other members
I didn't equate soccer ultras to Antifa, you are sitting there denouncing my personal stories as lies (which is a shitty conversation starter to begin with) so I got into detail about existing leftist people and circles. Stop mushing stuff together I didn't say.
I don't know how often I have now said myself that Antifa is not a homogeneous group, yet you are still trying to lecture me about it, showing me yet again that you are reading into my posts whatever the fuck you want. It was my very first argument. But it is so much easier for ypur argument to act as if I said "All Antifa". I was talking about my personal experience. It's nice that you have had a different one. I am completely aware that my experiences with the people I met does not mean everyone coming to a demo thinks the way the others do. But they have done shit, yelled shit that people at gatherings were completely ok with that I am not. If you describe this as me not feeling cozy around them anymore, ok, laugh at me all you want. But nobody would speak up about this so yes, Infelt uncomfortable in their present. Maybe you haven't witnessed this yourself in 40 years, maybe you turned a blind eye, maybe you're the guy who actually engages in a discussion if you see shit. I have had much less contact with Antifa than you did, yet some of the stereotypes around Antifa were presented to me as true. But as I have learned, my personal experience equates to me reading Springer and believing every single word.

And since you brought it up, yes, everyone in that circle was outspokenly Antideutsch. And no, not everyone at Antifa is. But some are. Not everything around Antifa is unproblematic. That's all I said. I didn't denounce them as a one sided leftist terror group.

I'm sitting here, calling your "personal stories" anecdotes, accompanied by baseless bullshit you picked up from BILD.

You still keep treating Antifa as a monolithic entity, as long as you do that, it's completely pointless to at all try and discuss this with you. You're living in your own little bubble. Going to any sort of demo or rally and complaining about people protesting violently is extremly silly, though, it's ALWAYS been that way, not only in Germany, and it has nothing to do with Antifa. As long as you refuse to get that, I'll continue seeing your experience as BILD level bollocks.

I could write an essay about what I think of Antideutsche, honestly, they don't stand for a lot of what I stand for. But as long as we step up against Fascists, they're always "welcome" on my side. (Not like that's my decision or anything, since, again, not an organized group with memberships and shite)

Thing is, a lot of younger people (most Antideutsche, really) are still blind to their ideology and quick to go down more extreme paths that Otto-Normal won't or can't condone, but those people aren't "Antifa", all of "Antifa", or even a large part of "it", they're just individuals with their own ideals. See the following response to West if that's not clear enough.

And I'm sorry, if you felt personally insulted, but it's always the same damn stuff people who say "I'm left but not Antifa" bring up, it usually ends in "but they burn cars!" and eventually goes into the good old Hufeisen, I've little patience for that stuff, especially if I see someone isn't willing to budge from the stereotypes.

Yeah, I'm giving up for now, because you're just not getting what I'm saying. It's not "cliquey" here. And I never said that the "Antifa" as a whole is organized, anyone is calling the shots, there's a leader, there's membership. I've tried saying it many different ways, I'm not sure how else to put it.
Antifa and antifaschistisch are not truly synonymous in my eyes. If your bar for calling someone Antifa is "has demonstrated against oppressive bullshit" (or even lower), then sure, I'm Antifa.

You keep saying that Antifa is made up of small groups with cute little gang names in Austria, and I'm telling you that that's cliquey bullshit that has nothing to do with Antifa.

And that's not really my bar, that IS the bar. Anything else is stuff you add to it because somewhere, somehow you've seen things that are associated with Antifa, it just doesn't work that way though. "We" don't shoo people away, "we" don't have a bar to pass, membership requirements or anything. Anyone who stands up against the same sort of crap as us, is with us. And no, that doesn't mean condoning violent protests, burning Twingos or whatever. It doesn't even mean liking it, or turning a blind eye to it.

The way you, yourself, act as Antifa, is what you yourself are accountable for, what you condone, and what you think is right. You're not responsible for the actions of the Black Bloc or anything. Did that help to make my point more clear?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Antifa is mostly just people who watched Fight Club and took it a little too seriously, but not completely seriously. They have an idea about some kind of political change that they want to or imagine they can realize but it's mostly just about wanting to fuck shit up with a bit of a moral compass. They should be taken as seriously as rowdy sports fans and nothing more than that.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Antifa is mostly just people who watched Fight Club and took it a little too seriously, but not completely seriously. They have an idea about some kind of political change that they want to or imagine they can realize but it's mostly just about wanting to fuck shit up with a bit of a moral compass. They should be taken as seriously as rowdy sports fans and nothing more than that.
I think making it difficult of neonazis to congregate in public peacefully is a victory. But I guess that's a difference you and I have.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really should just rebrand to stop fascism or something. Spell it out because people are so fucking dumb.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
In Quebec, they're more of a hindrance than anything. Here's what always happens:
1)Inbreed right-wing morons organize a rally
2)Barely 50 people shows up
3)Antifa shows up with their masks and balaclava
5)Antifas are baited into doing something stupid/aggressive, do it
6)Inbreed morons get to play the victims on the 6pm news.
7)Op-eds in the papers about the left being out of control (by bad-faith columnists, but still...)
8)People who don't really follow politics/news (i.e. most people) think the left is violent and out of control.

Rinse & Repeat

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Grats. You understood nothing.

WTH is this thread. Being anti-fascist is not being Antifa LOL. It's the same like saying being a football fan is being Ultras lol.
It seems to me that America just never had a real Antifa movement (they are not nice, just like any radical moment e.g. football ultras or skinheads or whatever), and for some reason label anyone against fascism as Antifa which is false

Wrong. Antifa is not an organisation, it's not a homogenous group. Read the Wiki link.

You people really need to stop trying to equate Antifa with the Black Bloc.

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I see these sorts of "what is antifa?" questions, I feel they're in bad faith to bring up said right wing talking points. The fact that the right fears them and sees them as a boogeyman is satisfying to me. Right wing fascist bullies only fear reprisal.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
You keep saying that Antifa is made up of small groups with cute little gang names in Austria, and I'm telling you that that's cliquey bullshit that has nothing to do with Antifa.
"Gang names" and "cliquey bullshit", really? No idea why your're so dismissive about groups like https://autonome-antifa.net/.

And that's not really my bar, that IS the bar. Anything else is stuff you add to it because somewhere, somehow you've seen things that are associated with Antifa, it just doesn't work that way though. "We" don't shoo people away, "we" don't have a bar to pass, membership requirements or anything. Anyone who stands up against the same sort of crap as us, is with us. And no, that doesn't mean condoning violent protests, burning Twingos or whatever. It doesn't even mean liking it, or turning a blind eye to it.
So (ignoring that you keep, AGAIN, talking about violence and bullshit I've repeatedly pointed out I am NOT talking about) to you, Antifa is just shorthand for Antifaschismus?
EDIT: I have been operating under the Wikipedia definition:
Als Antifa (Akronym für Antifaschistische Aktion) werden seit etwa 1980 linksradikale und autonome Gruppen und Organisationen bezeichnet, die nach eigenem Selbstverständnis Neonazismus, Antisemitismus, Rassismus, völkischen Nationalismus und rechtsgerichteten Geschichtsrevisionismus aktiv bekämpfen

The way you, yourself, act as Antifa, is what you yourself are accountable for, what you condone, and what you think is right. You're not responsible for the actions of the Black Bloc or anything. Did that help to make my point more clear?
Not really. And I feel bad, because what you're saying here makes sense and is true, but it's also unrelated to what I'm talking about.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Wow, the amount of people who really bought into the rights rhetoric in here is astounding.

This is, after all, a forum composed of gamers.

In Quebec, they're more of a hindrance than anything. Here's what always happens:
1)Inbreed right-wing morons organize a rally
2)Barely 50 people shows up
3)Antifa shows up with their masks and balaclava
5)Antifas are baited into doing something stupid/aggressive, do it
6)Inbreed morons get to play the victims on the 6pm news.
7)Op-eds in the papers about the left being out of control (by bad-faith columnists, but still...)
8)People who don't really follow politics/news (i.e. most people) think the left is violent and out of control.

Rinse & Repeat

As a Quebecois, I think it's safe to say we live in a racist province, and ANY form of leftist activism attracts this attention, even the peaceful protest againt racism and the racist law 21 is decried as an "invasion"

People buying the right wing media narrative about Antifa are fucking idiots who shit their pants when they see muslims, who gives a shit about their feelings? We already live with their shitty, racist government, why expect them to wake up and suddenly find decency, if we only went softer on the extreme right and fascists? Fuck that noise.

Oct 26, 2017

Not only do you not know what you're talking about, it seems you didn't even pick up on the basic themes of Fight Club. Well done.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
This is, after all, a forum composed of gamers.

As a Quebecois, I think it's safe to say we live in a racist province, and ANY form of leftist activism attracts this attention, even the peaceful protest againt racism and the racist law 21 is decried as an "invasion"

People buying the right wing media narrative about Antifa are fucking idiots who shit their pants when they see muslims, who gives a shit about their feelings? We already live with their shitty, racist government, why expect them to wake up and suddenly find decency, if we only went softer on the extreme right and fascists? Fuck that noise.

The problem is that it's probably 80% of the population. Antifa is losing the PR battle and it's not even close. Then they get associated with QS, the NDP and even the Liberals.
They could counter-protest with peace&love shirts and bubble makers and it would produce much better results. It would also incite more people to join them, which makes it easier to drown the noise of the fascists.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They're not a serious organization, group, or individuals. Paying them any attention beyond an eye roll is paying them too much attention.
Antifa has done great work in preventing and punishing Nazis from congregating. They take fighting Nazis more seriously than most people do. They are out there on the front lines, to say they don't take it seriously when they put their physical well-being on the line is yike.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Lol starting off with an alt-right tweet

Classic.

Advice op don't try to learn from the words of right wing fuckheads

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
once again, for friday 8/9 in the year 2019: do not take anything said by the right in good faith.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Antifa has done great work in preventing and punishing Nazis from congregating. They take fighting Nazis more seriously than most people do. They are out there on the front lines, to say they don't take it seriously when they put their physical well-being on the line is yike.

I'm sure there's some chapters of antifa fighting the good fight against the scurge of Nazism somewhere. My local antifa "branch" or whatever they might be, in the Boston area, is a ragtag group of gen z'ers who split time being harvard square hipsters, and then showing up to otherwise productive rallies dressed like side-characters from Ubisoft games. Their efforts at fighting "nazis" in Massachusetts usually boils down to getting into unproductive scuffles with sympathetic police in communities that voted 92% for Elizabeth Warren in 2018. Are there nazis in Massachusetts? For sure. But "antifa" doesn't confront them because taking an Uber from Porter Square to Douglas or Charlton, where the nazis might actually live, costs too much money. Meanwhile, the "nazi" congregations in Boston are outmatched about 30,000:1 by people like me who are generally annoyed by the unbalanced attention that "antifa" from local internet media.

Much of my annoyance with local "antifa" here isn't even really with "antifa." It's with local internet media who will cover a protest or rally which will be 4 hours of people productively advocating for progressive issues, and about 4 minutes of local "antifa" showing up at the end and getting into some unproductive stupid scuffle with police, and then MassLive coverage of the event will be "14 Photos of Teachers Pay Rally" and 12 of them will be some 19 year old wearing a black mask and carrying a baseball bat... With the byline "Antifa Clashes with Police at Teachers Pay Rally." It's primarily irresponsible modern day "journalism" which is why I usually give them no more attention than an eyeroll around these parts. When the white middle class antifascists show up to the immigrant rights rally, usually about 10 minutes before the rally is scheduled to wrap up, is when I usually decide to leave because I don't like congregating in public with people who wear masks.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm sure there's some chapters of antifa fighting the good fight against the scurge of Nazism somewhere. My local antifa "branch" or whatever they might be, in the Boston area, is a ragtag group of gen z'ers who split time being harvard square hipsters, and then showing up to otherwise productive rallies dressed like side-characters from Ubisoft games. Their efforts at fighting "nazis" in Massachusetts usually boils down to getting into unproductive scuffles with sympathetic police in communities that voted 92% for Elizabeth Warren in 2018. Are there nazis in Massachusetts? For sure. But "antifa" doesn't confront them because taking an Uber from Porter Square to Douglas or Charlton, where the nazis might actually live, costs too much money. Meanwhile, the "nazi" congregations in Boston are outmatched about 30,000:1 by people like me who are generally annoyed by the unbalanced attention that "antifa" from local internet media.
I'm not familiar with how it is in Boston, didn't they disrupt some "free speech" rally there not too long ago?

Much of my annoyance with local "antifa" here isn't even really with "antifa." It's with local internet media who will cover a protest or rally which will be 4 hours of people productively advocating for progressive issues, and about 4 minutes of local "antifa" showing up at the end and getting into some unproductive stupid scuffle with police, and then MassLive coverage of the event will be "14 Photos of Teachers Pay Rally" and 12 of them will be some 19 year old wearing a black mask and carrying a baseball bat... With the byline "Antifa Clashes with Police at Teachers Pay Rally." It's primarily irresponsible modern day "journalism" which is why I usually give them no more attention than an eyeroll around these parts.
I think that's fair, def more an issue with the media though, of course they are going to shine a light on the more spicy things that happen.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
The problem is that it's probably 80% of the population. Antifa is losing the PR battle and it's not even close. Then they get associated with QS, the NDP and even the Liberals.
They could counter-protest with peace&love shirts and bubble makers and it would produce much better results. It would also incite more people to join them, which makes it easier to drown the noise of the fascists.

Nah fuck that, go read up on how Antifa works, you are part of the people who fundamentally misunderstand them.

It's Antifascist action, their goal is to create a hostile environment for extremist fucks. There was a time where that would be self evidently good, but the media and people have shifted enough to the right to sympathise with the fascists, it's not on anti-fascist movements to coddle these idiots, it's to make sure the far right don't own public spaces and normalise hate.

QS and the other major parties can be the voice of peace and love, Antifa is the streets immune system.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with how it is in Boston, didn't they disrupt some "free speech" rally there not too long ago?

No, regular people like me did:

jprL2Ym.png

AMhFuso.png

(Above, about 40,000 counter-protesters)

M5y3ZDk.jpg

(Above: 'Free Speech' protesters about... 30 of them)

qvtypqP.png

(above: ~2 dozen hipsters show up in masks and Narraganset beer t-shirts to pose for MassLive photo op)

I think that's fair, def more an issue with the media though, of course they are going to shine a light on the more spicy things that happen.

Yeah, it's definitely an issue with the internet media for me. For what it's worth, I think the mainstream Boston news media does a better job of not giving the tiny, fractional group of violence-provoking agitators undeserved attention. My beef is largely with new media, internet media, desperately trying to get clicks.

I'm sure in other places antifa can play a good role in preventing 'free speech' rallies like this one from congregating. But, if only antifa showed up to this, and not the 40,000 other people like me and my colleagues/friends, then it would have played into exactly the narrative that the "free speech" rallyers want with the perfect photo op.

Instead, thankfully, this was a huge embarrassment for the "free speech" rallyers because you have photos like this one:

0hKrV7c.png

(Above, semi-circle of a sea of humanity surrounding the tiny veranda of ~30 or so "Free speech" dirtbags screaming at nothing)

Last edited:

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Antifa isn't even really a thing in the US but that hasn't stopped Fox and Republicans from making one hell of a boogeyman out of it.