• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Has Witcher 3 on Switch significantly upset the ranking of top RPGs that are playable on handheld systems? What about the Switch ports of games like Baldur's Gate or Planescape?

I'm counting all RPGs able to be played officially on handheld systems, including mobile (Baldur's Gate was already on mobile I guess. Shit that includes mobile KOTOR too.).

Just some suggestions to toss up there:

DS Chrono Trigger
Whichever the best DS Dragon Quest is I guess
Witcher 3 Switch
D&D games on mobile and Switch
FF Tactics on PSP and mobile
Pokemon
Mario & Luigi
Dark Souls Switch
I don't know what people think the best MegaTen games are but a lot of those are on handhelds
Fire Emblem

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Dark Souls Remastered and Mother 3 are the first two to come to mind.

Those are pretty hard to beat.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey should definitely be on the list too.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the best RPGS ever either started on handhelds or were ported there, so this is a tough one.

It's only gotten more complicated with the Switch getting all these classic western ones.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't know how watered down the 3DS version of Xenoblade is, but the Wii original is probably my favorite JRPG of all time.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Golden Sun

giphy.gif

200.gif

Harmonius

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like we have to delineate between Ports and Original Handheld RPGs, because otherwise you get mostly console games included.

Top Three for me is probably Shin Megami Tensei 4, Radiant Historia, and Mother 3

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
The fact that I can play the likes of Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX, Vagrant Story, Breath of Fire III and IV on my Vita make it the GOAT handheld RPG system of all time imo. As far as games go:
  • FF VII
  • Xenogears
  • FFIX
  • Chrono Cross
  • Vagrant Story
  • FF Tactics
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Grandia
  • Suikoden II
  • Breath of Fire III
  • Alundra

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TWEWY is the best handheld RPG that's not a port, enhanced port, or remake of a console game.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that I can play the likes of Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX, Vagrant Story, Breath of Fire III and IV on my Vita make it the GOAT handheld RPG system of all time imo. As far as games go:
  • FF VII
  • Xenogears
  • FFIX
  • Chrono Cross
  • Vagrant Story
  • FF Tactics
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Grandia
  • Suikoden II
  • Breath of Fire III
  • Alundra

I didn't even think about PS1 classics. Damn.

And you've got all those FF games on Switch now too.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally my top five (in no order)

Chrono Trigger- DS
Star Ocean: First Departure- PSP
Final Fantasy I- PSP (first final fantasy I ever played :) )
Phantasy Star- Switch
Octopath Traveler- Switch

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Personally Witcher 3 didn't make a dent, didn't really do much for me to begin with when I played it on PS4.

Now if we're talking recent releases, then we can't fail to mention Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes Of An Elusive Age - Definitive Edition.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the list doesn't contain Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey it is incorrect.

Nov 23, 2017
Mother 3 is the best RPG to ever come out on handheld. I don't necessarily think we should count ports or Switch versions here should we? If so then maybe it would be FF12.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Golden Sun 1 or 2. What makes them so good? I love traditional jrpgs so I'm always ready to play an old one that I missed out on.
For my money, the best part of the game is excellent puzzle and dungeon design. However, graphically it's still wonderful, and the battle system and customization are pretty satisfying.

Story is decent enough.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Real talk tho, The World Ends With You is the greatest original handheld RPG that has ever been.

Sartho

Jan 9, 2018
Since we're counting Switch ports, I gotta Divinity: Original Sin 2. Amazing game, and seeing a friend play it on switch is awesome. Makes me want to double dip.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Switch is technically handheld so honestly I'd throw Xenoblade Chronicles 2 up there. Xenoblade Chronicles 1 would also be there too once Definitive Edition comes out.

I've never played Golden Sun 1 or 2. What makes them so good? I love traditional jrpgs so I'm always ready to play an old one that I missed out on.

They're basically Zelda games translated into JRPGs with some more spins on the formula. Strong puzzle design, great character customization, and fun characters/world. They're not too challenging (unless playing on Hard Mode for The Lost Age), but not any less engaging which is more important.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I guess Mother 3. Strange Journey and Radiant Historia are up there though. Also, a personal favorite of mine but probably wouldn't be in many lists: Rune Factory 4.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Megaman Battle Network 3 should be up there.

Personally Megaman Starforce 3 gets a special mention too.

Still nothing that plays like either of those out there.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm gonna say Mother 3. I played it using the fan translation patch, and it was an unforgettable experience. Mother 3 is such a great game with an awesome setting and overall theme and story. I can't believe Nintendo never gave us this game in english. It's truly a crime. Anyone who loved Earthbound(Mother 2) needs to find a way to play it.

The actual fan translation itself is great as well. They nailed the style and humor that the english Earthbound had.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I personally think this is a flawed premise if any RPG that can be played on a handheld is allowed rather than games made for a handheld, but then I didn't make the thread. So I guess Chrono Trigger.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I guess Mother 3. Strange Journey and Radiant Historia are up there though. Also, a personal favorite of mine but probably wouldn't be in many lists: Rune Factory 4.
It's Mother 3. It's always Mother 3.
I'm gonna say Mother 3. I played it using the fan translation patch, and it was an unforgettable experience. Mother 3 is such a great game with an awesome setting and overall theme and story. I can't believe Nintendo never gave us this game in english. It's truly a crime. Anyone who loved Earthbound(Mother 2) needs to find a way to play it.

The actual fan translation itself is great as well. They nailed the style and humor that the english Earthbound had.
Y'all are good people.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The current standing is that no other turn-based RPGs measure up to the Etrian Odyssey series in terms of tight gameplay design.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Should be considering handheld exclusive only. Top overall is Mother 3 IMO but I'm really having a great time with Bravely Second right now.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age will always be my all time favorite handheld rpgs. Brb while I go and listen to some Isaac Theme music.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only one mention of Dragon Quest XI? Dang.

Persona 4 Golden and Dragon Quest XI.