• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
I remember being hyped for this after playing Sun, but I lost interest shortly before it came out and I never bought it.

Was it generally an improvement on Sun/Moon? Was it more of the same? Worth a purchase? How has it gone down? It seems like it just fell off the planet after it released.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I remember being hyped for this after playing Sun, but I lost interest shortly before it came out and I never bought it.

Was it generally an improvement on Sun/Moon? Was it more of the same? Worth a purchase? How has it gone down? It seems like it just fell off the planet after it released.
Not worth it if you've played Sun. Kind of an improvement across the board but a very very minor one, and the story is worse.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They are better paced than the original games and they add some nice things, but they're not groundbreakingly different if you've already played S/M. I prefer them to the originals though.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Sun and Moon are two of my favorite Pokémon games and I'd recommend them to anybody.

The Ultra Games butcher the story beyond recognition and would not recommend them for that reason. If you're upgrading to benefit breeding and competitive battling and stuff, that makes sense, but if you want the best version of the games, go with Sun & Moon. USM are the only "third version" in the history of the series that I think damages what made the original good.

This comes down to taste but I am particularly stern on this point.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
It is an improvement, and I think it's worth the purchase, but I love Gen VII.

I feel like I'm the only person on Era who loved US/UM, so take my post with a grain of salt maybe.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The Ultra games are about 10$ worth of DLC in a 40$ game.

Seriously the worst entries in the series. This is what people dont seem to understand when it comes to the pokedex controversy going on right now, the last pokemon game we got had next to no new content in it. Gamefreak has been slipping for awhile now.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
It's harder, and IIRC the time-to-starter is reduced, but the rewrites to the story are ham-fisted and undercut almost every major character's motivations.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
People have complaints about the story, but I barely noticed since... it's a Pokemon story so I just immediately write it off.

It served my purposes well, as I was able to collect a bunch of legendaries I was missing from the Ultra Wormhole.

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
If you don't care about the story and haven't played the original SM then I'd say it's the superior version. With that said, I loved pokemon SM but I regretted my purchase of USM and wouldn't recommend them for the most part.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I thought they were much better paced than Sun & Moon and some of the post-game stuff is appreciated (like Ultra Wormholes).
I still don't like the Alola region or trials in place of gyms. Definitely an improvement over Sun & Moon though.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
They're the first Pokemon games I couldn't bring myself to even finish. They're not bad, I just never cared for Gen 7 so I just couldn't make it through them again.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't bother if you already played the originals. Nothing in it comes to justifying the purchase. The story is impressively terrible as well.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
The consensus is that you should play the Supernova Sun ROM hack if you want to enjoy it.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The pacing is horrible. The way the game constantly yanks control from you for the most trite reasons is extremely annoying.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I wasn't hot on Sun/Moon, couldn't get to the end of them, but I committed to Ultra and beat them and ended up really loving it. Thought it was far better than X/Y, loved how it mixed the series traditions up. They're definitely very similar though, I think it took me just focusing on the game more than the distinction between SM and USUM though. I liked the new Ultra Beasts, that helped. Pushed me to update my Living Dex which I had neglected the previous two gens.

The Ultra Games butcher the story beyond recognition and would not recommend them for that reason. If you're upgrading to benefit breeding and competitive battling and stuff, that makes sense, but if you want the best version of the games, go with Sun & Moon. USM are the only "third version" in the history of the series that I think damages what made the original good.
ehhhhhhh B2W2 aren't "third versions", but I felt they were far bigger steps back in story compared to BW vs SM and USUM. They're the only third/sequel versions where I thought the original had a (much) better campaign, even if they might have been mechanically better.

But there was no reason to make it more complicated to understand what the OP was talking about. Not everyone is as well-informed as you are. People should be more considerate and clear in their expression or reporting.
It's one of the best selling gaming franchises of all time. Everybody knows what OP means, get a grip.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
ehhhhhhh B2W2 aren't "third versions", but I felt they were far bigger steps back in story compared to BW vs SM and USUM. They're the only third/sequel versions where I thought the original had a (much) better campaign, even if they might have been mechanically better.

B2W2 are weird ones for sure. I would say they're comparable to the Ultra Games if you consider them "third versions" rather than sequels.

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed Sun.
Currently trudging through Ultra Sun. I am not enjoying it, but there are things to like I guess.

They are better paced than the original games and they add some nice things, but they're not groundbreakingly different if you've already played S/M. I prefer them to the originals though.
Not even remotely true for pacing.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
The changes to the story are worse but the added Pokémon and updated boss rosters made it more challenging and fun.

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
I haven't played many of the recent pokemon, I played the shit out of the original Red, Blue and Yellow.

I hated Pokemon Sun/Moon. I feel like every 10 seconds I was running into an unskippable boring ass cutscene. Completely ruined the pacing for me and I dropped the game around the time I saw the white Vulpix.

I'm surprised I dropped a pokemon game before finishing it but it was that bad.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
+ More interesting Totem Pokemon battles, generally speaking. Some of them are genuinely pretty tough depending on your party composition.
+ Post-game Rainbow Rocket episode is cool.
+ Really great music additions.
+ A bunch of new sidequests--they're nothing special, but some of them are pretty decent.
- Story is less interesting than vanilla versions, Lusamine's character doesn't make any sense.
- Rotom Dex is INCREDIBLY annoying, constantly pesters you with "advice you didn't ask for" on the bottom screen with no way to turn it off.
- Ultra Warp Ride is the absolute worst mini-game in Pokemon history and you'll need to play it dozens upon dozens upon dozens of times in order to collect all the legendaries.

It's not a clear improvement over vanilla Sun/Moon, but it's decent. I got it for $20 at release and was happy enough with it, but for full price I think I would've been disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played many of the recent pokemon, I played the shit out of the original Red, Blue and Yellow.

I hated Pokemon Sun/Moon. I feel like every 10 seconds I was running into an unskippable boring ass cutscene. Completely ruined the pacing for me and I dropped the game around the time I saw the white Vulpix.

I'm surprised I dropped a pokemon game before finishing it but it was that bad.
Black/White 2 is the closest we have to Pokemon Ultimate. Biggest criticism is that it has the worst rival.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mixed feelings on it.

If you are going to get one of the Gen 7 games, without playing any of the others, this is the one to get. More pokemon in the main campaign to use, slightly better pacing on the story in the early half (Though I'll get to the later half later on), even more wild and challenge Totem Fights than the original set, plus significantly more post game stuff to do with Battle Facility, Team Rainbow Rocket, Ultra Space etc.

I don't like a lot of the story changes it does though, they sorta butcher the Lillie/Lusamine arc by crow-barring the Necrozma and Ultra Recon Stuff into the game. The Ultra Recon Squad might be the worst villianous (?) team in the entire series, turns out adding a third team to a game that already have 2 to begin with wasn't going to work. It also has one of the more BS Boss Fights in the entire series with Ultra Necrozma (Either you will steamroll it, or Ultra Necrozma will steam roll you, that's basically all there is to the match.) and a worse final boss.

I also have mixed feelings on the Rainbow Rocket storyline, yes, it's cool to see all the Villainous team leaders and fight "Victoious" versions of them with great remixed themes and each leader having one of the region legendaries as part of the team. But it's bogged down with filler fights against laughably easy Rocket Grunts.

ig0DV63.png

Yep I'm sure this Arbok is going to really stop you after you've taken down a Dialga.

There are 4 Arboks from Grunts alone in the Rainbow Rocket area as well. It's a problem with G1 Pandering where it's only the Rocket Grunts you face (No Plasma/Flare/Galactic/Magma/Aqua grunts with unique themes) and they only use Kanto pokemon to the point where they run out of standard Rocket Kanto Pokemon about halfway through the post game story (Despite also being the villain team of Johto...), it's even more egregious knowing that next year they were going to remake the first generation anyway with even more Rocket Grunts with the exact same pokemon to beat (At least US/UM gives Team Rocket and Giovanni unique battle themes to make them stand out, Let's Go didn't even bother giving them a unique theme! Just the regular old battle theme you've already heard billion times already.)

So... I can understand someone saying either Sun or Moon is better or Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon is better. US/UM have the better gameplay, but maybe don't change enough to justify the full price tag (Espicially compared to Black and White 2). Sun and Moon also have some better story beats to go with it whilst USUM sorta drop the ball on the last island, hard.

Still, both are significantly better options as a pokemon game to play right now than the trashfire known as the Let's Go games. I recommend these titles easily. They are also going to be the games that will contain the most pokemon in them now going forward... that's a weird thing to say.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
It is an improvement, and I think it's worth the purchase, but I love Gen VII.

I feel like I'm the only person on Era who loved US/UM, so take my post with a grain of salt maybe.
I mean, I like US/UM when it comes to things I already liked in the originals and I do think they are better when it comes to gameplay changes and additions. It's just that the improvements are not enough to justify the pricetag if you already played the originals, and the story is so much worse that I find it hard to recommend it to people over the originals.

Also, the freaking Rotom Dex. It was fine in the originals but in USUM it was one of the most obnoxious gameplay interruption mechanics I've ever seen. I legitimately got angry at times.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Not sure what the general consensus is but I hate that gen 7 is filled with so many fucking cutscenes. USUM has more than SUMO. So there's that.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
But there was no reason to make it more complicated to understand what the OP was talking about. Not everyone is as well-informed as you are. People should be more considerate and clear in their expression or reporting.
When people discuss individual entries in a series, they tend to only say the subtitle because saying the full one is a bit of a mouthful.

"Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon", "Endgame", "Deathly Hallows", "Skyfall", "BotW", and so on.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Sun & Moon are probably my favourite games in the series... Ultra Sun & Moon are pretty shit.
They just felt like a chore, pacing was off, story was ruined, changes were extremely minimal. Ugh.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Theyre not a huge improvement over Sun and Moon. The stories are definitely worse but there's a bunch of stuff to do and catch. They added a hundred more monsters to the dex, four new forms for mons from Sun and Moon, four new Ultra Beasts, and one new Mythical. There's the Ultra Wormholes where you can capture old legendary Pokemon, other non-Alola Pokemon, other Ultra Beasts, and theyre an easy way to get shinies. The battle agency is a neat side diversion, and the rainbow rocket stuff is a nice celebration of the franchise's history. The changes don't really start until you get the last island unfortunately.

It pretty much is the last pair of Pokémon games as we know it, so there's value in that