• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

You wish to know my opinion?

• We do not speak of FFT: Advance. There is only Final Fantasy Tactics.

Votes: 66 16.2%
  • Love it!

Votes: 206 50.6%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 18 4.4%
  • It was okay, but I didn't hate it

Votes: 117 28.7%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I personally enjoyed the gameplay but the art, story and characters were such a drastic change from the original it left a bad taste for me. It's not a bad game but I felt like Final Fantasy Tactics set the bar way too high.

ffta.gif
(FFT:A)
24zBWC4_OMhJ8raYW13WtaO_Pww6F7Zq4f5Sd7K63i-8gm_KLUCaIdArzL5ZLExHOfKsvIFtVgCNscWjHUdkuRQQyrmn810
FFT:A
ff_tactics_wol_my_team_rpg_by_giovannimicarelli-d3cc668_grande.png
(FFT)
FFT-Screenshot-01.jpg
(FFT)

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I voted for my friend.

He hates FF

But for SOME reason he loved the hell out of FF Tactics Advanced so that must stand for something.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved tactics advanced but for some reason could never get into the original FFT.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
If FFT is a 10, FFTA is a 9, I still think it's a really good game. Granted, I haven't played it in a long time...

But I also liked the Law system, which I know some people abhor.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I love it.

That said, I want a Final Fantasy Tactics II way more than I want a Final Fantasy Tactics A3, if that makes sense.

FFT was an experience.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like the childish designs, the furry characters or the Law system. Just give me more games like the actual FFT and Tactics Ogre.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Original Tactics was definitely the better game, but the two Tactics Advanced games were enjoyable.

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid fucking laws or whatever the fuck. Always had to cramp the way I want to play the game.

"Dont use swords"

How about you kiss my ass? Off to the garbage bin where you belong.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
As a Tactics fan, they did a good job of adding to the franchise without taking anything away. Having them trapped in a fantasy book helps a bunch. If it weren't for the dumb law system, it would be something I would replay every so often.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's a good SRPG with interesting characters and story, but the artstyle never sticks to me. I always hated how the game looks, it's a massive downgrade from FFT.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bar the MC's design, both games are awesome. Yes, true, they are not as mature/dark as the original game, but unless you really have an issue with the tone of the story, their SRPG system and combat is just as great as Tactics.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I dont hate it (well, maybe i do) but it definitely was disappointing compared to FFT.

And the laws system is stupid (thankfully there is a hack to remove it).

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I was extremely excited for more FFTactics in my life and I didn't make it more than a few hours through Advance or Advance 2. After putting in several hundred hours and multiple playthroughs of Tactics, there was nothing at all that grabbed me about the other games with "Tactics" in their names. The have the name, but they lack the spirit.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
A2 is better gameplay wise.

i wish square would do a switch collection of all 3 tactics

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I never had a PS1 so didn't play the original, but I loved FFTA. The implementation of the job system made it so satisfying to build up your comrades. Lots of cool enemies to fight as well made it a fun time imo.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
FFTA is largely boring and only gaining JP by finishing battles instead of by action makes any sort of grind take a billion years too long. Gaining skills that way is just dreadful. FFTA2 is much more engaging, much more fun to break but it's still a pale imitation.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I never had a PS1 so didn't play the original, but I loved FFTA. The implementation of the job system made it so satisfying to build up your comrades. Lots of cool enemies to fight as well made it a fun time imo.

This was me, but I've since tried to get into FFT but the opening is super rough. I'll try again at some point of time. FFTA is my favorite game in the franchise though. One of my favorite implementations of the job system and there's so much content.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take : I have more fun with FFTA/A2 gameplay than original FFT.

FFT shits on both when it came to story, world, characters, writing tho.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
the law system was hilariously unique. I really enjoyed FFTA, especially skills being tied to weapons.

FFT's story was definitely more dramatic, but the difficulty curve was super wonky (going from tough as nails at the beginning to totally trivial by the end).

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I liked that one, A2 & War of the Lions so maybe my opinion doesn't qualify.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
FFT did set the bar way too high. It's still fine game though. TA2 didn't do much for me and I think I gave up after hitting a wall near the end

Oct 8, 2019
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is fantastic but I remember that you could prevent yourself from finishing certain quest by losing certain items. While the main quest in FFTA2 is kind of crap, the 2 long side quest where both fantastic.

In particular the Frimelda Lotice side quest FFTA 2 was excellent

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Frimelda Lotice

...However others see me, pariah or paragon, I am but myself.Frimelda Lotice Frimelda Lotice is a character in Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. The party first meets her as an oddity—a Zombie Paladin. In subsequent missions, the party learns about her past and agrees to help her...

I cant compare it to FFT because I got stuck in like the very first part of the game, and couldn't be bothered to grind to see if I could beat it by grinding.

I will also say that the races in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance are excellent, and I wouldn't mind a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics that use them in a more serious manner because FF XII only has Fran while the rest of the playable characters are Hume.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like all the art in the OP except that first pic, which is atrocious. It's baffling.

Whenever I think maybe I'll reply this, I just grab Knight of Lodis instead and have a great time.

Apr 7, 2018
I was very excited for Advance but man did the story, design, and setting just ruin it from the start. It became a slog at one point to me and got sick of the boring jobs and put the game down after about 30 hours. A2 was a little better imo, at least enough for me to finish the story. When war of the lions came out it really cemented my love of the original though, would've been great to see a true sequel after but we did get tactics ogre remade which was also great.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It's not the mature and serious game that the original is but it has a lot of heart to it and is much more philosophical than you might think. The updated jobs were a lot of fun and I enjoyed the soundtrack.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFT was good until it became about fighting evil Jesus and all the political scheming melted away.

FFTA is like if someone from 17 years in the past wrote about fucking stupid the isekai boom of today ended up being.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's not the mature and serious game that the original is but it has a lot of heart to it and is much more philosophical than you might think. The updated jobs were a lot of fun and I enjoyed the soundtrack.
Came to post this almost word for word.

I'd also add that there's a ton of QOL improvements in Tactics Advance. The original game's systems are a lot more arbitrary than people probably remember.

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
I think the strength of FFT's story really elevates it to being the better game, but I still prefer FFTA. Something about the gameplay hooked me harder, but its hard to remember what in particular (haven't played in at least 15 years).

That being said, I also don't dislike the story in FFTA. Doesn't hold a candle to War of the Lions specifically, but I was interested enough!

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
FFTA is the better game. FFT is a good game but, the classes, job systems and even the music was better.
Ffta2 was also a good game, but the first one was just amazing.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I loved the game as it was my introduction to the series and that style of game. The story especially resonated with ~10 year old me and I kind of wish we could get a proper A3 for console.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It's.... Okay. I didn't enjoy any part of it more than FFT, but it was perfectly serviceable for a portable tactics game.

Why hasn't SE released all three FFT on modern systems....

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing that's bothersome about Advance isn't the change in art, characters or tone. It's the relative lack of story or progress. There's nothing really driving the plot besides Marche's desire to return home and the game doesn't delve into any of the interesting implications of him being the only one to believe it's all a fantasy. Most of the game is you playing map to map with little development in-between

Advance is also (somehow) worse at explaining it's systems than the original was. And the judge system only punished creativity and experimentation. In some ways, FF12 is the better tactics game.

It's still a good game though, even if it's rough in a lot of spots. I'd like to another game from Square in the genre they themselves created (well Matsuno but...)

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the combat and job system. It's everything else packaged with it I'm not a fan of so my overall stance is it's fun enough for a one time-playthrough but I have no desire to delve past that. Teenage me put up with the judge system but I feel adult me wouldn't abide.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love it. I think TA suffers from having to be compared to Tactics. It's kind of like Teen Titans Go and the original Teen Titans. Like TA is fantastic, but after playing Tactics, it's not really what you want for a continuation of the series.

TA does gameplay better though, and I'm sorry to say, but it brings Ivalice to life better. FFXII's Ivalice is closer to TA than it is to Tactics.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
FFT is not just the mechanics but really about its plot, themes and characters. Class, sibling hood, choices.. those are at the core of FFT.

FFTA was totally about mechanics for me, with a thin plot/characters that did nothing.

Falique

Oct 30, 2017
If u ignore the story of Tactics A2 its actually quite fun gameplay wise and enjoyable plus the judge restrictions is not that shitty.

Its 100 times more better than Tactics A