• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I remember adoring this game as a kid. Me and my brother sunk ungodly hours into the game trying to collect everything.

When I revisited it on Wii U...

Man, it was kind of a slog. Didn't hold up nearly as well as both Banjo-games and I honestly think it's one of the weirder DK games now.

I know collectathons get a bad rep now but during their glory days I still remember people being quite sour on the game and I don't see it being talked as much as its peers from that time.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pure trash. I stupidly trusted magazine reviews and bought it when it was current. I can't say I remember it in detail now, though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bloated mess where every idea was thrown in without regard for how it fits together.

For a 3D game made a generation later it feels more disjointed and less of an adventure than the SNES trilogy.

May 25, 2019
London
Bloated. I think there was interesting ideas in there (5 playable characters with their own skillsets) but it is incredibly tedious to manage the collectibles and stuff for all of them - blue prints, ammo, golden bananas, regular bananas, tokens, etc.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is a collection of minigames wrapped in a really elaborate package.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of great parts, Minecart sections are boss, the rap is god tier.

Having to replay a level with every character to collect everything is tedious now though.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
fever dream game that pushed collectathon gameplay to the most unpleasant limits

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it as a kid but I think people who were not in grade school at the time that they played it hate it.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I somehow acquired the cart in a lot about 10+ years ago and still never put it in my N64. I should really rectify that sometime soon.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
...I liked it.

The last boss is also the perfect amount of challenge.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'd always wondered about playing it.

If I LOVE Banjo Kazooie, will I love DK64?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
it's bloated to hell, the level design is pretty dreadful after the first two worlds, it has no respect for player's time or any interest in pacing

but it's got a memetic rap song and it ends with a boxing match against k. rool so it evens out

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Good game albeit a bit more than needed. Not that I have a lot of trust for this place based on how often Nuts & Bolts gets treated like it's shit.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
"Collectathlon " and "bloated" will inevitably come up dozens of times.

I admit, there's TOO MUCH to collect and just having the Kong swap on the go would solve a lot of this issue.

That aspect aside : game is beautiful, excellent, meaty and lentghy, contains a plethora of mini-games (also "full" fledged games like original DK or jetpack), the hub is very nice...
It could have been one of the greatest without all those collectibles.

Oct 29, 2017
Effectively killed the collectathon platformer genre for me. After having so much meaningless bloat sand realizing this was the natural conclusion of the genre I never really engaged with it again. When the Assassin's Creed series broughy collectathoning back I stayed away from it (that kind of side content, not the games lol)

Jetpac slaps tho

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017

That's a good question. People love to hate DK64 but I find it way better than Banjo-Tooie, for example.
They are both bad games, don't get me wrong, but I find DK64 a more enjoyable and fun game overall. That said, Banjo Kazooie, the one you love, is one of the best games on N64, it's not a fair comparison. Haha

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I played it twice when it released and loved it, I don't know if I'd like it if I replayed it today.

I'll keep my memories intact and not attempt a replay.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
An actual slog, insane amount of collectables, too much repeating/backtracking. Really good music and some fun ideas of areas and bosses though. King Kutout is hilarious and K.rool was at least a payoff to using all 5.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It was one of the few ways to play the original Donkey Kong arcade with cement stage outside of the arcade.

OP
OP
Spinluck

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

I'd say give it a try but don't expect a game on the level of Banjo-Kazooie. I'd say it's quite a few tiers below it. It's still as funny and charming as a Rare game can be though. It's just that every ability you learn is just an excuse for more collectables and are usually extremely situational with little practical use.

x that by 5 and you have a more tedious game.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It has Lanky Kong and the DK rap so it's easily a top 10 game of all time.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Loved it as a kid, couldn't get past world 2 as an adult. The bloat and time wasting is fine when you're a kid but as an adult you can tell it doesn't respect your time.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

The better guide will be your feelings about Banjo-Tooie. While they're all collectathon 3D platformers, B-K is by far the most focused. DK64 asks you to cover the same ground over and over again to collect each Kong's unique bananas. Banjo Tooie is not quite as egregious but still grinds to a halt as you go switch to Mumbo (or solo Kazooie, or transformed B-K) to activate a single switch, then run back to play through the same area in one or more of your other forms.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
It's a flawed and bloated game that has plenty to love about it.

The thing for me was that, at the time at least, this game was HUGE. I never played the DKC games before 64 so I didn't have a reference for what Donkey Kong played like. I was a kid and had never seen or played a game that felt this big to experience before. Banjo-Kazooie came close but this game made it feel quaint. Yes, there's something to be said for the slow speed and all the inconveniences, but this was a game with:
  • Large levels full of stuff to climb and things to collect everywhere
  • Gorgeous graphics (going from Mario 64 to this was something else)
  • A sense of dread and atmosphere (K. Rool's ship being that close to the island and you seeing what it can do at every game over was creepy)
  • A lot of playable characters each with their own game's worth of stuff to do
  • A surprisingly fun multiplayer mode
  • Funky Kong. And he sells you firearms.
It's aged, really poorly in some cases (and I still want to know whose bright idea it was to lock the final boss behind beating the Donkey Kong arcade game) but for a 7 year old with all the time in the world back in 1999, this was exactly the game I wanted and it surprised me when I started seeing all the "DK64 isn't very good" takes as an adult. I mean, their takes have merit, but I still like it. It could really benefit from a remaster to fix performance and maybe do some QOL, imo.