• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 3 is when the game starts picking up. Before that you're in the tutorial zone. Once you leave there you start getting tons of gadgets and the multiplayer system starts really affecting the game.
Just finished it a few days back and absolutely adore this game. As others have said, once you get past chapter 3 it really opens up and you get some many things to make your journey more enjoyable. I will be going for the platinum for sure.
The 1st 2 chapter are like the tutorials, after chapter 3 is when the game opens up. You can go back to previous locations so my advice is to move with the story untill you reach chapter 3. To me is one of my favorite games this gen. Loved it.
Get through the opening hours specifically to around chapter 3-5. The game opens up and comes together a lot more. The first zone is intended to be a lot more droll to make the impact of the asynchronous collaboration and building up of your toolset in later chapters more impactful. Don't worry about side quests in the first zone, as I don't think there are any important upgrades there at all unlike later sections.
Perhaps worth mentioning: the Power Skeleton is a pretty dramatic upgrade (which is why I focus on it in this post). On the other hand, it probably takes around 10-15 hours to actually get to the Power Skeleton (it's part of the main/story path [in Episode 3]).

Since the OP and others may be curious to hear more:

The people that love it, I just dont see what they see. I want to though.

From reading/searching through the Game of the Year thread, I noticed a good number of positive comments on how the gameplay loop changes over time, as new mechanics are introduced (I previously posted these excerpts in the OT):

Corporate Clown:
Corporate Clown said:
[...] When I first started putting this list together I was still relatively early into Death Stranding and although I was enjoying it for the most part, I felt like it was a bit tedious as well and was seeing it fall into the bottom half of my list. The more I kept playing, however, the more I started to really understand the game, appreciate what it was and really love it. As I was making my way through the mountains everything started to click. Between mapping out the region to create optimal routes, really starting to get a sense of the story's characters and themes, and finding the best way to deal with both BT's and MULES, I could sense the game shooting up the ranks of my "Best of" list. If there is one thing I want to highlight about what makes this game special it is the online functionality. Too many times I found myself in a situation where I was not sure how to traverse over obstacles when I would come across a brilliantly placed bridge, dip line or generator put there by another player. I would then pound on the "like" button to let them know their work was appreciated and many times other players would do the same for me. Death Stranding is all about bringing people together and working cooperatively, and Kojima fucking nailed it.

Big G:
Big G said:
[...] I've gotten a similar level of fulfillment from the core experience of Death Stranding. Structurally, it's easy to see why. You start off the game with pretty much nothing and immediately feel overwhelmed by the task at hand. It feels daunting, much like sneaking into a high-security military base with no weapons or gear and just hoping to not get spotted by a guard. But with the completion of each new mission, you get something a little bit better that helps with the next mission, and then the mission after that. This goes on for hours and hours. The game always seems to have something more to give, to keep you pushing forward. In MGSV, you get D-Dog and sniper rifles and optic camouflage that make sneaking in and out of hot zones quicker and stealthier. In Death Stranding, you get vehicles and exoskeletons and zip-lines which allow you to move more cargo at a faster pace. [...]

chimpsteaks:
chimpsteaks said:
[...] What seems like a simple (but addictive) gameplay loop at first grows more on more complex at the perfect rate as more tools and functions are trickled to you. Plotting a route is like nothing else: "oh, looks like there's gonna be some rough terrain, better bring some ladders and climbing equipment. Mules on the route too, gonna need a bola gun and a smoke grenade. Rain doesn't pass through my route for the next 20 minutes so I can get away without packing any extra anti-BT weapons as long as I move quick". Then the building mechanics start unlocking, and you're rebuilding the world with a bunch of strangers which was also really fun and unique. Definitely an experience worth having and I'm very glad this game was allowed to exist. If anyone likes games but has been on the fence about playing this because of the polarized reviews, you owe it to yourself to give it a try and at least see for yourself whether it clicks with you.

Miamiwesker:
Miamiwesker said:
[...] He turned the journey from point to point in an open world as the core gameplay, not the destination. Every journey becomes its own mission, I loved planning my routes, trying to understand the logistics of delivering the most packages in the least time. Then came the evolving mechanics, in true Kojima fashion the game keeps giving you new gameplay ideas constantly for so many hours. Surprise after surprises, what starts off simple becomes a massive enterprise of delivering packages. All this with a crazy sci fi story that is told with beautiful direction, great acting and mind blowing epic setpieces. It's not as good as MGS games but it's definitely one of the best games this year.

Thewonandonly:
Thewonandonly said:
What a unique game this is. In all my years of gaming I would never imagine I would spend 40 hours delivering packages and having an amazing time. This game success comes from its pacing and just how masterclass it is. You get equipment at a perfect rate and it really makes the progress feel worth it. The cinematography is also incredible and some of the best in gaming!! If only the story was better then this could have easily been numero uno!

Rendering...:
Rendering... said:
[...] The very last thing I expected Death Stranding to be was a total blast to play, with moving themes that are made concrete by all the fun stuff you're doing. The basic gameplay loop is simple: You run through the world delivering packages to remote outposts, while avoiding enemies and corrosive rain. You connect these outposts to a futuristic internet. Each connection opens up more deliveries, and lets you build more and better tools for completing them. Some tools are for combat, some for traversal. Each connected area also fills up with structures and vehicles that other players have made. Progress becomes a cooperative enterprise. This might still sound kind of dull, but the sense of progression is phenomenal. You start by stumbling around on foot, trying not to break all of your packages as you use basic tools like ladders and climbing ropes to struggle through the terrain. You make a few deliveries, and suddenly you've got zippy electric bikes. You can build generators to recharge them, or use the ones that other players made. You can build huge bridges to span rivers and rocky fissures, then rebuild roads that stretch for miles. Soon, you have turbo-boosting trucks that let you transport huge volumes of material. Powered exoskeltons that let you lift heavy or run fast. Ziplines that rocket you over rocky or enemy-infested areas, up hills, down cliffs, across flooded chasms. Not to mention your bola guns, remote-activated shock grenades, and decoy packages filled with knockout gas.

Before you know it, you've created a full infrastructure and turned the wilds into your playground. You can handle yourself against any enemy. You're helping other players with dropped cargo and benefiting from their vehicles and structures. You've found the most fun, interesting, and efficient ways to get from one outpost to the next. [...]

Tain:
Tain said:
For as long as this game is, and as barren and desolate as the setting is, the core mechanics remain engaging throughout. It's fun to carry shit from point A to point B. The movement rules are surprisingly nuanced and take some time to learn. The survival elements hit that sweet spot of being something you're mindful of without being something you're annoyed by. The combat encounters, when they happen, are actually well-done and not throwaway. New wrinkles constantly appear at JUST the right time, balanced by a satisfying sense of progression as you see the infrastructure you're building help yourself and other players. The narrative is weird and nonsense at first but actually pretty fucking good by the end, and all of the cutscenes are well-shot and pretty well-acted. Watch out for the occasional long stretch of over-exposition, though. This is a great game, and one that I was hesitant to suggest to others at first but would now do wholeheartedly.

wbloop:
wbloop said:
[...] And after finishing it at the beginning of December with about 46 hours on the clock I can safely say that I did not regret playing it. It actually was very motivating for me to improve my standing with all the NPCs to get the needed upgrades like the exoskeleton. Or to raid the MULE camps to get the neccessary materials to build roads, which in turn made the game much easier and made me drown in likes thanks to the online system. Same thing goes for the ziplines. It was so much fun to find the optimal way to place the zipline network. [...]

ghostemoji:
ghostemoji said:
[...] Building out the infrastructure of the end of the world has been pure joy. Building a sophisticated network of zip-lines to cross the unforgiving setting is one of the most rewarding experiences I've had this generation. Getting the feedback that people appreciate my work and are taking advantage of the things I've created is even better. I have spent several afternoons running around in circles on my map delivering packages back and forth just because I enjoy how efficient I've made the process. I don't know why it works so well for me, but it does. The whole package is an experience that is unlike any other, and I'm so happy it was made.

Neiteio:
Neiteio said:
[...] The trek ahead is long and perilous, and you must carefully manage your stamina, hydration and blood levels if you're to reach your destination. It can be psychologically daunting, a feeling compounded by the alien atmosphere of a lonely landscape haunted by oily black ghosts and patrolled by bandits. But you plod on, wading through raging rivers and knee-deep snow, up steep inclines and down sheer cliffs, through dense foliage and high-speed winds that batter your cargo like a sail. You clamber up and over rocks, the smallest pebble of which can send you tripping and falling, damaging your haul. You steady yourself, squeezing the left and right bumpers to shift your weight to and fro, gently feathering them as you thread your way around obstacles, each breathtaking vista a pathfinding puzzle to unravel. As you connect each scattered outpost to this game's version of the internet, you also activate the game's online component for that region, peppering the map with vestiges of other players, from thoughtfully placed bridges to a patchwork of ziplines. This helps trivialize certain obstacles on subsequent trips, but the game's miniature recreation of the U.S. continues to ramp up the complexity with harsher terrain, trickier foes and more grueling deliveries. The gameplay loop just works, though. There's an engrossing sense of tension and release, from the planning stages of a delivery to the moment you hand off the goods. [...]

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
02994ad5e75a980dadcc6323b3e96570.jpg

This becomes Death Stranding.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's no consensus. So you should play it and make it your own mind.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I finished inside 45 hours and I had all the weapons in that picture.
I'm still on chapter 3, which I imagine is the reason.

EDIT: Combat is a very small part of this game. Even if you decide you want to take out a MULE camp, you're done in five minutes without breaking a sweat - and that's just using a piece of rope.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The divisive games are the ones that pique my interest the most. The potential reward of finding a game you may love and that's different from 90% of the games releasing is too attractive for me, even if there's a risk that I'm going to hate it.
So yeah, the best advice is always to try it for yourself, borrow from a friend or wait for a discount and go for it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Second best game of the generation after God of War. A truly special game. It's safe to say that there is nothing like it which is rare enough but extremely rare in the AAA space.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how much crap the game got (and still gets) for its gameplay. To me, it's got some of the best gameplay mechanics this gen. Kojima was 💯 successful in making hiking and logistics mechanically deep and fun to play.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I don't think there's consensus, on the game as a whole, however i think, for those that have played it, that the majority would agree that the game is absolutely brilliant in its presentation, visuals, atmosphere, audio, art...
And as Kojima somehow hinted, it is kind of a new genre. Maybe not to that extent, but it is a really unique game, a very welcome experience, many won't like it, which is ok, myself i wasn't really convinced, so i bought it when i found it cheaper. But i don't know why, but the game is addicting, one more delivery please. I can't even continue the main plot because of that.

And, already said, but the world, while apparently empty, is so well done, that you really feel alone and part of it. And it also does something great, that hopefully more games adopt , at least partially, the way that it handles something so trivial, going from A to B. Walking is not as easy as it seems, especially carrying stuff.

Oct 30, 2017
Got it since a couple of weeks, in chapter 6 @ 70 hours. Played last night till 3.30 and still didn't want to quit.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Divisive game.

For me it was a great and unique experience, with better gameplay (the loop is incredibly addictive once it clicks with you) than story (which isn't bad but is not that great either).

And it has one of the best open worlds of the generation: i will remember for a long time how relaxing it was to travel through some of the scenery with that soundtrack.

RainerDrix

Oct 25, 2017
Long Island, NY
I'm still on chapter 3, which I imagine is the reason.

EDIT: Combat is a very small part of this game. Even if you decide you want to take out a MULE camp, you're done in five minutes without breaking a sweat - and that's just using a piece of rope.

This is wrong. Combat is a small part of chapters 1-3, but what's great about Death Stranding is every chapter introduces brand new mechanics (either through combat or traversal).

Oct 30, 2017
Divisive game.

For me it was a great and unique experience, with better gameplay (the loop is incredibly addictive once it clicks with you) than story (which isn't bad but is not that great either).

And it has one of the best open worlds of the generation: i will remember for a long time how relaxing it was to travel through some of the scenery with that soundtrack.

Yeah, traveling is so awesome.
With open world games, like rdr2, i always walk around the world from edge to edge. Equipped with ladders and ropes, Death Stranding gives me an euphoric feeling. Music and soundeffects are really good next to offcourse the insane graphics.

Oct 27, 2017
The game made walking and fetch quests actually fun and engaging. All the little systems and the way the world is designed just makes something that sounds so mundane actually engaging and fun. It also had a really good story most of the time.

It is hard to know if everyone will like it but I suggest everyone to give it a chance if they ever get their hands on it. The biggest problem is getting people to try it and that's the hardest thing. It costs money to try it out without knowing if you will like it or not.

If anybody can get it from friends then I recommend they do so.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Incredible game. On par with Sekiro for fave game 2019. But it's still divisive within the gamersphere.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure on the consensus, but I loved it.

It is sort of a weird gameplay loop at first, but I was addicted after a few hours. Also has a really intriguing story and setting.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I just stopped playing it by chapter 3, or was it 4? I liked it early on, but every enemy type got on my nerves.

I would have liked it more without the human enemies at least. Because the actual delivering and building mechanics was quite fun.

Oct 27, 2017
From reading/searching through the Game of the Year thread, I noticed a good number of positive comments on how the gameplay loop changes over time, as new mechanics are introduced (I previously posted these excerpts in the OT)...

To follow up on question of "consensus" (or alternatively 'general opinion', or 'majority view', or something else along those lines) here at Era, as I mentioned in a different thread, a couple of folks posted some interesting stats in the Game of the Year results thread:
[...] If you add a column for number of ballots that a game appeared on and then average points per ballot, it's interesting to see that excluding games with only a couple votes, that Disco Elysium and FFXIV: Shadowbringers are the only games to have an average points per ballot above 3. So most people that played them put them in the 1-3 range. (Here's a copy of the sheet with that column added) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JThmmU_nxo0aKRsECIZa4IQyZ3INWAqhUFfhJIreQqo/edit?usp=sharing
Just because I enjoy messing with data in this way, and I remember enjoying previous years being broken down like this, if you go by average points per ballot, for games with more than 5 votes, the top twenty is this:

1) final fantasy 14 shadowbringers 3.298507463
2) disco elysium 3.057471264
3) death stranding 2.857142857
4) fire emblem three houses 2.825072886
5) sekiro shadows die twice 2.766509434
6) resident evil 2 2.730097087
7) anno 1800 2.727272727
8) the legend of heroes trails of cold steel iii 2.7
9) outer wilds 2.68902439
10) divinity original sin 2 definitive edition 2.615384615
11) red dead redemption 2 2.526315789
12) return of the obra dinn 2.5
13) control 2.458923513
14) pathologic 2 2.4
15) monster hunter world iceborne 2.381578947
16) dragon quest 11 definitive edition 2.379310345
17) supraland 2.375
18) trials rising 2.333333333
18) f1 2019 2.333333333
20) dirt rally 20 2.3125

And yeah, Shadowbringers is pretty out there in front of everything else by this metric. Love to see Anno 1800 in the mix there as well. Need to play more of that.

Shoutouts to the following games that were someone's number 1 and appeared on no other list: Sonic Robo Blast , Eagle Island, The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel II, Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet, Forza Horizon 4: Lego Speed Champions, Imperator Rome, Vestaria Saga I: War of the Scions, ESP Ra.De. Psi, Dota 2 Autochess, Mario Kart Tour, Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods.
[...] I did take a look at the data, and did some quick math on number of votes. Here are some additional tidbits.

Total number of votes (including honorable mentions):
1. Resident Evil 2 - 515
2. Sekiro - 424
3. Control - 353
4. Fire Emblem - 343
5. Death Standing - 336

% of #1 votes per game (minimum 100 total votes):
1. Disco Elysium - 44.3%
2. Death Stranding - 36%
3. FE - 34.1%
4. Outer Wilds - 26.8%
5. Sekiro - 26.2%

Points per ballot (minimum 100 total votes):
1. Disco Elysium - 3.06
2. Death Stranding - 2.86
3. FE - 2.83
4. Sekiro - 2.77
5. RE2 - 2.73

For the latter two lists, lowering the minimum total votes yields different games. I just chose 100 arbitrarily since I don't know how many people actually submitted ballots.

But there are limits to what we can say for sure, if we stick to the available data:

Nice, thanks for this list.

So for example, the Top 3 [Shadowbringers, Disco Elysium, Death Stranding] on this list [ranked by average points per ballot] seem to have 'underperformed' (DS to a lesser extent than the other two) on the main list: either because (1) relatively few people actually played them, or because (2) they were 'divisive'/'polarizing' games (in which case, lots of folks who played them would have consciously left them off their Top 10 altogether), or some combination of those two factors.

I guess the available data doesn't actually tell us the extent to which either/both of these factors were involved (in any given case of 'underperformance'), since folks weren't asked/required to give a full list of all the games they actually played/completed (aside from their Top 10), but perhaps I'm missing something.
Yeah, you've basically got it right. All we can really tell from that list [ranked by average points per ballot] is that among people who thought to put those games in their top tens/honorable mentions, most of them *really* liked it. It's interesting that having something as an honorable mention, or even low on the list, actually hurts it in the Points Per Ballot totals. Getting above a 3 like Disco and Shadowbringers did means that it was in the 1-3 lots on the majority of ballots it appeared on.

Just thinking on the two top games, it seems pretty reasonable that not that many people played Shadowbringers. It's the third expansion for an MMO and, I assume, requires many many hours to actually reach and play through the storyline. This required investment probably does trend people to rate it highly as well, since clearly they're really into FFXIV, so a good expansion for that is gonna definitely get high marks. I think Disco Elysium has a similar low player count problem, given that it's only on PC and is kind of a niche thing. Also, just from my playing of it, I could see people bouncing off it if they just aren't up for that much reading and conversation in a game. It getting 7th, with under 200 votes, is a pretty big accomplishment though. Same with Outer Wilds hitting 9th at a similar vote count.

Unless we wanted to do something less formal/definitive, like scraping comments from the voting thread, wherever folks happened to mention why they left certain games off of their ballot:

[...] Basically, it's going to be really hard to extrapolate reasons why people didn't put something on their ballots unless we scrape people's comments from the voting thread.

See also:
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2019

Overall | Genre | Platform | Data Notes: We would like to thank Cerium, Muzy, Rösti, OneAndOnly, tgr_williams, Mist, Hecht, ColdSun, ratrosaw, and all of the site staff for assisting in this year's Game of the Year effort. This year's trophy has been designed and created by Rösti We would...
Overall Game of the Year
1. Resident Evil 2 = 1406 points, 6 honorable mentions
2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice = 1173 points, 4 honorable mentions
3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses = 969 points, 4 honorable mentions
4. Death Stranding = 960 points, 8 honorable mentions
5. Control = 868 points, 7 honorable mentions
6. Devil May Cry 5 = 614 points, 7 honorable mentions
7. Disco Elysium = 532 points, 3 honorable mentions
8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order = 482 points, 12 honorable mentions
9. Outer Wilds = 441 points, 5 honorable mentions
10. Luigi's Mansion 3 = 414 points, 9 honorable mentions
11. Astral Chain = 382 points, 3 honorable mentions
12. The Outer Worlds = 379 points, 8 honorable mentions
13. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night = 329 points, 11 honorable mentions
14. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening = 324 points, 9 honorable mentions
15. Slay the Spire = 289 points, 3 honorable mentions
16. Kingdom Hearts 3 = 289 points, 4 honorable mentions
17. Judgment = 274 points, 3 honorable mentions
18. Pokemon Sword and Shield = 274 points, 5 honorable mentions
19. Super Mario Maker 2 = 268 points, 8 honorable mentions
20. Baba is You = 255 points, 7 honorable mentions

Most #1 Votes
1. Death Stranding, 121 votes
2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses, 117 votes
3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, 111 votes
4. Resident Evil 2, 110 votes
5. Disco Elysium, 77 votes
6. Control, 61 votes
7. Outer Wilds, 44 votes
8. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers, 34 votes
9. Devil May Cry 5, 29 votes
10. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, 17 votes

Best Action-Adventure Games
1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice = 1173 points, 4 honorable mentions
2. Death Stranding = 960 points, 8 honorable mentions
3. Control = 868 points, 7 honorable mentions
4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order = 482 points, 12 honorable mentions
5. Outer Wilds = 441 points, 5 honorable mentions
6. Luigi's Mansion 3 = 414 points, 9 honorable mentions
7. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night = 329 points, 11 honorable mentions
8. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening = 324 points, 9 honorable mentions
9. Days Gone = 247 points, 4 honorable mentions
10. A Plague Tale: Innocence = 209 points, 4 honorable mentions
Also seems like it was well liked among developers:

Last edited:

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
The good: it's fun and has some really innovative multiplayer systems
The bad: incoherent story, terrible pacing, some aspects of it get very repetitive

Oct 27, 2017
If you aren't enjoying the act of delivering packages, I don't think there is anything that would change your mind beyond just brute forcing yourself through the game. I think the story is the worst part of the game and yeah, the BTs sections are just miserable.

Nov 10, 2017
Houston, TX
I played for a few hours and gave up. I see it just sitting there in my library and I feel like I need to revisit it to justify the purchase.

At what point does the game start to get better? Balancing packages and walking around BT areas just wasn't fun in the first few hours.

Man, I feel this. I've put about 10 hours into it, and I think I'm on the verge of giving it up. I can't grasp what the game wants me to do in the BT areas. I want to press on with the story, but I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

Fat Dad

Prophet of Regret
Nov 28, 2017
I really liked it. I just wish there was more. I'm trying to find another game to play and nothing right now is keeping my interest for very long.

Oct 27, 2017
The Power Skeleton is a pretty substantial upgrade (I focus on it in this post), and it's one of many progressively introduced mechanics that changes the gameplay loop quite a bit, but then again it does take 10-15 hours to get it. As noted at reddit:
I just unlocked the power skeleton, helped the guy out and got it upgraded to lv3. Does anyone else feel like it removes the challenge from the game?

I'm sprinting across the map with 250kg on my back and Sam never misses a step. The grueling slog of the first chapters is gone, and to me that's the essence of why I love the game.

Vehicles are okay because they become useless on rougher terrain, but my power skeleton is letting me fly up and down the map. I thought timefall might ruin the electronics, but nope, they keep on going, hardly even get damaged.

Is anyone else feeling like this? Is there something I still haven't seen that is going to counter these? I might have to do a no-skeleton playthrough.

The top response:
That's kinda the point. As you get further you get better upgrades. It gets even easier still, just wait.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the hell out of it. My personal GOTY 2019. Looking forward to bying it and playing it again on PC in June.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It can be obnoxiously up its own arse at times, but it's a brilliant game. Or experience. Or whatever it's meant to be. GOTY 2019

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't get into it. But it's mostly me. I see the genius in the game, but it's not calling me now and I'm fine with that. I doubt I'll revisit and finish it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just beat out Bloodborne to become my game of the generation. Incredible experience, truly unique and wholly dedicated to the theme and vision it presents.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the main loop, I must admit the exposition and storytelling of the final chapters really bummed me out, but nothing can take away from the joy of being a spoopy rough rambler and part time yodel delivery driver.