• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I cannot get into open world games to save my life, but there was something different about Death Stranding and I was hooked for the entire experience. Incredible game. Loved both the gameplay and the cutscenes. Parts of it even felt like a great Metal Gear Solid game to me.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Second best game of last year, after Sekiro.

And as others have pointed out, Chapter 3 is when it gets much better.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is one good ass fuckin' game. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There is no consensus... people always use that word wrong.

Opinions are divided, but most people like it according to all data we have.

It was in our GOTY top 10, too.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Insanely overrated and a lot of waffle. It tries to be deep but just comes off as pretentious nonsense. I guess that sums up Kojima though...either you love what he does or you don't.

I got a loan of it from a friend to play. So glad I didn't buy it. Would be kicking myself.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I liked it but also understand it totally isn't for everyone. I played the hell out of it when it first came out and really enjoyed it. Just recently started playing it again doing endgame stuff, getting all the shelters to full star ratings. I find it a real zen experience now just delivering packages, building things for other players with all my upgraded stuff and fully rebuilt road system.

I wish they gave you the ability to listen to the unlocked songs on a music player while exploring out in the world MGSV style. (Unless I'm missing something). The game even blocks spotify while the game is on. So I cant even queue up the soundtrack that way. Bummer.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There is no consensus, it is kinda divisive. The majority however seems to think it is not only good but great. Not for nothing did it garner the most 10/10s from citics in the last year and is leading in the overall GOTY awards count.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Loved it but it's not for everyone.

Would play it again with pleasure.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played it more than 120 hours and it was one of the best games of my life, as a person who plays for about 26,27 years. An amazing experience that I loved almost all parts of it but I understand the hate about it too and won't recommend it to my friends!

Sep 25, 2018
I played for a few hours and gave up. I see it just sitting there in my library and I feel like I need to revisit it to justify the purchase.

At what point does the game start to get better? Balancing packages and walking around BT areas just wasn't fun in the first few hours.

same Boat but glad I did not buy it myself

its easier to be less disappointed when its not your money that went to waste

jrizzle

Jan 24, 2018
For me it was one of my favorite and least favorite games of all time. It did some unbelievably unique things for a AAA game, but also was unbelievably tedious at times.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I liked it but also understand it totally isn't for everyone. I played the hell out of it when it first came out and really enjoyed it. Just recently started playing it again doing endgame stuff, getting all the shelters to full star ratings. I find it a real zen experience now just delivering packages, building things for other players with all my upgraded stuff and fully rebuilt road system.

I wish they gave you the ability to listen to the unlocked songs on a music player while exploring out in the world MGSV style. (Unless I'm missing something). The game even blocks spotify while the game is on. So I cant even queue up the soundtrack that way. Bummer.
Is it for people who really like guided games? I hate the make your own fun and figure it out type games

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only general consensus that you could find about Death Stranding is that it is highly ambitious, very strange, the writing is sloppy, it looks great, it has some jank, and the asynchronous elements are excellent. Everything else is a huge tossup. It is a very divisive game and opinions swing wildly from person to person (more so than any other game that I can think of) when discussing it. I personally didn't always appreciate every element of it, but it is certainly very interesting. I think it is worth giving another shot, OP.

It's literally the game of the year for 2019 (by a narrow margin).

I have seen this statement a few times now and I have found it impossible to verify. Most of the sites I checked out gave their GotY to either Sekiro, Control, or Resident Evil 2. Is there are an aggregate list of GotY somewhere that I am missing? Or are you just saying that it is your personal GotY?

*edit*
I stopped being a dummy and did a search on ResetERA instead of on Google and I found it.

Last edited:

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Is it for people who really like guided games? I hate the make your own fun and figure it out type games
They main story is pretty guided. Go here do that. All the main missions and deliveries to progress the story are color coded. There is one particular moment towards the end of the game where you need to figure something out on your own...but should understand what needs to be done if you were paying attention to the story.

I will say if you are on the fence about playing it or not, I recommend playing it exclusively till you get through it all. Also, don't pay full price. Grab it on sale. Once you are done with it...you probably won't be playing it again. I'm the exception. Haha.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
It's a survival game mixed with a transportation simulator that isn't especially deep in either regard, married to the most batshit script Kojima's ever written. Some people dig the minimalism, but I finished the game wishing I'd spent fifty hours doing anything else.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Excellent game worth a purchase. Cutscenes are worth the price admission but the gameplay is also satisfying and layered.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I think the only general consensus that you could find about Death Stranding is that it is highly ambitious, very strange, the writing is sloppy, it looks great, it has some jank, and the asynchronous elements are excellent. Everything else is a huge tossup. It is a very divisive game and opinions swing wildly from person to person (more so than any other game that I can think of) when discussing it. I personally didn't always appreciate every element of it, but it is certainly very interesting. I think it is worth giving another shot, OP.

I have seen this statement a few times now and I have found it impossible to verify. Most of the sites I checked out gave their GotY to either Sekiro, Control, or Resident Evil 2. Is there are an aggregate list of GotY somewhere that I am missing? Or are you just saying that it is your personal GotY?

*edit*
I stopped being a dummy and did a search on ResetERA instead of on Google and I found it.

GAME OF THE YEAR PICKS BLOG

The Definitive Game of the Year

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Far as I can tell, there isn't one - Game is hugely divisive. Those that love it seem to truly love it, and people who dislike it seem to detest it.

Yeah, the only consensus is that there's no consensus. The game being divisive is the most universal comment I've seen about it; so much so that I don't have a clue whether I'd love or hate it myself.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasnt for me personally. I played about 15 hours of it, and i was into it for maybe about 5 of those

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Should have put a poll.

The general consensus amongst critics is favorable (83 opencritic), but it's also very divisive and most people love it or hate it.

I hated it until I got non-lethal weapons. Until then, I found it very overwhelming to deal with the Mules. My biggest criticism is how long it takes to get non-lethal weapons.

But once I got past that (and a few other minor issues), the game went on to be my GotY.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
The people that love it, I just dont see what they see. I want to though.

Get through the opening hours specifically to around chapter 3-5. The game opens up and comes together a lot more.

The first zone is intended to be a lot more droll to make the impact of the asynchronous collaboration and building up of your toolset in later chapters more impactful. Don't worry about side quests in the first zone, as I don't think there are any important upgrades there at all unlike later sections.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I played for a few hours and gave up. I see it just sitting there in my library and I feel like I need to revisit it to justify the purchase.

At what point does the game start to get better? Balancing packages and walking around BT areas just wasn't fun in the first few hours.
'Beautiful nonsense' is how I sum up my feelings about it. I dropped it once I got past "super slow repetitive invisible footprints" and hit the "balance absurd packages on back" part.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we could see a histogram of this game's review scores. I looked but doesn't seem like MC or OC offer that, just a histogram of where its average falls compared to other releases. It's gotta be one of the widest distributions of any major release ever.

As the statisticians say, it's not about the estimate, it's about the error in the estimate.

For whatever GOTYBlog is worth though, it got the most nods there.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
There is no consensus... people always use that word wrong.

Opinions are divided, but most people like it according to all data we have.

It was in our GOTY top 10, too.

^^^

Seems to be borne out by this thread, as well. I was too lazy to count but it's evident that most people posting in here liked it. Seems like a vocal hate minority situation.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I played for 2 hours (2 hours of game play) and gave up. I watched the cut scenes online during dinner over the course of a week. On the second day i almost completely forgot the main gameplay loop is essentially walking and traveling. You would think watching these fully fleshed out movie scenes that the gameplay could have been something so much more and that makes you a little sad.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
You have to establish that its a really different game from the pack. It gets better as you advance especially since they give u more means of transportation and more and more weapons, by the end youre almost as stacked in weapons as Solid Snake.