• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
The traditional Kojima 4th wall breaking.

Fastandfuriousperson: "Hey Sam, I need you to squeeze through those rocks. Wait! We are on the PS5, where the SSD can load up the next part immediately! You should just go through that door."

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like Ratchet & Clank showed, better graphics with ray-tracing and a bunch of things happening/objects moving on screen without lagging.

Also new games, including sequels that capture the above.

Sundrowned

Oct 27, 2017
MN
I'm excited for developers to innovate, create, and deliver their visions in ways they couldn't before, whatever that means.

In terms of practical things, minimal load times and generally improved performance/visuals.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I skipped the mid gen refresh so honestly I can't wait to see my current backlog looking and playing better on the new systems. I will also be getting a new OLED TV to coincide with the new consoles, so it should be a pretty exciting and noticeable upgrade all around.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please, please, please, please, PLEASE have some fuckin' environmental interactivity next gen???

I'm completely sick and tired of game worlds being 100% static outside of NPCs and enemies and a few lame props. Feels like we went literally nowhere since the release of Half-Life 2 (and Red Faction, for that matter). Sure, lots of graphical enhancements and lots of (very minor) gameplay refinements since, but where'd all the damn physics go?

Now that we have non-shit CPUs in next gen consoles there is literally no excuse. I can't really say I'm excited for it because I don't actually know if any devs will take advantage of it all, but it's my biggest hope for next gen that we finally see a return to all the fun experimental physics stuff we saw during the PS360 era. Fingers crossed, and all that.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
How game design might change in a few years.

Don't get me wrong, obviously devs will take advantage of the hardware from the start but every generation it takes a few years of experience for devs to fully realize their visions.

So I'll be excited to see what even 3rd party games look like in 2014-2015, gameplay-wise.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 since it's huge! *knee slap* :D

But really, the fast load times are what I'm really looking forward to.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
- Improved latency input. So many games this gen suffered from terrible input lag on consoles.
- Improved load times. I'm not so blind that I think loading will disappear entirely, but any improvement is welcome.
- Further proliferation of crossplay to keep more niche multiplayer games from dying after 3 months.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
as someone who will never get bored of open worlds it's GTAVI above all. new Elder Scrolls as well. my mind will be absolutely blown to smithereens a million times over.

and yea all the SSDs and ray traces and 4k's and such are cool and fun too.

a quiet console would be amazing too, would feel extremely sci-fi and next-gen coming from a launch PS4 Pro..

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Less losing times. I could careless who has the biggest and baddest rig, just give me a console with cartridge loading times.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
A big thing for me would be the option to select what I can download, MP, campaign or both. Then hopefully better games!

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hyped for the obvious upgrades but the most important for me is the change from HDD to SSD, fuck, hopefully we ain't get more shitshows like GTA5 5mins waits to load up from boot up to gameplay or the horrible load times for the GTAO component

Apr 3, 2020
I hope next generation means no more sacrificing level design for the sake of performance and for higher PQ.

Not opening heavy doors or moving through narrow corridors

If you refer to Fromsoftware's games ( actually I'm not sure if other games does this?), then you can expect them in next gen. I don't think they meant to hide loading, because when you back/restart the level, they still opened.

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I am very excited to see open worlds evolve with the SSDs and better CPUs. You can see the limits of current gen pretty clearly in the design I think, I wonder just how far next gen will push them.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
No loadingtimes is amazing, but the most exciting I am is how dull it is and I don't feel any incentive to buy a nextgen console.

so happy I can finally finish my backlog.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Excited for:
  • SSD
  • Decent CPU
  • Raytracing
Not excited for:
  • 30 fps targets
  • Timed exclusives
God I hope I'm wrong on the last two, but that Sony show and the last MS show didn't fill me with expectations of 60fps.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I don't mind load times if it means more interactive environments, as long as they're not like super long though.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
What I've been going on about since the speculation threads, suspend/resume of multiple games.

Most of the things I'm excited about revolve around the SSDs.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
* Rocket League at 4k 120hz Ultra
* COD Warzone with fancier graphics
* Star Wars Squadrens in VR
* Cyberpunk 2077 (not playing it until it's out on next-gen)
* Gran Turismo 7 (though not holding my breath, pessimistic about the release date)
* Having a quiet console. (my PS4 Pro isn't quiet)
* Minimal load times (even just on my old PS4 library)
* New Controller (with the new haptics and hopefully better battery life, better sounding 3.5mm output, and sticks that don't click in accidentally in a shootout - I'm sick of the DS4's shortcomings at this point)
* Graphical Improvements and performance improvements on PS4 games, mostly ones I haven't played. Lots of examples here.
* Better audio, enjoyed it on PSVR, noticeable upgrade, very 3d at times. It feels like audio hasn't moved much since the 360 came out (with admittedly awesome audio for the time). Looking forward to what 'better than PSVR' will be like.
* FRAME-RATE increases.
* Not so much the fancy new PS5 games with nice graphics - very little i'm interested in early on, so this isn't a high priority as the other things.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
The DualSense.

People downplay the significance of the adaptive triggers, but I think they'll be revolutionary in the same way that rumble feedback was back in the day.

It sounds like a small thing until you feel it and realize there's no reason to ever *not* have it again.

I can wait to feel the tension of my webs in Spider-Man, the resistance of my bowstring in Horizon, the changing terrain under my tread in Forza, and so on.

it will have wildly different applications from game to game and I can't wait to see how much more immersive it makes the overall experience

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
In the end it is always the new games for me that look jaw droppingly good. The fresh smell of a new generation and touching the plastic. The entire experience. Seeing it for the first time. Seeing the games run for the first time. Holding the controller and moving your character around in a brand new world that feels so different and the animations and graphics feel like nothing you have seen before.

In short : Freshly experiencing the generation shift

PS5 specifically :

- Playstation Single Player AAA Story Exclusive Games of course (main reason to buy a new console)
- Hyped for the super fast SSD. I already know the joy of an NVME SSD on my PC (Doom Eternal takes like 1-2 seconds. It is amazing)
- Playing my PS4 games on the PS5 without hassle. I can have only 1 system connected to my TV
- The new Controller. I have a feeling that it will be much better than I imagine.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
The controller and new Sony 1P AAA story games. Not a fan of Gran Turismo or the AA titles. I need the grandiose set pieces.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Shortened/no loading times, denser worlds, VRS/ML for quicker rendering and possibly much smaller package sizes.

Tetryl

Oct 25, 2017
Shorter loading times and multi-game suspend & resume. Love playing Forza Horizon, hate that initial load.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Probably ray tracing. Some of those reflective surfaces look amazing already

also a stronger switch k thnx bye

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
With the new generation upon us, there's a bunch to be excited about. Whether it be games, features, or technical improvements, there's always something that intrigues you more than anything else.

For me I'm extremely excited for load times being greatly reduced thanks to the SSD in the console, since load times are some of my biggest annoyances with console gaming (Looking at you, PS4 Prey) and I'm really looking forward to the improvements, as evidenced by the Ratchet and Clank gameplay.

Basically if I had to pick ONE thing it'd be better graphics. Without them there's no point to next gen.

But those are kind of a given so yeah, SSD for sure.

And close 2nd, the much more powerful CPU's.

I'm excited to see how fast everything will be in the UI and OS due to the SSD's and CPU's.

This is really a great gen in that we get two fundamental enhancement's like that. Sometimes we get none. I guess on the downside, we only got 2X ram, probably as a consequence of getting a crazy 16X last time.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Asset loading speed standards increasing means devs can allow you to travel further and faster. If there's anything I love in games, it's flying around at absurd speed, especially in open world games. But those two things don't mesh well, most open worlds fall apart with loading if you go too fast. I love Gravity Rush 2 but when pushed to its speed limit, texture loading can really struggle.

The idea that games can be designed to allow much more absurd, fast, or even instant movement thanks to faster asset loading means lots of potential for games with interesting and fun movement I'd love. I want to see what the more wild open world games like Gravity Rush, Just Cause and Spiderman can potentially be like in a world where it can be assumed everyone has SSDs.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
That we might get a new IP from ND at some point. A lot of the technologies I think we will get used to pretty quickly.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanna play my Sony cinematic games In higher quality, that's my only reason. Anything else that's cool is a bonus.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Give us a true generational shift in gameplay mechanics due to a better cpu. Some current gen games still feel like ps3/360 games playability wise.