• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Better turn based RPG for beginners?

• Nino Kuni Wrath Of The White Witch

Votes: 40 15.6%
  • Dragon Quest 11

Votes: 201 78.2%
  • Other

Votes: 16 6.2%

• Total voters

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Already got Kingdom Hearts. She loves that so I'm getting the melody rhythm game even though it's overpriced. :(

I don't like the character design of the main character in Atelier, way too fan servicey. Same reason I had to skip Trails of Mana remake, with most of the female characters looking like strippers for some reason.
FWIW, assuming you were looking at Atelier Ryza, the level of fanservice that character's design exhibits is somewhat of an outlier compared to other Atelier games' main characters.

That said, Dragon Quest XI is still way better than any Atelier game. Atelier's comfy, but it's firmly B tier at best.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Ni no Kuni isn't a terrible game but it's a slog from about midway through to the final boss.

Similarly, DQ11 is pretty good DQ, but goes on for a long time. Of the two DQ is probably the better answer.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019

Well, he would probably end up playing SwSh as his first RPG and... we wouldn't want to put the kid off the genre entirely now, would we?

OT: I don't think any of the two would work for a teenager they're too colorful and cheery, your best bet would be finding something with a little extra punch while also being age-appropriate (he'll go back to enjoying cheery things when he's older, like the rest of us)

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I love both dearly but NnK has some wild difficulty spikes throughout but DQXI stays pretty even without Draconian modifiers.

I'd say go with DQXI

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I think looking for something specifically for a "teen beginner" is not a good way to go. Teenagers aren't stupid, just worry about getting them a good quality game and they'll figure it out. I discovered RPGs with FFVII when I was 11 and I know many people did the same, and back then there was no internet guides and Youtube to look for help. We all did fine. Nobody needs a "My First RPG".

That said, I'd recommend DQXI for someone really new to video games in general, or very young. They could learn the free camera with it, while the turn based aspect makes it a no pressure game, and it's not too difficult to boot.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
I find Ni No Kuni overrated. It has a beautiful and charming look but the battles become a slog later on

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Dragon Quest is a really good intro. Combat starts very simple and gradually increases in complexity, and the party AI settings (particularly 'fight wisely') is pretty good too if you just want to let the computer handle everything else. It's gentle, funny, warm and I can't recommend it highly enough.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Here you go op. The perfect Starter rpg:
Costume Quest 1 & 2!

it's simple , the story is amazing and the gameplay is turn based and fire!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
One of my daughters played through our JRPG, Cosmic Star Heroine, in its entirety at a young age (I think she was 9 or 10 at the time). It has 4 difficulties adjustable at any time and the easiest one is extremely easy.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Neither NNK game should be anyone's first JRPG. Always DQ.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Go with Dragon Quest, Combat is easy for beginners and the game is not too complicated.
Nino Kuni is a Fantastic JRPG, but the Combat and system are somehow harder to learn.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
NNK is neither turn based nor good.

DQ11 is both. As has been mentioned, Pokemon would work too. What platforms do you have access to?

Jan 4, 2018
As another option:
World of Final Fantasy

It's not a "top anything JRPG of all time", but it's solid, charming and not too complicated, so it might be a good option for a first taste of the genre

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Well, he would probably end up playing SwSh as his first RPG and... we wouldn't want to put the kid off the genre entirely now, would we?
Did you mean this sarcastically or genuinely? It's honestly impossible to tell with Pokemon these days.

Anyway, SwSh is still a pretty great "beginner's first turn-based rpg" even if it isn't the best thing GameFreak out, it's still not the worst game they've made in the past 10 years.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I still think Final Fantasy USA/Final Fantasy Mystic Quest/Mystic Quest Legend on the SNES is the best beginners RPG ever. Teaches you a ton of the tropes of the time and is pretty easy. I think it was my first "proper" JRPG, though I'd already played Zelda 2 (which had rpg elements) and Swords & Serpents (which was a wrpg) on the NES.

Would love a remake of it. Had a killer soundtrack too.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Dragon Quest XI is better in every conceivable way (other than music I guess lol). So I would go with that.

OT: I don't think any of the two would work for a teenager they're too colorful and cheery, your best bet would be finding something with a little extra punch while also being age-appropriate (he'll go back to enjoying cheery things when he's older, like the rest of us)

Are you actually implying that a kid wouldn't love the heck out of a Pokemon game, more so something as accessible as Sword & Shield? Lol.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

I think for PS4 DQXI would be your best bet.

Be aware DQXIS comes out in a couple of months on the PS4. It's basically a rerelease with a graphical downgrade (as it's based on the switch version), and a big content/qol/music upgrade.
You can't buy one version & upgrade to the other as DQXIS uses a newer version of UE and SE didn't bother to upgrade the base PS4 version to it, so it's a choice.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I saw that, Amazon has it for sale for $40 while the original is $20. What's the difference, added DLC?
A few things: Definitive Edition lets you switch to the orchestrated soundtrack instead of the MIDI tracks (which is BIG!), adds new quests for each companion in the party, brings in added content that was originally only on the 3DS version of the game where you revisit the previous DQ games in 2D 16-bit perspective, lets you play the entire game in that 2D style if you wish, and finally randomly removes one minigame from the original version (the crossbow target hunting).

All the stuff added only exists in the Definitive Edition, and is not available as DLC. In fact, there was no substantial DLC for the original

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Would recommend Ni no Kuni over DQXI.

XI is very classic but the difficulty is a bit higher for first time RPG players. I think NnK is a little bit easier overall, even with a somewhat dumb AI

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Go for Ni No Kuni. As great as DQ11 is, it's one hell of a deep dive for somebody just starting RPGs.

Other than these, Alliance Alive could be a really nice introductory RPG.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I find DQXI easier, some of the bossses are a pain in the arse in NNK. I really enjoy them both, but think XI is more accessible.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, Ni No Kuni is not a turn based game. It was fine, definitely wore out its welcome by the second half though. Never played the sequel.

If you're actually looking for a turn based game then Dragon Quest is the choice based on your options.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Neither of them have complicated mechanics, and while DQ is generally tough, 11 is the easiest one, it's very mild on normal difficulty.

So DQ11 just because it's a miles better game. Ni no Kuni is good too, but it's no DQ.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think for PS4 DQXI would be your best bet.

Be aware DQXIS comes out in a couple of months on the PS4. It's basically a rerelease with a graphical downgrade (as it's based on the switch version), and a big content/qol/music upgrade.
... that's the strangest thing I ever heard. Why couldn't they just add the orchestral soundtrack to the version they already released two years ago?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
... that's the strangest thing I ever heard. Why couldn't they just add the orchestral soundtrack to the version they already released two years ago?

The changes were a lot more substantial then just an orchestral soundtrack:

www.gematsu.com

Dragon Quest XI S – list of additional elements and improvements, DLC ‘Voice Drama’ and more detailed

Square Enix shared the list of additional elements and improvements in Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition during a live stream held earlier today, as well as det…

It's a bit of a long story, but to try to cut it short, Square Enix put a _ton_ of work into making DQXI work on the Switch. My understanding is they updated it to the latest version of UE4 for performance improvements. They then redid some of the objects & textures to make them less resource heavy. They then made all the additions - the extra game content, 2D mode, the Orchestral soundtrack, all the little QOL things etc.

So SE's choice would have been either to try and add all the additions to the earlier PS4 project files from before they redid the textures (which as you can see from the linked site is a ton of changes to do), or to just port the switch version back to PS4, which would take far less time. And they chose the latter so the PS4 version of XIS will basically be the switch version including the altered textures and objects (probably at a higher framerate & resolution of course).