• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Better turn based RPG for beginners?

• Nino Kuni Wrath Of The White Witch

Votes: 40 15.6%
  • Dragon Quest 11

Votes: 201 78.2%
  • Other

Votes: 16 6.2%

• Total voters

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking for a turn based RPG that's suitable for teenagers. Not into them myself but don't want to limit genres to someone getting into gaming.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
For teenagers?

I mean, you just described pretty much the entire JRPG genre. I started playing Final Fantasy games when I was like, 7. It's generally a genre marketed towards teens.

Just out of the title I'd probably pick DQXI though.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Id say Dragon Quest XI out of those two choices. Pretty straight forward battle system and the difficulty isnt punishing. Plus the look of the game would be good for a younger person.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely DQXI - it is far and away a better game, and the gameplay is a much more classical jumping off point.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
DQ Is very accessible, Ni no kuni is a bit complicated but I think a teenager can get it. Pokémon is the big standard bare bones rpg

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't even like Dragon Quest but I'd say go for it over Ni no Kuni

Absolute mess of a battle system despite how lovely the visuals and music are

Is the original Nino Kuni game difficult?
Yeah like another poster said, obtuse. And difficulty spikes. I wouldn't call it hard exactly but just sloppily balanced

NNK2 is super easy though

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
DQXI is easy and lovely from start to finish. Ni No Kuni starts very slow, so if he doesn't get into it right away, he'd probably abandon it, but the story and characters are great too.

Both have a great story, both have great characters, both have great gameplay, but I'd go with DQXI.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
dq11 is dripping with charm, is expansive, not mechanically overwhelming. but it can be a bit difficult at times. something to note. also the team is all AI controlled unless you set them to take orders so it might help with decision making.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already gave them that game last year, but only because it was action based and I figured that would be easier. Also the remake wasn't available for cheap yet. This year though I figured my own bias also played into that decision, so it's a choice between getting the companion game to something she already has, or Dragon Quest that's heralded as one of the best examples of the genre.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm going to give an obtuse answer and say that I think I would have enjoyed Ni No Kuni more when I was younger and that I'm pleased I discovered Dragon Quest properly later in life.

Dragon Quest's gameplay is more accessible, but Ni No Kuni has more childlike wonder. Dragon Quest is vastly better written though for the most part.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest XI is the more accessible, straight forward and enjoyable game.

Ni No Kuni 1 has lots of charm and has more gameplay problems, but I always recommend it.

Ni No Kuni 2 is a trash fire.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Pokemon might've been a good answer a decade ago, but it's barely even an RPG these days. Dragon Quest III was right there alongside early Pokemon games as one of my RPG entry points, so I'd say Dragon Quest XI is the safest bet. The DQ series hasn't strayed as far as Pokemon... In fact it has hardly strayed at all, aside from dramatically improved presentation (except the music).

DQ's basically the most vanilla JRPG experience, and I mean that in a good way.

Oct 25, 2017
DQXI, it's not even close.

The other thing I will say is that I'd wait for the Definitive Edition which is only on Switch atm.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I love Ni No Kuni but I can see people wants to quit after a while. Its very frustrated to play, ai is that stupid.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I already gave them that game last year, but only because it was action based and I figured that would be easier. Also the remake wasn't available for cheap yet. This year though I figured my own bias also played into that decision, so it's a choice between getting the companion game to something she already has, or Dragon Quest that's heralded as one of the best examples of the genre.

What about Persona 5 Royal? I don't know what prices are you considering for the other games but while Royal is bit more dark than those other two it's still for teenag... yeah no, I don't think that's a good idea lol

If she already played NNKII then maybe you should try with DQXI, is an easy game and fun.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I wish your kid good luck in the future defending the soundtrack of DQXI because of nostalgia.

Do you really want to put that burden onto him?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Dragon Quest XI is great.

People recommending pokemon... good god. Pokemon is horrible these days. Boring as fuck, tired gameplay, dull stories. Nah.

Dragon Quest XI has some tedious reused music from past games, but if its your first outing you wont know.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Both of my teens loved DQ11 (they were like 11-14 at the time they played it). Probably their first real RPG, exempting a few 3ds games like Fantasy Life.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not for a 12 year old lol.

Her brother is 16 and I am pondering if to give him Persona 5 Royal 5 or wait till next year. I need to finish a playthrough/ walkthrough of the game just to check everything before I decide.

A 12 year girl?

Wouldn't the Atelier series be a good idea?

It's not turn based but you may also want to look into Kingdom Hearts.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A 12 year girl?

Wouldn't the Atelier series be a good idea?

It's not turn based but you may also want to look into Kingdom Hearts.
Already got Kingdom Hearts. She loves that so I'm getting the melody rhythm game even though it's overpriced. :(

I don't like the character design of the main character in Atelier, way too fan servicey. Same reason I had to skip Trails of Mana remake, with most of the female characters looking like strippers for some reason.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Already got Kingdom Hearts. She loves that so I'm getting the melody rhythm game even though it's overpriced. :(

I don't like the character design of the main character in Atelier, way too fan servicey. Same reason I had to skip Trails of Mana remake, with most of the female characters looking like strippers for some reason.
Check the Atelir Dusk trilogy. The design is much better IMO

Ni no kuni isn't trun based btw.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I enjoy NNK's combat, despite the terrible ally AI. Not turn based tho.

DQXI is pretty safe.

What platforms? Maybe something like FFVIII/IX/X. Or even VII tho newcomers tend to not like the early PS1 graphics lol