• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
TV I own - TCL P65 55". I currently run the PS4 HDMI to my TV and then optical out from TV to sound system
Sound system I own - logitech Z-5500 5.1 system.

go with a new TV prepped for future next-gen consoles or a better system (receive, soundbar etc). Don't worry about cost atm.

Oct 26, 2017
I may be wrong but isn't the PS5's 3D audio going to be working with headsets from the start with support for other things coming later? Could be that a decent headset will give you a lot of bang for your buck sound wise so the TV would be the better option in that scenario.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really concerned about burn in
I've had an LG B6 since mid 2017 and I've had no problems. I've left static UIs up for over an hour at a time with no issue, though the TV does dim after a time when it isn't being used. Even some older stuff on the Mister like NES games with the top UI always there.

I can't vouch for every TV out there, but that's my experiences. I've been fairly lazy about leaving things on screen too, like when I make a sandwich or let the dog out.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Really concerned about burn in
Burn in is no where near the issue it was years ago. Tech in modern TV accounts for burn in and does things to avoid that. Even if you get mild burn in after leaving something static up for a long period of time, a simple screen wipe video running for a few hours usually does the job.

I wouldn't be at all concerned about burn in for TVs made within the past few years. Unless you're buying a TV from 2007 you should be good.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Burn in is no where near the issue it was years ago. Tech in modern TV accounts for burn in and does things to avoid that. Even if you get mild burn in after leaving something static up for a long period of time, a simple screen wipe video running for a few hours usually does the job.

I wouldn't be at all concerned about burn in for TVs made within the past few years. Unless you're buying a TV from 2007 you should be good.

People can and do get burn-in on modern OLEDs. It's inherent to the technology, you can do things to mitigate it but it will happen eventually.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
People can and do get burn-in on modern OLEDs. It's inherent to the technology, you can do things to mitigate it but it will happen eventually.
You really have to try hard to get burn in on your TV these days. I watch Twitch on my TCL from 2018 constantly and there should theoretically be a permanent chat box imprinted into my screen, but there's nothing. Sometimes I fall sleep with the TV on with a menu up, etc.

Compared to previous my TV from 2011, it might as well be completely burn in proof.

Maybe if you went in and turned off all of the burn-in preventing features.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
You really have to try hard to get burn in on your TV these days. I watch Twitch on my TCL from 2018 constantly and there should theoretically be a permanent chat box imprinted into my screen, but there's nothing. Sometimes I fall sleep with the TV on with a menu up, etc.

Compared to previous my TV from 2011, it might as well be completely burn in proof.

Maybe if you went in and turned off all of the burn-in preventing features.

Your TCL? Does TCL make OLEDs?

OLED is the only modern panel type that can get permanent burn-in.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Your TCL? Does TCL make OLEDs?

OLED is the only modern panel type that can get permanent burn-in.
I think even a 2020/2019 OLED shouldn't be too bad with burn in.

No I was not figuring in that OLEDs had burn in issues when traditional HD sets really didn't have the problem any more. I guess as long as you're careful it shouldn't be a huge issue.