• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

So what is it?

• XII

Votes: 44 12.4%
  • IX

Votes: 47 13.2%
  • VI

Votes: 42 11.8%
  • XIV

Votes: 90 25.4%
  • Tactics

Votes: 94 26.5%
  • Other

Votes: 38 10.7%

• Total voters

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think X has the best story, while XII has the best moment-to-moment writing. Best combination of the two would be Tactics, followed by IX.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
FFXII is second to none in terms of themes. It's an entire examination of freedom, power, family and free will. It is extremely consistent at that all throughout without fail. You can't take that away from the game. It literally only speaks about that.

That may be so, but the characters aren't compelling at all.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
10 followed by 9.

Tactics has a pretty interesting story too but I don't think either translation is good.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Tactics and the others are not even close.
From what I played of it, FFXIV is pretty good when it comes to writing

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Tactics, XII, and most of XIV, in that order IMO.

That isn't to say that the lesser quality of writing in the others makes them bad, though. I like most FF games story-wise and character-wise to be honest, but that's my top 3, and I'd say those top 3 actually do a much better job of really laying the groundworks for the way their worlds work and the way characters exist within them, or just do a good job of evoking a genuinely strong emotional response to characters and events in a level that the others don't quite match up to.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
12 has the best dialogue and premise but the game complety drops the ball on the characters and story.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
It's XII for me for sure, best quality writing and themes. Characters are great actually, Balthier, Fran, Ashe, and Basch are excellent and they are at the front of the story. There are other cool characters as well.

X? I think that game has a good story but characters are too dumb imo and copy pasted from previous FF.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
IX for me, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and the Active Time Events are witty and fun. Feels magical at times, with the themes of memories and life. I loved the themes of VII and X but of course the execution is a bit sloppy. XII has wonderful dialogue but is underdeveloped. VI has some terrible dialogue "what is love?" and I think there's too many characters, to say it's the best.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Why Delita and Ovelia stab each other to death in the epilogue
Ovelia realizes that she's just another tool for Delita, and in her anger tries to stab him (earlier in the game he sweet talks her into thinking the opposite). Delita, presumably as a reaction to being stabbed, stabbed her in return and killed her.

There's some theories that say he killed her to wipe out any loose ends since she knows the truth, but personally speaking that's a bit of a reach.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Tactics, with War of the Lions being the top of the top. Bar none.

For me, FF12 is next.
The world is incredibly rich and the dialogue compelling, Just could use more character moments IMO

there's a lot of FF that I love but few other stands out to me as "great writing," even though I enjoy many characters and worlds tho

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
Tactics has the best story and best writting for me. VI is probably the second best written, with a solid story. X has a really great story hindered by rather poor writting.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Time warping to 1991 FF4's is great. The problem is that viewing it now, especially having played any other games after, a lot of the plot points and twits and contrivances have been done to death when they were all rather fresh at the time.

Otherwise, for now, FFXIV and, honestly, FFX.

May 10, 2019
As far as overall narrative and worldbuilding, I'm pretty much in the Tactics and XII camp. VI is pretty close behind, but I'm also incredibly self aware of how much nostalgia I have for it. There's just so many characters in the game that looking back, it's hard to sort of feel an attachment to any of them, I think? It's almost like a Robert Altman film, trying to get all these people in (PCs and NPCs), and it kind of pulls the backdrop down a bit. The second half really rescues it though.

But when it comes to actual character development and the construction and importance of relationships in a game, well, this is the reason I absolutely adore XV and I haven't seen a mainline FF come close in this detail alone - although X and X-2 (and again, Tactics) are very good in this regard.

ADDENDUM: With XIII, I'd like to give recognition to with characters because the build to the finale created such a good feeling - but the pacing and narrative in the first half really bogs down the characters really becoming who they are until about Chapter 9-10, when your group reunites. It's a shame that its' design was so backloaded because once it gets close to opening up, it's almost like it's another game entirely.

Last edited:

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics is the best overall written while VII has the most coolest writing for the game.

sephiroth7x

Nov 2, 2017
In terms of pure writing (not taking into account the actual story, pacing etc. and JUST the writing) IX is difficult to beat. It may not be the best in terms of story, twists, pacing or anything like that, but its actual writing is really well done.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
XIV, for plot and localisation. It's rare to see such eloquence and verbosity in this medium.

XII and Tactics are worthy runner-ups.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Tactics by a mile.

IX is great too, it has a lot of feely moments and they are all very well done. It's hard to not get absorbed by its amazing world.

But Tactics, man, Tactics.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I'm playing FFX right now: not that one, that's for fucking sure.

I'd say FFXV.

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play many FF, but from what I played, I feel in my guts that the answer is Tactics.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Tactics, 9, Shadowbringers(kind of cheating since it doesn't work without the setup before but also the setup parts aren't that great), 6.

Exist 2 Inspire