• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

So what is it?

• XII

Votes: 44 12.4%
  • IX

Votes: 47 13.2%
  • VI

Votes: 42 11.8%
  • XIV

Votes: 90 25.4%
  • Tactics

Votes: 94 26.5%
  • Other

Votes: 38 10.7%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Tactics's plot and narrative never ceases to excite me.

the ending is amazing. I still remember the twist at the end of act 1 and my 13 year old self was flipping out.

tactics, 12, 7 (story wise I think it's solid with great characters and the "wacky" late gen stuff isn't fucking stupid like 8 and 9 were), 9 has great characters and the first two discs are outstanding then it falls to shit.

FFX would be okay if Tidus wasn't a whiny twat that said "my old man" so much

GhaleonQ

Jan 14, 2018
IX's one of my very favorite video games and it nearly tops my answer when it goes totally existential at the end. That the game became about Final Fantasy while still being ostensibly about the characters and main game plot was miraculous, so the final boss sequence is one of my favorite ever. The wonderful tight-loose pacing, extraordinary set pieces, and all-time best cast grant it a charm all its own.

That said, it's clearly Tactics: War Of The Lions. I don't even like those types of plots or characters, and, as a really religious person, I really wanted some heroes within the Church. Nevertheless, it's one of gaming's best stories, perfectly parceled out so that the twists land with gusto. The dread and desperation I felt between and during battles dirtied the game's formal whites. It works in a way that requires no player assumptions, and, bonus, it melds with the gameplay quite well.

I'd say War Of The Lions, IX, VI, XIV, II.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
honestly ff16 might have the same issue the other sp ff games have. yes its the hevenward team, but they were able to work with a cast set up in arr. at this point I am convinced ff games dont work well as 1 and done adventures.
I'm not really so sure. Heavensward and onwards made quite a few deliberate changes to the ARR cast to make them more interesting. A lot of the rote JRPG tropes that they started with got discarded or written away, and replaced with better personality traits.

I get the impression that the writers had to make an effort to undo what ARR did to a lot of the cast in order to get good characters.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
My vote is FFVI and Tactics. But if I had to pick only one I'd say FFVI. There is so much subtle story telling going on between the various playable characters. The themes are decently mature without being overtly heavy or cringy. The fact that your imagination plays a large part in the story telling helps a lot in my opinion.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
The excellent finale of FFXIV Shadowbringers was just released last week with 5.3 and it's still fresh in people mind that I'd say most people who finished it would say XIV is the best.

And yes, XIV is the best

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely Tactics, no question. It's not just that the characters all have their own consistent voices and the interplay between them is exciting; the game is brilliantly paced and structured from start to finish.

Long-winded commentary on runners-up follows:
VI has some amazing moments, and tons of its design decisions are all about getting the player to love the characters. The first half of the game is actually pretty damn well written, IMO; I think the World of Ruin is brilliant in a lot of ways but the writing fell off a bit there (with some exceptions, many scenes have characters spout generic dialogue written for any character to speak the lines, because you could bring nearly any party to that scene). It's still an excellent leap forward for the series when it comes to storytelling and juggling a large cast.

X does fantastically well with its core protagonists; I think it's one of the games where the design of the world really felt like the writers came first. Almost every single boss fight is tied directly into the storytelling somehow (this is hardly standard for FF outside of Tactics); the cast is just the right size and the core throughlines of the story are so strong that watching them debate their different points of view on this or that feels compelling and true to what you've seen of those characters. I think it runs into some problems toward the very end of the game, if only because it *really* becomes the Tidus/Yuna/Auron show and everyone else sort of stops having anything to say. I think FFX would have benefited immensely from a Chrono Trigger-style "one major fully-produced endgame/postgame sidequest per character" approach instead of those awful minigames.

XII has an absolutely stellar *localization*, and the massive amounts of lore in the Bestiary are an utter delight, but the structure of the story becomes a little bit disjointed, and one gets the sense that there's a lot going on offscreen that we never really get to see. Still, the quality of the localization and some of the voice acting is high enough to make this one pretty compelling in spite of its flaws.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think people understand how fucking good shadowbringers is. Like...its fucking incredible. The story is amazing. The music slaps. the world is great and inventive. Its just ..fucking awesome.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It felt like them saying "No, this wasn't a fluke. Watch us do it again."
yoshi-p and Natsuko Ishikawa (shadowbringers lead writter) should 100% get to lead their own project.

for some context of just how much people love the story she wrote a literal standing ovation at pax west last year

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Tactics and 12. The original Tactics translation was pretty bad but somehow idiot teen me figured it all out. Thankfully they fixed it in later versions. 12's story might not be the strongest once the sinister plot is revealed but holy hell is that localization amazing and its sense of world building is quite amazing
This where I'm at. Ffxii's plot is not always the best but the writing is pretty rad. Tactics is the best FF in almost all respects.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
X and X-2, easily for me. XII has the best localisation and dialogue but the actual story being constructed is one of the series worst so it just can't hang. VIII also gets a nice respectable runners up space for me.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
IX of the ones I've played. IX and VI are probably the only Final Fantasy games I've played where I felt the stories were real good, and it's a pretty tough choice. VII has a decent story. X is below average, the XIII trilogy started out okay and got really really bad with each additional game, VIII's is really bad. Looking forward to playing through XII and Tactics as they've been in my backlog. Also looking forward to getting deeper into XIV. Only been playing for about a week and I'm really enjoying the game, but the story up to where I am (at about lvl 35 in-game) has been pretty bad, but I hear it gets really great with the expansions.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Tactics and XII. Honorary mention to V for going all in on the sillies and it works.

Most of the games have interesting worlds and setups, but even the best ones (including FFT and XII) drop the ball once the plot inevitably goes all in on "get crystal and kill bad guy"

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Mad respect to all the people saying VI but if I were being objective and looking at writing quality alone?

Tactics. It's Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
12 by FAR.
It's so much better that 2nd place is not even close imo.
I've not played much of 14 so it could be a contender.

I also liked the writing in FF6 (3 in the west), FF9, and FF10.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tactics (WotL) and Shadowbringers are almost objectively the best. Shoutout to Heavensward, XII and VII (original, Japanese version), though.

The worst is XIII and its offspring. By a large margin.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The excellent finale of FFXIV Shadowbringers was just released last week with 5.3 and it's still fresh in people mind that I'd say most people who finished it would say XIV is the best.

And yes, XIV is the best
5.3 is the finale to the story arc? Good to know.

I'm just getting back into it after finishing 5.0.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Most of the games have interesting worlds and setups, but even the best ones (including FFT and XII) drop the ball once the plot inevitably goes all in on "get crystal and kill bad guy"

I'd argue that FFT actually delivered.

No argument from me on XII. It's insane how it starts to poke at something really interesting and ambitious in the very final hours of the game, only to vaporize into "defeat badman, save world". I remember the stories of its troubled development, and when I finally played it I was happy to see that it didn't seem obviously worse for wear. Then the story withered and died with incredible haste. That was a real moment of recognition.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Echoing most of the thread here in saying Tactics, VI, and XIV. XII is up there too.

VII's story is actually complete nonsense, but in the best possible way.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
It's clear the game spoke to people so I'll take the blame here, but I didn't see any of that. I know it's a meme to just call it Star Wars but really everything felt very generic in it's writing to me. It's one of my least favorite FFs. I definitely need to give it another go at some point though, it's possible I went in with expectations of it being something else.

I would say however that "second to none in terms of themes" in a series with FFVII, a game that deals with identity, the sense of self, and dealing with grief, is a bold statement. VII puts themes above everything.

FFXII is the very first FF that I have played that failed to inflict any emotional impact whatsoever in terms of story and characters. When it ended, all I could say was Huh, is that it? It just felt overall very flat to me.

As for the topic, FFXIV no question.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
6 is my favorite cast and story but everybody saying 14 is making me want to slog through the mmo leveling grind to see.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Ah, so it's the story lead-in to the next expansion?
They pretty much wrapped up everything from the Shadowbringers MSQ in this patch and tease a bit of what's to come with the sort of end credit cutscene (there's no credit). The actual lead-in to the next expansion should start with 5.4.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Judging from this thread I don't play these games for the writing lol.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tactics, 12 (mainly dialogue, the story itself is a little thin), and XIV's 2 good expansions.

7R did a good job of making (most of) their modern characters actually speak like humans finally though.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
10 for me, despite some janky dialogue and convoluted storytelling in places, this game still has the best/most interesting world building and most likable cast. It all just feels so unique and memorable, and man, that ending....

Also shoutout to 15 for being a fragmented, undercooked, barely coherent mess for most of its playtime, yet still managing to pull off an incredible last 2 hours and making me cry. I will miss my boys.

12 was a disappointment for me, great dialogue writing for sure but the characters didn't do much for me, and the story just whimpers out - FF without a cathartic finale is just... weird

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
FFIX, FFVI, FFXII and FFXVI and the 4 best written ones. If we wanna throw in spinoffs then Tactics as well.