• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

So what is it?

• XII

Votes: 44 12.4%
  • IX

Votes: 47 13.2%
  • VI

Votes: 42 11.8%
  • XIV

Votes: 90 25.4%
  • Tactics

Votes: 94 26.5%
  • Other

Votes: 38 10.7%

• Total voters

Theworld

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 6, 2020
Tactics, especially if those wonderful directed cutscenes that add so much to the atmosphere.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
IX For sure. It's not the most nuanced story but the actual dialogue is on point the whole time. Character development is fantastic as well.

Tactics is good in a "Medievil dirty politics" kind of way but I don't really care about any of the characters other than Delita so I can't rate it too highly.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Tactics, 12, 9, 6 in that order.

If I ever get to play 14 in a way that doesn't take 700 hours of MMO gameplay maybe I'll find out how good it is and enjoy it.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying XII (Zodiac Age), and now that I'm older and more patient, I'm loving the story. Also the voice acting is fantastic. Way better than some of the later installments.

Though Tactics is the best one.

Looking at the XIV answers, I need to get on that. The work from home schedule gives me a lot of time to explore it.

OP
OP
cvbas

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I figured IX and XII would get a lot of votes, but I'm very curious to try XIV now.
How much would I lose by playing it by myself? My friends don't have the free time necessary for a game like it right now.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figured IX and XII would get a lot of votes, but I'm very curious to try XIV now.
How much would I lose by playing it by myself? My friends don't have the free time necessary for a game like it right now.
The game completely soloable (im a sense). Everything is puggable except for the hardest content.

You'll need to run dungeons/trials with people, but you can just queue up and go along for the ride with some strangers.

Better yet, playing by yourself might let you find an FC (guild) that really jives with you

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Its extremely solo friendly. Everything except dungeons is done solo. Hell in Shadowbringers they made it so you can do dungeons with story NPC's that have their own dialogue and scripted movement. But you can only do dungeons with NPC's in Shadowbringers dungeons onward.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Who'd have thought an MMO would have the best writing in a long running series like FF.
Though personally I'd only put Shadowbringers at the top, followed by Heavensward alongside the likes of Tactics, XII and VI.
Stormblood and ARR with the rest of the series.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you want to focus on a single game then don't go with FF XIV. It will take you hundreds and hundreds of hours till you play all of the expansions (which are the best part, since the base game has only an okay story). Go with the single player FFs first.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Its extremely solo friendly. Everything except dungeons is done solo. Hell in Shadowbringers they made it so you can do dungeons with story NPC's that have their own dialogue and scripted movement. But you can only do dungeons with NPC's in Shadowbringers onward.
yup only dungeons/trails require other players. though fair warnning from start all the way through shadowbringer (just doing the main quests only) will run like 300 hours, though its totaly worth it.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who'd have thought an MMO would have the best writing in a long running series like FF.
Though personally I'd only put Shadowbringers at the top, followed by Heavensward alongside the likes of Tactics, XII and VI.
Stormblood and ARR with the rest of the series.
To be fair, 11 also had better writing than most of the series. Its just wholly unapproachable for most even now.

FF just seems at home with the MMO formula

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also going to have to go with Shadowbringers. Emet Selch is the best villain in recent memory, and easily the best in FF

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue FFXIV Shadowbringers and Heavensward. Both have main stories that are just as good, if not better, than mainline FF games. The endgame raid stories (coil of Bahamut, Alexander, etc.) are generally excellent as well.

ARR is kind of super rote/mediocre JRPG stuff, and Stormblood is solid but noticeably not as interesting as Shadowbringers/Heavensward.

What happened with Shadowbringers is that the dev team had a writer who was originally tasked to write one of the job questlines (dark knight), and that questline quickly became considered by the community to be the best job quest in the game. She was then tasked to write the entire Shadowbringers campaign, and it's... fucking... awesome. She knocked it right out of the park.

I think the game is generally pretty social, so it can get quite boring for the first bit when played alone, especially through ARR (the first main story quest). The fact that a lot of jobs don't really get going until level 40+ and the game eases you into its mechanics extremely slowly doesn't help this fact.

The questing part of the main story is mostly played solo, with fairly regular instances where the story takes you into a dungeon or boss fight (which requires a group of 4 or 8 people). Group content-wise, there are matchmaker and party joining tools that will match you with people if you don't know anyone, and Shadowbringers straight up has a bot system for its dungeons if you really don't want to deal with humans. The bots play slower than humans though, so your dungeon runs will be noticeably longer, but possibly more stable.

You can get to know people pretty easily in-game, though. Community-wise, the game is generally much more mature and welcoming than most other MMOs I've played for some reason. More diverse, too. It has its share of assholes for sure, but they seem less common somehow. A lot of the time, you could go into a party finder group for a particular boss, and if the fight works out well, then you might want to trade contact info and hit them up later if you want to run something else. The game is very friendly with social tools such as communication channels (called linkshells) and cross-server, cross-platform partying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cvbas

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If you want to focus on a single game then don't go with FF XIV. It will take you hundreds and hundreds of hours till you play all of the expansions (which are the best part, since the base game has only an okay story). Go with the single player FFs first.
Oh yeah I know, but there's something appealing on just taking a huge MMO that I can play on my PC while talking to my friends or listening to music. I still plan to get a SP one pretty soon (probably XII) but maybe I'll also give XIV a shot sometime.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, 11 also had better writing than most of the series. Its just wholly unapproachable for most even now.

FF just seems at home with the MMO formula

I think there is an inate power in long form story telling with an actual consistent character and investment and world that isn't trying to subvert itself in numbered sequels.

Jun 20, 2019
I would agree with Tactics, XIV, and XII. In that order. They have a stronger sense of place and culture than other FF games and the characters seem much more tightly bound to their circumstances.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowbringers.
The only other FF games I've played are Crystal Chronicles and Bravely Default.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Even if the last third takes a weird direction plot-wise, the actual dialogue and characterization in 12 is still miles ahead of nearly every other game in the series. It's the way I always wanted Final Fantasy to grow up.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda sad that the best two stories in the last 20 years are both MMOs and before that was Tactics.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFXI's story and characters are actually really, really good, but it's also hella inaccessible to most, and most people in 2020 are not going to fuck with how it's told even if they trek into it, lol.

It's unfortunate.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV: Shadowbringers

I couldn't even bring myself to finish XV and it's garbage ass teen writing after playing that.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that kinda undersells the mmos, dont you think? Shadowbringers isnt good "for an mmo", its one of the better RPG stories in general.

The MMOs have been great, and XIV is my favorite jrpg story in a long time. I'm just pointing out the fact that their mainline, single-player games, which is what the series is known for, have been pretty awful in comparison.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
The MMOs have been great, and XIV is my favorite jrpg story in a long time. I'm just pointing out the fact that their mainline, single-player games, which is what the series is known for, have been pretty awful in comparison.
ff games tend to ape anime/menga. the issue is ff games (exuding the mmos) tend to be 1 and dond adventures, where the thing its aping are manny adventures before the end, so you can build relationships between the cast.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Heartwarming to see all the XIV replies. Heavensward and Shadowbringers truly are incredible.

This is one of the reasons why people should also get excited for XVI coming from these guys.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Heartwarming to see all the XIV replies. Heavensward and Shadowbringers truly are incredible.

This is one of the reasons why people should also get excited for XVI coming from these guys.
honestly ff16 might have the same issue the other sp ff games have. yes its the hevenward team, but they were able to work with a cast set up in arr. at this point I am convinced ff games dont work well as 1 and done adventures.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
VI may appear imperfect and naive, etc.. But it's still the FF with the strongest characters and the most mature messages.