• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The best route in Persona 3 Portable is

• the original MC route

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • the female MC route

Votes: 57 54.8%
  • neither, they're both good

Votes: 16 15.4%

• Total voters

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
So, I'm (mostly done) with Persona 4 Golden. As soon as the quarantine is over here in France, I'll dive into Persona 5 Royal, but until then I want to try Persona 3 Portable. So, there are two routes, and as far as I've googled, the FeMC route has additional QoL features and new scenes that the original MC route hasn't. I've also read that it's better for a New Game +, except I'm not really sure it's the game I'll NG+ (I love P4G but there are so many games out there, I won't NG+ that one either). Also, not sure about the neon pink UI.

Soooo which one would you advise me to pick?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm (mostly done) with Persona 4 Golden. As soon as the quarantine is over here in France, I'll dive into Persona 5 Royal, but until then I want to try Persona 3 Portable. So, there are two routes, and as far as I've googled, the FeMC route has additional QoL features and new scenes that the original MC route hasn't. I've also read that it's better for a New Game +, except I'm not really sure it's the game I'll NG+ (I love P4G but there are so many games out there, I won't NG+ that one either).

Soooo which one would you advise me to pick?

The quality of life features are present on both routes in Persona 3 Portable, so don't worry about this.

If this is your first time playing Persona 3, pick whichever protagonist suits your fancy. While there are unique scenarios for each protagonist, neither is really better than the other for your first time experience.

Grugga Pug

Nov 5, 2017
I think you can do FeMC and get the main story generally the same way.

Plus, the additional music on that route is sooooooo good.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
FeMC squad, where you at?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
If you are only going to play it once, you should play as the FeMC- the Male MC story/social links will feel very primative compared to Persona 4's, while the FeMC route is significantly better done, because it was their third attempt at one of these (it came after Persona 4).

OP
OP
DrHercouet

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Plus, the additional music on that route is sooooooo good.
This is a VERY compelling argument.

FeMC as MC is the main reason P3P is one of my favorite games ever.
If you are only going to play it once, you should play as the FeMC- the Male MC story/social links will feel very primative compared to Persona 4's, while the FeMC route is significantly better done, because it was their third attempt at one of these (it came after Persona 4).
I didn't know it came after Persona 4 but yeah, makes sense! Let's go FeMC then! I'm still not sure about the pink UI though, definitely giving it a shot though :)

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Female. I generally like the writing for her chapter more and they got rid of some social links I hated (Goumat King) and replaced them with the male party members whom should been S-Link in the first place. You do get the questionable Ken stuff through.

OP
OP
DrHercouet

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Oct 26, 2017
I would strongly consider importing a save file that beat the game first so that you can go and 100% everything in your own run. Also makes it a lot of fun.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I played through with the male FC and then NG+ with female MC, although I never did finish it a second time.

FeMC route has this track though, which just fills me with so much nostalgia...

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
For me, FeMC still has the best written social links out of P3/P4/P5, so definitely joining in the recommendations for that route.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The FeMC route is VASTLY superior, its not even funny
The annoying ass social links from the male route replaced by far more bearable people, you can actually be friends (and just friends) with both male and female companions, she's not such a debbie downer about everything...
There's little to no reason to play P3P and not play FEMC. if you want to play the male route, play FES.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I started twice with the male protagonist because everyone recommended it for new players, but I couldn't get into the game at all because I frankly think the male protag has the personality and charisma of a sack of flour. Third attempt I started with the female protagonist and absolutely loved it.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The writing for the original male MC is legitimately bad in a lot of cases. If you care about social links at all then don't bother with him.
FeMC is great. She has all new social links, much longer ones at that, and can actually make friends with her teammates.

Plus the way he's written, the MC comes across as almost a psychopath.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Delete it and play P3FES.

If P3P is your only choice, then go with FeMC, as it is undeniably better written. I do wonder if it a good way to experience Persona 3 for the first time, as it's always been the alternate/non-canonical route in my head, for lack of a better term.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I never played FeMC (or P3P) but I'm always bothered by non-canonical stuff, so I'd go for Male MC first. I also vastly prefer his design and color schemes and think they fit much more with the themes and narrative beats of the story.

If that doesn't bother you, though, then don't sweat it.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
FeMC's route deleted some of the worst SL and replaced them w/befriending the other half of the group. Also, the few times you get to play as FeMC in Persona is always worthy.

It fixed most of the plot holes in the original game like what where party member's main motivation and extra scenes.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fxmy04ha7jr31.png

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Play it with FeMC!

I refuse to Persona 3 in any other form then P3P as FeMC, never played any other version of Persona 3 in any other way and never will. Still my favorite Persona game for me. Makes me really sad that if 3 is ever remade Atlus will most likely make sure all traces of FeMC ever existing are gone as usual =/

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I recommend FeMC for the simple reason that P3 FES, which I've admittedly never played to completion, is so vastly better in terms of presentation that you're doing yourself a disservice by experiencing the original protagonist's story in the inferior format.

FeMC, however, is unique, and probably better suited to a run on the coattails of P4 Golden; I'd wager to say that the S. Links are better-written as well.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Check for the character you most want to date and check the opposite sex.

I didn't find FeMC route so interesting or different from the main route. Have in mnind that it was the first time i played P3. But just for que QoL adjustments to fit in the PSP, i think it's a better way to play than FES.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I think the entire point of playing P3P is the female MC route.

P3 FES is the better version of the game if you want to play the original route.