• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Qxgda84.jpg

I've been wanting to play these games for a while. There's a compilation that came out some time ago, but I read that it's apparently atrocious, being full of visual glitches and also sporting massive input lag, rendering the games unplayable.

Cengizhan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands
The only version I played is the Anthology one on the Nintendo Wii. It's available on multiple platforms, but I have no idea what the general sentiment is about the game is.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Good question, I was wondering about this myself. And do any of the decent ways to play also feature an auto-fire option? Having to hammer the fire button during the subway level in 2/X got real tiring in some of the home releases.

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Hamster-ported Arcade Archives on various consoles are the 'best' versions.

I stick with the PS2 Anthology on PS4 because it was super cheap and the port issues don't bother me.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
A lot of people say that the PSP version of Metal Slug Anthology is pretty.

Edit: Pretty good lol

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is PC an option? If so a little bit back there was a Humble NEOGEO 25th Anniversary Bundle, which effectively gave the ROMs for Metal Slug 1, 2, 3, and X legally. That bundle is no longer available, but the individual four games appear to still be offered on the Humble Bundle store, although I have no idea if you still get the ROMs with them.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vita can play the PSP version of Anthology (which has no input lag issue, IMO) and Metal Slug XX (which is exclusive to PSP until the remaster comes out on PS4).

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Used to own the Wii Anthology collection, was perfect.

Tried it on PS4.....not perfect with the weird delay on inputs. Its a Ps2 classic i think.

Had no idea it was on Switch though, so yay.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Was there always some slowdown in the games, even in the arcade versions? People are using the word "perfect" to describe these ports, but I bought Metal Slug X for Switch and while it is very much playable and enjoyable it still has slowdown here and there (and I find the start menus confusing but that's probably just me not being familiar with these Arcade Archives titles).

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
If you have a PS4 or Switch, buy the ACA NEOGEO versions. That's it.

Avoid the PS2 Anthology available for the PS4, because of the bad input lag.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was there always some slowdown in the games, even in the arcade versions? People are using the word "perfect" to describe these ports, but I bought Metal Slug X for Switch and while it is very much playable and enjoyable it still has slowdown here and there (and I find the start menus confusing but that's probably just me not being familiar with these Arcade Archives titles).

It varies from game to game. There was always a little bit of slowdown here and there. Metal Slug 2 (the game X is a remake of) had a LOT of slowdown.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey,
Sorry for the bump. I figured I'd ask this here instead of making another thread.

So people are recommending the "ACA" ports, which are available on PSN, as they have good performance. My question is: are the ports available on GOG these ones? Are they the good ports? Some of the reviews are describing slowdowns and the such, so I'm wondering.

Thanks

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
Hey,
Sorry for the bump. I figured I'd ask this here instead of making another thread.

So people are recommending the "ACA" ports, which are available on PSN, as they have good performance. My question is: are the ports available on GOG these ones? Are they the good ports? Some of the reviews are describing slowdowns and the such, so I'm wondering.

Thanks
I bought a bunch of the neogeo games on gog, and for a lot of them you can't even modify the controls, I'm gonna check mine and tell you which have issues

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For anyone saying the Wii version, note that western releases were altered to remove the flashing effects when shooting bosses, which impacts the experience a bit. Japanese version remains intact and also has Classic Controller support, making it the best version available on yhat console.

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
Hey,

Thanks
Yeah, they're fine, thing to note is that some slowdowns are there even in the arcade versions, so I'd recommend skipping 2 if it bothers you, but these GOG ports ain't the aca ones, they were done by dotemu.