• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last week I had a medium-tier fuck-up at work where there was a miscommunication between me and a coworker that led to us introducing a software bug that prevented some other people from being able to work for an hour or two. Part of the blame could fairly go to me and some could fairly go to the other guy that was involved. It was an honest mistake on both of our parts, but we should have been more in sync with the check-ins to our project. Anyway we corrected our mistake as soon as we were able to. My direct manager doesn't know about it, but he probably will find out, so I want to come clean with him (have a regular weekly check-in with him tomorrow).

What's the best way to own up to a mistake in a professional context that will minimize how much your ass will get lit up immediately now or in a later performance review and doesn't involve throwing someone else under the bus?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's already fixed then don't make a big deal out of it, just mention a technical difficulty occurred due to a minor lack of communication that has since been resolved, if it comes up at all.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just say you screwed up and explain the circumstances, mainly there was a miscommunication issue. Being too defensive is a bit of a red flag. Just explain and let it go unless it escalates at which point yea you can start being defensive.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Just do it. You fixed it, so it really ain't a big deal. In fact, it'll probably show a little initiative.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be honest about it, but bring "why we fucked up" and "how we avoid fucking up in the future"

This is the only important bit. Everyone makes mistakes, this is never a problem and you should not fear it. But if you don't own or learn from them? This is a problem.

Read up on blameless culture. If you are in software shit goes wrong, it is just part of the job.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Own up to it, but also be sure to mention that it was resolved. nbd 🤷

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Don't bring it up unless someone notices it. If it's fixed and nobody is any the wiser then there's no point putting a target on your back.

If someone did notice then own up to the mistake and say what caused it, but then stress that as soon as you noticed the problem you both solved the issue immediately and won't make the same mistake again.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
During your chat with your manager say something like "just wanted to let you know xyz…" Better to be transparent than risk looking like you were covering up the mistake.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
During your chat with your manager say something like "just wanted to let you know xyz…" Better to be transparent than risk looking like you were covering up the mistake.
Yeah I think there's some chance that it could fly under the radar completely if I don't bring it up, but I'll look really bad if he hears about it from someone else first and has to bring it up with me.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Just own up to it.

Honestly in a situation like this is more important vs the mistake.

Don't bring it up unless someone notices it. If it's fixed and nobody is any the wiser then there's no point putting a target on your back.

If someone did notice then own up to the mistake and say what caused it, but then stress that as soon as you noticed the problem you both solved the issue immediately and won't make the same mistake again.
Agree with this too to a certain extent.

If its no big deal, dont make it a big deal about it.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just be straightforward about it.
  • Here's what happened.
  • Here's what we did to fix it.
  • Here's what we learned to minimize the likelihood of it happening again.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
If you microwave something super spicy, don't own up to it. Just a word of wisdom from your friendly neighborhood anustart

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just be straightforward about it.
  • Here's what happened.
  • Here's what we did to fix it.
  • Here's what we learned to minimize the likelihood of it happening again.
Came here to post something like this.

I work in a field that uses Perforce/version control and the worst sin you can commit is leaving your bad submit unresolved for something like an entire weekend or day. You fixed it. I've seen much, much worse.

Oct 27, 2017
It is good to periodically mention any mistakes since it does two things:
  1. It lets your team know if there are certain parts of the workflow that are prone to human-error. Even something as dumb as how you word an email can cause misinterpretation and that is actually a super common mistake in most offices. Part of the reason why I always send very long, detailed requests and summaries in my emails.
  2. If no hears you ever bring up your mistakes, they'll assume you make a lot more mistakes than you actually do. We've all had a coworker who never takes ownership and blames others.
It's not being meek and apologetic, your team wants to know that you can recognize issues and learn from them.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the work culture I guess, how detailed people have to be in reporting their time

Where I worked, nobody would give a crap about something like this, as long nothing bad went out to a customer

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Own up to it as soon as is reasonable UNLESS it's something that'll naturally work itself out.

Better to be honest than be caught in a lie, but there's always points where a fuck up will get fixed by the nature of the job without anyone needing to take responsibility.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the work culture I guess, how detailed people have to be in reporting their time

Where I worked, nobody would give a crap about something like this, as long nothing bad went out to a customer
When we were in the office, if the build was broken, the names of all employees who made a recent check in would automatically be put up on TV monitors around the office floor lol.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
This sounds like a real non-issue tbh. Some people weren't able to work for an hour or two? Unless they are Heart surgeons etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

But in general, own your mistakes. But something this minor, I wouln't bring up myself unless asked. Who cares?

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think there's some chance that it could fly under the radar completely if I don't bring it up, but I'll look really bad if he hears about it from someone else first and has to bring it up with me.

It isn't just about hearing it from someone else.

Someone else will inevitably fuck up and do the same thing. When this comes out, the question will be asked and if it is found you made the mistake and didn't raise it, you are responsible for that problem happening again.

Always raise problems and be part of the solution. This is what software development is.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Imo, take ownership of the fuck up. Send an email to stakeholders that need to know with a bottom line on top. And then details below and then say you're launching a mini RCA to avoid similar events in the future.

This sounds overkill, it is, but it's one way of addressing the issue and coming out looking better than before. And the other person who is also 50% at fault just got wrecked for ignoring it and pretending like it wouldn't get noticed.

Happened to me 2mos ago. Making an infrastructure change on an app I support, and there's like 3 people working on this change and I didn't realize how involved it was and pushed it off to work on it pretty late. I had like 8 or 9 bugs to fix from bash and held off on working on them till the bug fix window, only to realize the problem causing 5 of these was upstream from my change.. basically, the bug was in the infrastructure not my app, I had just assumed it was a bug in my app. Despite the bug being from a different team i fell on my sword for not realizing it until it was too late, and the release got delayed. I ended up looking pretty good because the RCA (root cause analysis, basically keep asking why until you can't answer why anymore) pointed to a bug of fuck ups on the other team that handles the infrastructure. But the reason the release was delayed was all me pushing my bug analysis/investigation off because I was lazy and probably posting on this site.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imo, take ownership of the fuck up. Send an email to stakeholders that need to know with a bottom line on top. And then details below and then say you're launching a mini RCA to avoid similar events in the future.

This sounds overkill, it is, but it's one way of addressing the issue and coming out looking better than before. And the other person who is also 50% at fault just got wrecked for ignoring it and pretending like it wouldn't get noticed.

Happened to me 2mos ago. Making an infrastructure change on an app I support, and there's like 3 people working on this change and I didn't realize how involved it was and pushed it off to work on it pretty late. I had like 8 or 9 bugs to fix from bash and held off on working on them till the bug fix window, only to realize the problem causing 5 of these was upstream from my change.. basically, the bug was in the infrastructure not my app, I had just assumed it was a bug in my app. Despite the bug being from a different team i fell on my sword for not realizing it until it was too late, and the release got delayed. I ended up looking pretty good because the RCA (root cause analysis, basically keep asking why until you can't answer why anymore) pointed to a bug of fuck ups on the other team that handles the infrastructure. But the reason the release was delayed was all me pushing my bug analysis/investigation off because I was lazy and probably posting on this site.
This is pretty similar to what happened to me actually (in broad strokes). Thanks for the advice.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Without knowing more I would be honest with your boss/supervisor.

But I think it is also depends on the personalities and politics at your work place.

I have been working for over 25 years and several different offices and I have seen some cunts find ways to get some honest people fired (they never see it coming).

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without knowing more I would be honest with your boss/supervisor.

But I think it is also depends on the personalities and politics at your work place.

I have been working for over 25 years and several different offices and I have seen some cunts find ways to get some honest people fired (they never see it coming).
It's definitely not a fireable offense, but I could see myself getting a bit of a talking-to about it.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Oh man at first I thought it was something that would get you fired like burning popcorn.

all jokes aside this thread has it covered. Be honest and up front and professional.

Even if you get a talking to take it and learn from it.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Be honest about it, but bring "why we fucked up" and "how we avoid fucking up in the future"

This is the only important bit. Everyone makes mistakes, this is never a problem and you should not fear it. But if you don't own or learn from them? This is a problem.

Read up on blameless culture. If you are in software shit goes wrong, it is just part of the job.

This.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Whenever you have to address it, come ready with a solution for exactly how to prevent any slip ups like that in the future. Always come with answers and communicate what they are, do not leave it for other people to just assume you'll fix things or make them better or figure out the answers for you for the future.

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, this.

I let go of a guy from my team a few months back, not because he made mistakes but because he never once took ownership of the errors, never once showed he was learning from them, never once held his hands up and said "sorry, my fault, it won't happen again".

It was always "X told me to do it" (which was always total bullshit) or "I didn't know about Y" (despite being told the previous day not to do Y) and once, amazingly "Yeah, I spotted the error but issued the work anyway" (as if that was any better! Not only are you telling me you're careless, you're also advertising that you're lazy and unprofessional too). So he had to go.

Everyone makes mistakes, just be honest about them with those who need to know and then learn from them.