• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
for me, it was probably when I saw Miyamoto at an electronics store in Kyoto when I was on vacation and Odyssey had just come out. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for codez or anything.
He said, "I don't understand what you are saying?"
I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Nani?" but he kept cutting me off and going "eto? eto? eto?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Attack on Titan books in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

So, yeah probably Mario Odyssey

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Orange Box is a good answer because of how much TF2 played, but considering how much HL1, HLDM, TFC, CS betas, and single player mods I played, I wonder if Half-Life isn't more accurate. Before that, maybe Starcraft since I played a ton of UMS maps and 2v2 shared and etc. Modern would be FFXIV easily in terms of hours spent.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Top 3

1) Skyrim. Bought £24 new, played 100 hours, sold for £22.50.

2) Civ 5. Bought on a sale in 2012, and have a total of 400 hours.

3) NBA 2K14. Bought full price, but played multiple seasons until 2020

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
That Orange Box in the PS360 era is probably on top of the list for many, but I didnt bite.

For me Apex Legends "costed" one season pass (that was enough to earn 2 more season passes as reward) and probably over a hundred hours of gameplay.

For non free to play games definitely PES. Every year.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Terraria. I probably got it for like $9.99 and have over 300 hours on it. Some chunks of that probably afk farming/letting things grow though.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
CoD MW2 on Xbox 360
game was roughly 60€ + two map packs at 15€ = 90€ game
Doesn't sound too cheap but I played it for like 2 weeks (in game time).

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Probably the Binding of Isaac, Total War: Warhammer 2 or Crusader Kings II, so much good time spent and especially for Warhammer, even with the money spent on DLC, it's just so good. I have almost 1300 hours on Warhammer 2 and will probably get a bunch more before Warhammer 3.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It's the Orange Box. It's still unmatched IMO in how much it brought to the table. Only Halo MCC is somewhat close, but not quite.

I know that Mass Effect Legendary Edition is going to be a fantastic piece of software for me.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Terraria.

Also, any of the free Battle Royal games is a pretty impressive purchase 'value'.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Minecraft. ~7 euros, 1000s hours of entertainment and relaxation.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft III (+ The Frozen Throne).

I played:
  • all the single player campaigns
  • online multiplayer
  • LAN (local) multiplayer
  • a VERY large amount of fun maps created by the community
  • and countless hours (4000+?) of a small little fun map called Defense of the Ancients, or DotA.
Best value ever.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I remember paying ~$35 for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and its Season Pass (which included two large expansions and Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered) about a month after launch. I think that was the biggest bang for the buck I've had. Easily 100+ hours worth of content there, and it was all pretty damn great.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Orange Box is a good answer because of how much TF2 played, but considering how much HL1, HLDM, TFC, CS betas, and single player mods I played, I wonder if Half-Life isn't more accurate. Before that, maybe Starcraft since I played a ton of UMS maps and 2v2 shared and etc. Modern would be FFXIV easily in terms of hours spent.

Orange Box is a great answer, but I fall into Half-Life 1 is the greatest value I ever got out of a game. I played HL1 and it mods (I would add Day of Defeat to that list) for at least 5 years straight. Even when looking at just the mods, there is no game even close to the amount of hours I spent playing TFC. That era might be one of best times I had gaming wise. I was a college student at the time and I hung out with fellow gamers on mIRC everyday, played in several TFC leagues (I even spent sometime as a league admin), due to TFC I discovered how awesome forums were (The Catacombs and of course Something Awful), and ran my own servers. God I remember everyone hating Steam during the beta, but then everyone stayed up late to grab a low Steam ID the night it was officially released (I think mine is like 8,000 something). Does anyone remember when Area51 started doing Half-Life Radio around the time HL2 was released?

I know not everything mentioned was in relation to actually playing the game, but the community you get out of a game is added value and part of the experience. HL1 was the perfect timing of mods, broadband, and online communities. I haven't had a gaming PC in 15+ years now. Talking about all this stuff makes me want to start again.

Edit: I am going to sound like an old man (which I am in comparison to many of you), but is Discord the modern version of mIRC? Is it just voice or is text also?

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
All these years later, it's still Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.

Having little in the way of pocket money to buy other games (being a kid), I played that game for an entire summer vacation off from school, and adored every hour. I beat the ever living tar out of D2X... and I can't wait to go back and play the remastered version over again!

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
World of Warcraft, even with the sub, don't even want to do the math but easily wins.

70a4994a0fb11e768e323820174ec9c6.png

Does this much in a free demo count?

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Probably Genshin Impact. It's the free game that I have taken more time with by far, since it hasn't been intrusive to me with the microtransactions system, despite being it's central core.

I really wish they released an offline version someday where everything is unlockable through missions since they'll have to shut down the servers eventually, but I'm not sure if ANYONE has ever tried doing something like this with their online games.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Value is hard to gauge especially with the rise of excellent F2P games. As a kid, I put a ton of hours into games. As an adult, I feel like Destiny has been excellent value and was the backbone of my gaming experience last gen and so far this gen.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've bought every Kingdom Hearts collection multiple times, and I'll do it again when it comes to PC.

Realistically, it's probably Final Fantasy XIV which feels a little like cheating seeing as it's an MMO, but I've still got hundreds of hours of fun out of it.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Goty edition of witcher 3 for around 20 bucks. 150 hours of mostly excellent content. That will be hard to beat.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I've spent €5 on purchasing Rocket League over the years. I have it on PS, Xbox, and PC. I've put a silly amount of hours into it at this stage.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Easily StarCraft, Diablo 2, World of Warcraft, SSF2T and SF4. The least played of those would be Diablo 2, and I probably had close to a thousand hours with it.
In terms of single-player stuff, the only games that come close are the Souls games. Baldur's Gate 1&2 and the Mass Effect trilogy would come next (mainly ME2 of the trilogy).

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
Assetto Corsa Competizione. Paid 35€ for it last June and am around 300h (practice mode and league races).

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Buying an Xbox 360 since it gave me a career - started making games via its Xbox Live Indie Game service.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Does Apex Legends count?

I've bought like, 2 Battlepasses and have 1000 hours on it.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming Game Pass is out of bounds (it's clearly the best for me).
If so, I'd go old school and say something like SF2, Madden 92, NHL 94, or Master of Magic. All are games I played hundreds of hours of, easily. FF6 is up there as well.
More recently - Mass Effect 1 or Borderlands 2/3.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
CS:GO, bought on launch day for $15 and I'm at 3500+ hours. Next closest would be Halo 2 or Halo 3. Rocket League is up there too.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima comes to mind for most recent releases after Legends dropped as a free update. Amazingly polished and meaty singleplayer campaign and a great coop multiplayer that feels different enough makes GoT a great package all around.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 had a bad launch, but since then EA updated the game constantly for free and it is honestly a fantastic and generous experience now; and it is dirt cheap.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight. It's like 50+ hours of some of the best content ever in a single videogame, for just $15 MSRP

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe Dark Souls on 360, which I picked up for $7.50 on sale and played through on 360 at least 3 times. Unless we are including Games With Gold, Game Pass or PS+ titles...I think that's it for me.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Hollow Knight launching at $15 has to be one of the best deals of all time. Then of course there is great multiplayer offerings which offer hundreds or thousands of hours of gameplay at a low price or even free to play, such as CSGO. It all depends on how deep you get sucked in I guess.

If we are strictly talking retail boxes then Orange Box is still a legendary value proposition.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Probably some of the handheld Animal Crossing games--$40 for at least a hundred ours is pretty good for me.

Alternatively something like my first Game Boy cartridge of Tetris.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
GTAV - I bought two copies at full price (one for X360, one for PS4) and have logged ~2500 hours between the campaign and online. $0.048/hr is pretty cheap entertainment.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Hard to say. I've gotten a few deals through the years for games that are now rare and worth much more, but it doesn't necessarily mean I've gotten "gaming value" from them per se. In the end I can appreciate those games you get very cheap in bundles or whatever that you end up spending more than 30 minutes on. Like "yeah, this would be worth a rental back in the day for a similar price" kind of games. I can't really name any one example though.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got at least 500 hours, maybe closer to 1,000 out of Minecraft which I got for $20 in beta back in 2010 and I've played close to 1,100 hours in Splatoon 2 for a total of $80 including the Octo Expansion dlc. The older Smash games would be up there too. I've played at least 100ish hours in Destiny 2 and haven't paid a cent for it.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Hate to say it here... but Fortnite? Never spent a dime.... hundreds of hours...

I also got into SMITE for a while, but didn't rack up as many hours.

As far as paid games? Civ V, Age of Empires HD Edition (Definitive is great, just haven't built up the hours yet.), and Star Wars Battlefront II are all top played games for myself.