• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I missed the recommendation for Golden Age and I second that as well. Even though it's an Elseworlds it works as a psuedo prequel for both Robinson's Starman and Johns/Robinson's JSA run.

I also really liked Waid and Kitson's since-retconned JLA Year One which similarly updated a prominent DC "Justice" team for a new era.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to post the ones that really stuck with me through all the years of collecting. Personal faves:
- X-Men Age of Apocolypse run. This was probably the tipping point of grabbing a comic here and there as a kid, to full blown addiction. Asking my mom to buy and search for every damn part of the series.
- Batman / Predator. I think Jim Lee even drew it? Such a cool build up to that new batshit.
- Crimson by Humberto Ramos. Pretty cool concept of mixing supernatural with religious characters. Where else can you see vampires fighting dragons?
-Iron Man: Extremis The art was stunning by Adi Granov and I think the first time we see Tony sort of become one with the suit?
-The Ultimates. I missed the boat and got the trade years later.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
But Planetary is really really good.

Agreed with lots of the above, but reiterating:
Neil Gaiman's Sandman
Jeff Smith's Bone
Morrison's Doom Patrol
Moore's Swamp Thing
All Star Superman
JLA: The Nail
Hickman's FF
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck (and the Barks and Rosa duck stories in general)
Watchmen
Simonson Thor (I haven't read the other more recent Thor runs mentioned but I've heard great things)
Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Claremont's run on Uncanny X-men but sure Dark Phoenix Saga

I'll add
Spiegel's Maus
Kurt Busiek's Astro City
John Byrne's FF
Brubaker's Captain America
Saga
John Robinson's Starman
Usagi Yojimbo
Fables
Ultimate Spider-Man
IDW Transformers
Hellboy
Grant Morrison's JLA run
Grant Morrison Animal Man
Immortal Hulk

And lots and lots of manga.
This is the post. I'm going to add one thing to this...
Mister Miracle by Tom King

Dec 30, 2020
main-qimg-5a2bc25c0e9e8bcb546dc58417019f0c

The Death of Garfield storyline by Jim Davis in 1989. Keep in mind these came out as individual strips and IT WAS SO JARRING. Oct 24 is when I caught it in the comics and I had NO IDEA what was happening, and I was so stunned that I went searching to find older newspapers to find out what I'd missed.

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
Neil Gaiman's Sandman
Grant Morrison's Batman Run
Grant Morrison's The Invisibles
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing Run
Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Brian K Vaughan's Y: The Last Man
Brian Bendis' Daredevil Run

Those are my favourites but there are many more.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gaiman's Sandman has been mentioned multiple times, but I didn't see much about its spin-off series.

Of those, Mike Carey's Lucifer is probably my favorite.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Gaiman's Sandman has been mentioned multiple times, but I didn't see much about its spin-off series.
Of those, Mike Carey's Lucifer is probably my favorite.

Also worth noticing :

Endless Nights
Death : The High Cost of Living
Death: The Time of Your Life

The Dream Hunters is also pretty awesome but it is more of a book with amazing illustrations than a proper comic (it has a comic but you need to find the book with Yoshitaka Amano's illustrations. Yes, the FF guy)

Oct 27, 2017
If you want superhero stuff:
- Immortal Hulk (ongoing) by Al Ewing.
- Batman: Gothic, by Grant Morrison
- ... anything by Morrison, really. Infinite Crisis, The Multiversity, Batman, Animal Man, Seven Soldiers, anything.

If you don't want superhero stuff:
- Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware. (Slice of life)
- Severed, by Scott Snyder. (Horror)

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I was going to say All Star Superman, but since that's been said plenty, I have to go with:
  • Superman for All Seasons
  • The Flash: Human Race

AzVal

May 7, 2018
What qualifies as an arc?

Some of the Joker focused stories are great.

also Kingdom Come, so... Kingdom Come. I mean its short.

All 3 Umbrella Academy arcs are fantastic, but Dallas in particular for me.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Lots of great suggestions. I will add:
  • Matt Fraction's Hawkeye
  • Tom King's The Vision
  • Garth Ennis' Punisher run
  • Preacher
  • Ed Brubacker's Criminal
  • Powers

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
It's Trifecta in 2000AD, and to say too much about it would spoil it but the twist was completely unexpected.

2000AD is a weekly anthology title, Trifecta started with three seemingly unrelated strips suddenly crashing into each other and revealed to be one ongoing storyline. Completely unexpected and a unique use of the form : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifecta_(Judge_Dredd_story)

Also, Grant Morrison - Animal Man because it ends outside my first school, where I used to live in Glasgow. Which is a pretty freaky experience for a US comic to be so specific to me.

Last edited:

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Probably Dredd's storylines in order
Block Mania - City of the Damned - The Cursed Earth - Day of Chaos - Democracy - The Doomsday Scenario - The Hunting Party - The Judge Child

Every one was great and spanned a good few years
All of this, Dredd is amazing and has some of the best arcs, especially the 80's years. The Sandman. The Green Arrow Longbow Hunters is brilliant, I loved that whole era of Green Arrow. Hitman by Ennis and McCrea if you want something more adult with some humour, a very underrated series and has an actual ending, so apart from the odd Section 8 tie-in, an introduction via The Demon annual #2 and a Lobo crossover, you can read it alone, plus it has Bueno in it who fights crime through the power of perversion, reason enough in my opinion...

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Born has already been mentioned, but I think the best arc actually comes at the other end of that run.

The Punisher MAX - Valley Forge, Valley Forge
images

As much as Ennis' Punisher is praised, I still feel this arc is underrated. The story is overly predictable in a lot of ways, but it actually has something real to say about the machine of war and it's human cost. The final issue is... Well, it's a gut punch that got to me in a way I wasn't expecting. Worth checking out even if you aren't a fan of the character. Maybe especially if you aren't a fan of the character.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Also, Grant Morrison - Animal Man because it ends outside my first school, where I used to live in Glasgow. Which is a pretty freaky experience for a US comic to be so specific to me.
Amazing run. If you go in blind and have no idea what the book's about and just go with it, you're in for some wild stuff.

I haven't kept up with Marvel or DC in the last years, but Donny Cates' Thanos Wins is one of the best showcases of how great cape comics can be if done right. Only 5 issues, but it has pretty much anything you need. Action-packed, well-written, great art and most importantly lots of crazy stuff going on. I have read that one story 4+ times at this point. I gifted it to a friend who's only familiar with the MCU and he had a blast with it too. A real gem if you want a quick read that's quality all the way through.

Same can be said for Cates' God Country, the standalone story he did for Image.

Last edited:

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
8c3919a4c6614f498fade84d52d561b6.jpg

My favorite comic of the past decade.

And everyone is singing the praises of a certain Gaiman series while sleeping on the true Sandman masterpiece:
71d-Rn-M0-HQx-L.jpg

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! We had a huge character list to make but they gave us an encyclopedia and told us we could also add some, so every time i found something interesting or obscure, i tried to add them.
I think they finally didnt met the cut (because they were added super late) but i even added the whole section 8 team. Of they didnt appear in the game its a pity because i tried really hard to make them as kid firendly as possible so they could be added lol

Never knew before about the golden age, so im gonna take a look into that :)

Sound great, ginna search for it.
I can just imagine a kid typing "dog" or "bueno" and getting a surprise...

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I can just imagine a kid typing "dog" or "bueno" and getting a surprise...
Hahaha, wel the good thing is that a first glance and in the scribs style they werent sexual or violent. I did Bueno Excellente with the trenchcoat closed, so I always thought it would be innocent enough for any kid, and fun enough for any adult that knew about the characters lol An dogwelder was just a welder with a cute puppy in the other had hahaha

When we just started drawing character, we actually did some of the Nazi villains, now that was not even sugarcoated. I dodnt remember the name but we even had the lady with swastikas on her tits drawn (not by me). Of course, an email came that we couldnt add any character with nazi imaginary, which is understandable.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So many good choices but I'm gonna go with the entire run of Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Other choices, in no particular order: Alan Moore's Top Ten, Jos Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Grant Morrison's JLA, Moon and Ba's Daytripper, Brian Azzarello's Spaceman.

There's probably something I'll kick myself for missing, but those are off the top of my head.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Kraven's Last Hunt
Daredevil Born Again
Brubaker on Cap
Fraction (I prefer the earlier issues) on Hawkeye
All Star Superman
Hickman's FF and Secret Wars
Batman Year One

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just super hero?

It not, then the Love & rockets story arc across all their books is one of my favourites for sure.

I post this a lot in comics threads, and never see anyone else talk about it. It's one of the best things I've ever read. Hilarious, magical, excellent characters. Diverse cast (it's set in a fictional Central American Village) and centred mostly around a group of Latin-American friends as they grow from kids to adults.

It uses the magical realism device to inject magical elements into every day happenings, mostly via the imagination of the various characters. There are elements of sci-fi and fantasy in some of the stories too.

Honestly cannot recommend this series enough.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
And everyone is singing the praises of a certain Gaiman series while sleeping on the true Sandman masterpiece:
71d-Rn-M0-HQx-L.jpg
Haven't slept on it, but I do feel it's not very consistent in quality between arcs. Still, I loved the relationship between the two main characters, and the pulp aspect is done well. The worst part of it was the digital recolouring which made the art look terrible at times with the colours being way too bright, but I think physical fares better on that front

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Just super hero?

It not, then the Love & rockets story arc across all their books is one of my favourites for sure.

I post this a lot in comics threads, and never see anyone else talk about it. It's one of the best things I've ever read. Hilarious, magical, excellent characters. Diverse cast (it's set in a fictional Central American Village) and centred mostly around a group of Latin-American friends as they grow from kids to adults.

It uses the magical realism device to inject magical elements into every day happenings, mostly via the imagination of the various characters. There are elements of sci-fi and fantasy in some of the stories too.

Honestly cannot recommend this series enough.

I bought the collections a long time ago on comixology because of their reputation and it seemed, I dunno, really dense, but maybe I was more trying to look at the connective tissue/make sense of continuity more than just reading the story. I should pick it up again.