• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I know it wasn't really in the game, but I've always loved the original NES cover art Zelda shield.

01905.jpg

Seeing this bring back feelings of nostalgia I don't even understand. I'm surprised it's never shown up as an unlockable.

Nov 4, 2017
i think the original mirror shield you linked is kinda bad for the same reason the shield in zelda 1 is bad, it legit just has a real religious symbol on it for no good reason

i just like the hylian shield, especially from botw
Wait what?
Bad just because of a religious symbol?
What the hell?
Did you work at Nintendo's localization department in the 90s?

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
So many good ones in Dark Souls games.
Also all these Zelda shield you people are linking are all ugly as sin, and fucking basic too. Refuse to believe you people would have looked at them even twice if they were in another game.

Oct 29, 2017
No particular order: Hylian Shield (BotW), Hero's Shield (WindWaker/BotW), Knight's Shield (BotW), Purple Flame Shield (Demon's Souls).

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I agree that the best shield is the Hylian Shield. It's too iconic and looks so amazing, but I have to talk about the Mirror Shield from Wind Waker. There is something just so pleasing about its design, I don't know what it is.

320px-Mirror_Shield.png

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Most of the shields I thought of have been posted already. Good thread.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking in terms of how iconic. Then Zelda has two of them.

Shields that actually constantly change builds? Souls.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
IfMoIs2.png

The shield system from the X-Wing series is beautifully designed, with the ability to choose whether your shields are front-facing, rear-facing or all around, and can change on the fly - so you can go fully defensive at the front when making an attack run on a capital ship, then pump all the power to the shields at the rear when the run has finished and you are pulling away...

iRKBBmF.png

...while at the same time managing power levels between shields, lasers and engines which determines the rate at which they recharge - or even deplete if you *really* need engines right now and not shields

Aq50NS0.png

...and then Tie Fighter adds an extra layer to the design of the shield system by, well, taking them away - at least in your first few vehicles, where you're entirely dependent on the sheer speed you have to survive - which does feel like a significant step-up when you do graduate to the newer units which *do* have shields available.

It's one of the most interesting and nuanced approaches to shields in vehicular combat that I've seen, and I love it.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yes!

I also love Fearstruck's design in ESO. It's one of Boethia's daedric artifacts that has been in the lore since Daggerfall but not seen in an of the main games so far. A modder created an amazing design for it in Skyrim though, and it looks like ESO's devs loved it enough to create their version with a similar aesthetic:

ESO Version:
1024px-ON-prerelease-Fearstruck.jpg

Skyrim mod version: