• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
I can't seem to shake The Binding of Isaac. I've got thousands of hours put in—I've beaten it loads of times on three different platforms, yet I still come back to it time and time again. I've played Slay the Spire, Enter the Gungeon, Dead Cells, Risk of Rain and a few others and, while they're wonderful games, they don't have the same addictive draw that TBOI does.

So I guess this thread is more a cry for help because I need to find another roguelite to grip me the way Isaac has over the last 9 years. Xbox is my main platform but I've got a Switch too.

Last edited:

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I really enjoyed Enter the Gungeon, but Binding of Isaac was peak addiction for me and I will pretty much buy any expansion that comes. Pretty much did the whole thing again on Switch, too.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Totally agreed. I've put hundreds of hours in that and it still holds up pretty well.
There is a synergy for every item in the game and no matter how bad it gets, if you're good enough, you can still kind of finish the game.

The only regrettable thing is how the PS4 version seems to have more loading times than the Switch version, for some reason.
I wish that could be patched.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Of the ones I've played, I probably played BoI the most as well! 100% on the first two versions

I really liked Rogue legacy as well. I absolutely hated risk of rain, 2 pixel tall player character and bullet sponge enemies.

Top 5 would probably be

BoI
Rogue Legacy
Enter the gungeon
Dead cells
Into the Breach

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Of the ones I've played, I probably played BoI the most as well! 100% on the first two versions

I really liked Rogue legacy as well. I absolutely hated risk of rain, 2 pixel tall player character and bullet sponge enemies.

Top 5 would probably be

BoI
Rogue Legacy
Enter the gungeon
Dead cells
Into the Breach
There are rouge like tactics games?

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
There are rouge like tactics games?

I'd consider it so!

Each playthrough is generally pretty quick with Into the breach, if you win, awesome, if not, right back at it.

I actually only started playing it recently and was shocked to find it was the way it is, I assumed it was a campaign based game but it's more rogue like in my eyes.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I feel like Isaac got worse with the DLCs. Item balance is worse and they've introduced more difficult and annoying enemies. Hope Repentance rectifies it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
That's a weird way of spelling 'Rogue Legacy'.
I totally forgot about this game, it is great! Is the sequel any good?
I feel like Isaac got worse with the DLCs. Item balance is worse and they've introduced more difficult and annoying enemies. Hope Repentance rectifies it.
You're right, Delirium especially is a massively disappointing boss.

Great suggestions guys, thanks! Keep em coming.

Jan 15, 2018
I've never seen someone spell Spelunky that way before.

In all seriousness though, BoI is one of the handful of roguelikes that I still play and I do love it. Spelunky still has the crown for me though, at least until I get 2.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Rogue Legacy is probably my fav if it counts. Or 20XX! Holy fuck this game is great in a way i wouldn't never expect.

Also really fan of Spelunky. Downwell is really really great, also.

Also Just Get Through, probably the most obscure game mentioned itt since pretty much nobody played it, what a crime this is, i tell ya. Really fun Meat Boy esque roguelite.

Played some Isaac, kind of like it, but dunno, i got bored of it faster than the ones cited above.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Binding of Isaac is one of the least interesting roguelites out there. I'd take Hades, Rogue Legacy or Dead Cells over Binding of Isaac any day.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I love the genre, but BoI is the one that brings me back for at least a little while every year.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
For me it's like:
Isaac
Shiren
Gungeon
Spelunky
Qud

and I was one of the few that hated Rogue Legacy.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
it's a fantastic game but it always felt a little too drifty and squishy to me. running through dead cells is some razor sharp assassin shit in every way. so tight, so snappy. dead cells #1.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
BOI lasted me so long. Got the platinum on PS4. Waiting anxiously for Repentance. The game has an incredibly addictive gameplay loop. Gungeon is good too but didn't quite hit the highs of Isaac for me.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Nothing compares to the way Isaac's items and systems all influence and interact with each other.

BoI
Spelunky
Risk of Rain 1
FTL
Slay the Spire

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Isaac is one of my few comfort games...can constantly go back to it on Switch and just play it and feel right at home.

Always feel like I'm seeing or learning something new too....such a great damn game.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not saying Rogue Legacy or Hades is probably a sign of a serious underlying brain condition.

OP should get that checked out before it deteriorates any further.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Gawd...BoI was one of the first games I purchased for the Switch and I've put around 300 hours into it.

300 hours and I still feel like the game whoops my ass. I love it and hate it.

Dead Cells just sunk its hooks in deep this week after about 40-50 hours.

Edit: I gotta say, a few years ago I didn't give rouge-likes enough respect...or much at all.

Reading through this thread makes me realize my appreciation for so many great games in the genre.

Dead Cells, Into the Breach, Binding of Isaac, Slay the Spire, One Step from Eden, Downwell.

I feel as though I am just now coming around to a greater understanding of the underlying structure of the genre.
Each new game is an opportunity to learn more about how rogue-likes function.
That knowledge has drastically improved my enjoyment of the genre. Rather than starting a game and feeling beyond lost (I'm looking at you BoI) I now know what to watch out for, how to uncover patterns and synergies, how levels are structured.

And there are so many other great games I haven't played yet!

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
None of the other games you listed do synergies as well as Isaac does. You probably want a game that lets you snowball with power as the run progresses. Risk of Rain kinda let you go there, but its nowhere as satisfying.

OP
OP

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Not saying Rogue Legacy or Hades is probably a sign of a serious underlying brain condition.

OP should get that checked out before it deteriorates any further.
What's Hades
None of the other games you listed do synergies as well as Isaac does. You probably want a game that lets you snowball with power as the run progresses. Risk of Rain kinda let you go there, but its nowhere as satisfying.
I really loved Risk of Rain but Isaac's synergies feel so satisfying and unique every game. I know it inside and out at this point and it still feels captivating. There's nothing else like it from what I've played.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
It's Enter the Gungeon easily, BoI feels incredibly outdated mechanically compared to the "new" school of rouguelites.

I'm also surprised seeing someone talk about synergies when outside things like tech or brimstone all the synergies are pretty basic stuff, unlike a game like Gungeon where they would do all the things they'd do in Isaac plus more like giving you a random pet or changing stuff that has to do with the rpg-lite system of the game.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand the whole edgy gross aesthetic of BOI. Completely off-putting for me, and also not really a fan of the way the gameplay feels in that game either. Enter The Gungeon, Hades, and Dead Cells are all more enjoyable.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Hades for roguelites. Risk of Rain / RoR 2 feel more roguelike, but they're up there. I only gave binding of isaac a few hours but it never really clicked with me, and I found Rogue Legacy to be too grindy in the metagame (upgrades) to be worth my time. Still gotta give Enter the Gungeon a solid go. Also never touched Spelunky beyond the tutorial years ago

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm I don't have PC and I never buy games for the Switch unless they're Nintendo exclusives. Should I go with the Switch version anyway or wait for it to go on Xbox?

I'd say get it on Switch so you can play it whenever/wherever, then watch your productivity drop since you're putting 200 hours into it :)

You might want to update the OP with your preferred platforms, though.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Hmm I don't have PC and I never buy games for the Switch unless they're Nintendo exclusives. Should I go with the Switch version anyway or wait for it to go on Xbox?
I think the other consoles are coming at an unspecified date, but holy shit is Hades good. It's got great action, voice acting, writing and looks fantastic. The runs can go a bit long, but it's one of the easiest roguelike recommendations to make.

OP
OP

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
I'd say get it on Switch so you can play it whenever/wherever, then watch your productivity drop since you're putting 200 hours into it :)

You might want to update the OP with your preferred platforms, though.
I think the other consoles are coming at an unspecified date, but holy shit is Hades good. It's got great action, writing, writing and looks fantastic. The runs can go on for a whole, but it's one of the easiest roguelike recommendations to make.
Thanks guys! I'll look into it! I actually really like games with long runs!

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking strictly for Rogue-lites, as in games that have some form of persistent progression, I think no other handles it as well as BOI. Others tend to drag their feet or have little to look forward to, but Isaac is just so excellent at both making new runs not feel like a chore and always giving you some target to shoot for as you continue unlocking more and more items and floors.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Enter the Gungeon easily, BoI feels incredibly outdated mechanically compared to the "new" school of rouguelites.

I'm also surprised seeing someone talk about synergies when outside things like tech or brimstone all the synergies are pretty basic stuff, unlike a game like Gungeon where they would do all the things they'd do in Isaac plus more like giving you a random pet or changing stuff that has to do with the rpg-lite system of the game.
Thank you.

It's Gungeon though probably will be Hades after it hits 1.0

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Side question. I cannot stand the genre, but is it Roguelike or Roguelite???? Is there a difference? Which is right and which is wronh?
It's all pretty silly but the way I look at it is Roguelikes are truly permadeath, everything is available to you from the start, it's just a matter of playing through it. Roguelites water that down and gate you off with persistent progression, things to unlock, metachallenges outside the scope of the run, things like that.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Side question. I cannot stand the genre, but is it Roguelike or Roguelite???? Is there a difference? Which is right and which is wronh?

Roguelikes are games that are very similar to Rogue. Random map generation and permadeath (if you die, you begin a brand new run with zero progression and/or items carried over) are usually two of the defining features.

Roguelites are very similar, but have systems of progression that you can carry into your next run.

This article is actually pretty good at going into the details.

www.nerdmuch.com

Roguelike vs. Roguelite: What's the Difference?

What the hell is the difference between roguelike vs roguelite? We've got you covered with our breakdown of what makes a game one or the other.