• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Almost every Japanese developed game I've played seems to have this exact same trope:

An extremely difficult/tedious post-game dungeon with tons of floors in it.

Some examples from my memory:

Grandia: Tower of Temptation
Tales of Vesperia: Necropolis of Nostalgia
Tales of Destiny: Tower of Druaga
Star Ocean Til the End of Time: Sphere 211
Final Fantasy Tactics: Deep Dungeon (13 floors but still)
Tactics Ogre: Palace of the Dead
Legend of Zelda Windwaker: Savage Labyrinth
Devil May Cry series: Bloody Palace
Paper Mario TTYD: Pit of 100 Trials
Wild Arms Alter Code F: Abyss
Persona 3: Tartarus
Lufia 2: Ancient Dungeon
Final Fantasy VI: Tower of Fanatics
Rogue Galaxy: Twin Towers

Well, which one out there is the best/coolest/most rewarding/banzai?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Togepi's Great Adventure - Tower of Ordeal

99 Floors of rolling goodness

No prize :p

Oct 26, 2017
The original Pokemon Mystery Dungeon post game dungeons were always fun cause there was a legendary to fight and potentially join your team.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many levels does Bitterblack Island has? If it qualifies, its the best.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lufia 2's got the best one.

But I'm fond of Final Fantasy XIV's Deep Dungeons (Palace of the Dead and Heaven on High.)

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The Chrysler Building in Parasite Eve is my personal favorite. Fun place to break out your customized OP weapons, too.

Koenigssee

Nov 17, 2017
Mementos is Persona 5 Royal is extremely fun to grind with the right abilities and upgrades, insta-kill almost everything for that sweet cash money and materials.
Idk if this counts since FFXIV is a MMORPG but the Palace of the Dead in it is also super fun and extremely financially rewarding with a competent party.

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh has a 999 floor Abyss mode.

I haven't stepped into it but of course some people have cleared it entirely.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't think P3's Tartarus qualifies, as you actually need to progress through it to finish the game.

On topic, Parasite Eve's Chrysler Building is a textbook examples: 77 randomized floors and entirely optional (in fact, you need to finish the game before you can access it).

Dragon's Crown has two: Labyrinth of Chaos (99 floors, randomly generated), and Tower of Mirages (infinite floors; some people have reached upwards of floor 50,000).

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

The thread title says 50+ floors, but then the very first example only has 13 floors (Grandia dungeon) so I'm guessing any dungeon that's large works. In which case, pretty much every Etrian Odyssey game except for EO4 (which splits areas up) has an awesome mega-dungeon as the main story dungeon. :)

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Lufia 2's Ancient Cave remains the GOAT.

This!
I can't even think of a clone 2nd.
I played this last year and the Ancient Cave is PURE addiction. I have spent so many hours there.
The blue chests you find are yours to take out with you, and has some amazing gear in them so it's a thrill when you see a blue chest :)

Oct 25, 2017

Loved Bitterblack, even with the repeating floors it felt exactly how a Dragon's Dogma postgame should feel like.

Not exactly equivalent, but I remember in Soul Calibre 2's weapon master mode, one of the final dungeon stages was particularly long compared to the others with gruelling fights, getting through all that stuck with me as a good gaming achievement.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cave of trials from Star Ocean 2. 13 or so floors but still

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
By the time I get to the end of a game it's usually a case of ain't nobody got time for that..

The twin towers in Rogue Galaxy were just a normal dungeon in the main story unless there's something else I never saw

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chrysler Building in PE took me something like 3 years to finish. I remember picking up the Cyanide Bullet mod and walking back down the 10 floors so I could use them in a NG+ while still being able to power level off the mobs lol

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Not that many, but I agree: it's the best post-game dungeon I've ever played.

Complete change of scenery, incredible atmosphere and bosses, and some of these rooms made the gear you spent hours dragonforging to tackle The Everfall feel like delicate silk. It was fantastic.

And you could get the Oblivion armor set, my favorite.