• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've been in an FPS mood lately but the biggest titles (like R6S) are very team-oriented or Battle Royale which I don't enjoy.

What's the best current, well-populated lone-wolf FPS multiplayer that'll keep me entertained til HI drops?

Is it Destiny 2? CoD MW? Halo 5 is full of pros who basically haven't stopped playing that game in years, and MCC is a bit dated for what I'm in the mood for.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You can play destiny 2 solo by yourself but there will be people running around.

Doom and Wolfenstein may fit what you're asking more though.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
I've really enjoyed playing the new Modern Warfare solo and with friends. Or wait till they add solos to the F2P Warzone(Battle Royale) mode.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 is my FPS of choice and I do basically everything solo on there. You can do some silly builds in PvP and I overall have a good time with it tho I play more PvE myself. Gambit is a fun for a bit too tho it can get hella sweaty.
Plus it's free so that helps too.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
H5 and MCC are both totally accessible if you stick to social lobbies. To date, I think H5 is the best competitive shooter on consoles. You won't get much out of Destiny unless you play a lot of PVE.

Battlefront 2 might also be worth look. I haven't played, but I've heard good things.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Destiny 2 is quite good... especially if you've never played it before, there are three campaigns that are now completely free.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
H5 and MCC are both totally accessible if you stick to social lobbies. To date, I think H5 is the best competitive shooter on consoles. You won't get much out of Destiny unless you play a lot of PVE.

Battlefront 2 might also be worth look. I haven't played, but I've heard good things.

I loved both Halo 5 & TF2 MP (a LOT seriously) but they have such small communities you only play against die hard players. It's very hard to play those casually now.

Hunt Showdown is fantastic

is that a BR?

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
If you play Hunt: Showdown solo, are you up against other solos or teams? Or matched with random teammates?

Oct 17, 2018
They're honestly isn't any atm. The obvious best FPS atm is CSGO but it definitely isn't solo enough. All other FPS's pale in comparison, unfortunately.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They're honestly isn't any atm. The obvious best FPS atm is CSGO but it definitely isn't solo enough. All other FPS's pale in comparison, unfortunately.

I agree that its the best FPS out there but for some reason CS matchmaking is the only FPS i enjoy solo I think its because you have so much control over what happens to you.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
If you play Hunt: Showdown solo, are you up against other solos or teams? Or matched with random teammates?
There's a solo mode but it's not very good imo. In the main mode you always go at least against duos. But in my experience it's a great game to play with random partners even without comunication, because what you need to do is pretty straight forward and randoms are usually nice and cooperative, the matches just flow.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
DOOM 2016 is if you like fast paced FPS and power weapon placement on map like Halo.

Was Doom 2016 MP even any good? I never heard anyone mention it.

Oh didn't saw you mentioned it already. It was really a good FPS multiplayer game, especially after the 6.66 update which revamped a lot of thing on the MP side. The gameplay is top notch and it's still really healthy right now regarding online population (just not on Switch unfortunately).

You should really give it a try buddy.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
DOOM 2016 is if you like fast paced FPS and power weapon placement on map like Halo.

Oh didn't saw you mentioned it already. It was really a good FPS multiplayer game, especially after the 6.66 update which revamped a lot of thing on the MP side. The gameplay is top notch and it's still really healthy right now regarding online population (just not on Switch unfortunately).

You should really give it a try buddy.

I'll say this much for DOOM multiplayer, freeze tag was really fun. Everything else MP, eh. But I enjoy a few rounds.

Oct 31, 2017
I know you say lone wolf, and a lot of people would probably disagree with me, but I think Apex Legends, despite being a game built around 3 man squads, is a pretty solid solo-queue game. Especially when you factor in the Pinging system, which people should definitely leverage.

The mechanics are really good, games are relatively brisk 15-25 minutes roughly if you go all the way, and matchmaking is quick (probably regardless of platform, but I play it on PS4 for context).

With the contextual pinging system (and smart usage of it), you can basically fully communicate your player needs to your teammates, regardless if you have a mic/don't want to actually talk/listen to them.

I play it a lot solo-queue, but I do also play with a single partner + a full premade too quite a bit.

It's my game of choice at the moment, especially as someone who loved the Titanfall games and Halo 5, which was essentially my go-to, only multiplayer game for 2+ years.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
The solo-only Quickplay mode is kind of a BR, the normal bounty hunt mode is not. If you play bounty hunt, you will be going up against duos most of the time, even as a solo player. It's best played with at least one other person (there's a trios mode as well but you can opt out of being queued with trios if you are solo or in a duo), though you can totally be successful as a solo player once you learn the game and get used to it. It's quickly become one of my favorite multiplayer shooters ever.

In bounty hunt, there's no ring/storm that closes in on you and you don't have to be the last surviving player to "win." Generally the goal is to have a good time, kill other players while trying to grab boss monster bounties, and extract without getting hunted down.

That said, I dunno if it's a great suggestion for this thread, but it is a really good game.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I still think it's crazy how far Doom Eternal is going in the wrong direction with multiplayer. They looked at how unpopular Doom 2016 multiplayer was and drew entirely incorrect conclusions from it. 2v1 with the 2 being demons? Do they really think people are going to like that?

In other words, the answer I should be giving you is Doom Eternal, but unfortunately it's not.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think it's crazy how far Doom Eternal is going in the wrong direction with multiplayer. They looked at how unpopular Doom 2016 multiplayer was and drew entirely incorrect conclusions from it. 2v1 with the 2 being demons? Do they really think people are going to like that?

In other words, the answer I should be giving you is Doom Eternal, but unfortunately it's not.
I don't think making another multiplayer arena shooter after Unreal, Quake Champions and Doom 2016 deathmatch flopped is a good idea.

And I love asymmetrical multiplayer modes so battlemode looks interesting to me.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I don't think making another multiplayer arena shooter after Unreal, Quake Champions and Doom 2016 deathmatch flopped is a good idea.

And I love asymmetrical multiplayer modes so battlemode looks interesting to me.

More power to you, glad you're getting something you like. I personally think any 2v1 mode is a mistake even if the person by themselves is technically more powerful. It just seems isolating and unbalanced. I can't think of a game like that which has been super popular, but definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

Doom 2016 had a lot going for it, they could have entirely stripped the game bare as deathmatch/TDM with no loadouts, perks, demon runes, etc. and it would have been way better than what it was. That doesn't mean that adding new things is a bad idea, in fact I think it's sorely needed. But they handled it completely wrong, and people still want even starts with standard fast paced fps gameplay (not demons) fighting against each other. They threw the foundation of competitive shooters out the window because they took a wrong turn with 2016.

Quake and Unreal were multiplayer only (so it was their only draw), and playing both I think there was a lot of flaws there and very little forward thinking. Quake Champions was also really hardcore and near impossible for newer players to get into. I also don't think the gameplay/arsenal comes close to what Doom has to offer. Good arena shooters can exist, and if the developers can revive the classic style fps-campaign while integrating modern concepts like they did with their last game, why can't they do it with multiplayer?

Sorry to get off topic...to be honest my answer right now would be COD: MW. Free for All is pretty damn fun to me, although I play TDM and Kill confirmed more.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with others that MW is the best choice here. Definitely the most fun I've had playing an MP shooter by myself in ages.

Also Doom 2016 MP is underrated.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
csgo

put this line in your CFG file:

bind "n" "toggle cl_mute_all_but_friends_and_party 0 1"

(you can change "n" to any key you want)

then press n in game

now everyone is mute including you teammate (excluding those in your steam friend-list)

enjoy the best solo fps ever